Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior AND Interior Door Handle is Broken...How do I remove the Door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior AND Interior Door Handle is Broken...How do I remove the Door?

So first it was just the exterior handle--which I was dealing with. Now the interior handle has failed. How do I get the door open to fix it? My guess is that you have to take out the screws that are reachable and peel back the trim to reach in and somehow manually pull the rod(?) to open the door. Any insight here is especially appreciated.

That being said, in addition to looking for the interior and exterior door handle parts, I'm also looking for a Window Regulator.

The window partly stopped working recently, upon further investigation it looks like the gear(s) on the window regulator are bend/broken/stripped. The "window regulator" (per parts diagram) is the whole assembly of the gears and scissor parts that operate the window--seperate from the motor (my motor is fine).

If anyone has the above parts in decent shape please post or PM me--crawling in from the passenger side is going to get old very fast! Thanks in advance...and actually, if there's an easy conversion to manual crank windows, I would be all ears regarding that as well.

Last edited by Jaay87S; 08-18-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are screws near the top of the panel on the sides and screws holding on the door pulls, switches, pockets, and speakers. Then there are a number of pop in plastic things that you can undo with a thin screw driver. Most likely the plastic linkage parts have either fallen off or broke inside the door.

Take a look here at both the door panel and handle procedures...
http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual...dex3.htm#delta

Do the panel first cause if its just linkage you probably won't need to remove the handles to repair or replace them.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

ok...if you are saying your door is closed and you can not open it, search on my threads from the last year +.....I had the same problem and a lister here gave me the solution which worked in about 20mins time. It involved slightly bending the lip of the inner door frame (which if you do gently will bend right back without a mark) to expose where the mechanism on the door jam meets the mechanism on the door edge. Once you can see that, all it takes is a really thin screw driver and you'll have an OPENED DOOR !
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTDT - did just your interior handle break, or is it all still connected and just not working?? You can take the interior handle surroud off and see that part of the linkage and tug on it with some pliers if it's just the handle that broke off. Somehow stuff never breaks in a manner that is that easy though.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes the outside handle stretches just enough so they dont release. Try pushing in on the door with yout hip to relieve the pressure on the latch while pushing the release button on the outside handle slowly but as far in as you can with your finger tips. Should you get lucky be sure to NOT close the door again till removing door panel and or exterior handle.
Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Exterior AND Interior Door Handle is Broken...How do I remove the Door?