Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Rubber smell after complete belt change

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 12:06 AM
Ralf Oehlerich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Burning Rubber smell after complete belt change

OK, so now it is getting weird ! I just returned from a nice 100 mile day on the road and pulled into my garage. I smelled burning rubber (like tires on fire), popped the hood and NOTHING. I had just replaced Timing, balance and both aux. belts myself over the weekend. I have an 87 with auto tensioner but I do have a noticable whinning noise that does not go away, even when the car is warm. I did not replace any rollers, since nothing was making noises before I changed the belts. I am about to open her back up and look for scuff marks or ...??? Don't know what to look for. Any Ideas ???
Old 11-21-2002, 11:36 AM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Take a look all the way down your exaust manifold. upper and under. make sure nothing is in contact with it. Also make sure that the covers are secure and not rubbing externally or internally.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:24 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My first thought was the rear timing cover, there isn't a lot of room between this cover and the belts or pulleys at some points. The only place I can think of a belt "rubbing" would be at the waterpump pully where friction is king. My gut feeling is timing cover though.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:43 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know, whirring is pretty normal based on what rev. & supplier the belts came from. I would guess it is the accessory belts, but better safe than sorry. Sometimes the acc. belts contact the belt housing. Check the outsides of the acc. belts (as in remove them & check) and if everything looks good there, take your covers off. Even if the timing/bal. belt are tight or loose, there isn't usually any rubbing.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:20 PM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

You can also get that burnt rubber smell from a rubber centered clutch that is starting to disintegrate.

If all the belts turn out fine you might take a look at the inspection hole for the clutch.

Quick Reply: Burning Rubber smell after complete belt change