Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Optima battery 75/35 install

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Optima battery 75/35 install

Ok, after much experimentation, I have finally found a very quick and cost effective way to install an Optima Red Top 75/35 battery into our cars with stock battery cable setup.

I will edit with pics as soon as I upload the pictures from my camera.

Parts needed:

1 Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (from Costco)
1 set of L to SAE terminals (www.batteriesrus.com) $10.00
1 set of brass marine terminals that use brass bolts and wing nut (Lynx brand @ Kragen or Autozone) $8.49
1 set of wide rubber terminal covers (I got a set from West Marine)
zip ties
5/16 drill bit
Drill
Vise (or clamp)
Angle Grinder or file
X-acto knife or equivalent

Basically, the battery will be installed on its side with the side terminals facing up. In this position, the SAE terminals are in the correct positions to the stock battery cables. What this adapter will do is to allow the use of the SAE adapters to connect to the stock battery cables.

Disassemble the brass marine terminal bolt and wingnut. You will notice threads in the brass marine terminal where the bolt used to be. Fasten the brass marine terminal to the clamp or vise and drill off the threads with the drill bit and drill.
The L to SAE terminals are threaded for 5/16" bolts. This is why the Lynx brass terminals will work perfectly for this application.

Attach the L to SAE terminals to the brass terminal ends using the brass bolt. Keep straight and tighten the bolt until snug. The positive terminal might need some modification to fit properly. Use the angle grinder (or file) to shave some of the brass terminal to fit.

Note: the brass battery disconnect (for the negative terminal only; I got one from Pelican) will work for the negative post, too. The best part is that I can disconnect the battery with 5 twists of my hand instead of scouring for a wrench.

Using the X-acto knife, trim the rubber terminal covers to fit over the brass adapters. The hole will need to be enlarged and the cable connector section will need to be shaved to make room for the battery wire terminals. As added safety, fasten to the brass terminals with the zip ties.

Test fit onto the Optima battery. These adapters will now let you use stock battery cables on the Optima battery when you install into the car.

Note: the stock battery tie-downs will not work for the Optima. I am still figuring out that part. I will edit as I come up with a solution or someone can add to this with a DIY for the hold down or tray (preferably with off the shelf parts at a budget). And no suggesting bungie cords. We need at least some civilized.

Quick Reply: DIY: Optima battery 75/35 install