Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the top manual...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:19 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Making the top manual...?

I have yet to make my top manual...it works just fine. I have seen a lot of post making me feel like I should start to lower and rais manually. One of these days I am going to get to comfortable and lower it with out paying attention.

Is it as simple as loosening the 2 bolts on the side of the mechanism? Just seems to simple. TIA.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:48 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not understand why everybody wants to convert to manual, my silver car is a manual and the red car is electric.

When buying the silver car I wanted a manual because it so quick, well its not!

You can not close it from inside the car so now you've got to get out, close it, get back inside to lock it then get out again this made me feel pretty stupid with some strangers watching. If you open it from inside the car you've got to let it drop the last bit and that cause the frame to brake.

With the electric roof I often do not even lock it when leaving the car, no one can open it from the outside anyway and when I came back I open it before driving of again. Its real quick too about halve the time my BMW 330Ci took to open or close.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
I do not understand why everybody wants to convert to manual, my silver car is a manual and the red car is electric.

When buying the silver car I wanted a manual because it so quick, well its not!

You can not close it from inside the car so now you've got to get out, close it, get back inside to lock it then get out again this made me feel pretty stupid with some strangers watching. If you open it from inside the car you've got to let it drop the last bit and that cause the frame to brake.

With the electric roof I often do not even lock it when leaving the car, no one can open it from the outside anyway and when I came back I open it before driving of again. Its real quick too about halve the time my BMW 330Ci took to open or close.
Was the power top an option? I think US models only came with power. I have no problems with it now, just don't want any down the road. Sounds like you feel more damage can be done if manually lowered or raised.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

AFAIK it was never an option '89 came manual, '90 and '91 electric.

The place that installed the new roof on my silver car, just after I bought it, told me most common cause of breakage is letting it drop the last 20cm or so.

Johan
Old 06-11-2008, 04:22 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

AFAIK it was never an option '89 came manual, '90 and '91 electric.

The place that installed the new roof on my silver car, just after I bought it, told me most common cause of breakage is letting it drop the last 20cm or so.

Johan
Makes sense...only 90 and 91 in US. Thanks John, now I am starting to think I should keep it electric, you make a good argument.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not understand why everybody wants to convert to manual
The convertible top is prone to breaking -- either the B-pillar bends, or worse yet, the main bow snaps. A third problem is the cross-over cable snapping. I have 3 cabs -- and have experienced all 3 problems.

These problems can be avoided by closing the top manually (and hence more carefully). With a power-top, you don't get any warning -- the pieces just snap as the top closes. But by going manual, you're really not fixing the problem, but you can close the top more gently than under power.

The failures happen not just in the last 20cm. Personally, I haven't really figured out the cause, but there is a thread in another forum that suggests that the alignment of the frame just gets loose over years.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:45 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Measure "X" on both sides. It must not differ by more than 5mm. I think this is the problem...

Last edited by PennyWise; 07-06-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Thanks I'm going to measure mine tonight.
By the way you've got mail.

Quick Reply: Making the top manual...?