Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo + Previous Owner = GRR! [86/944]

Old 10-22-2007, 03:12 PM
ExitWound
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo + Previous Owner = GRR! [86/944]

Well, I'm attempting to dissect the remains of what the previous owner had done to install a stereo. I bought the car with a disc changer in it, but no head unit. Factory speakers are gone as well, replaced with Kenwood and Generics. Oh this is fun. I've looked through the wiring diagrams, but I can't seem to translate the flat pics to actual three-dimensional space.

After removing the remains of his changer, there are three bundles of cables exposed. I need to identify what these bundles might be for.

Bundle 1

I've managed to deduce that these are the speaker leads. I've labelled two of them (hard to read in the pic) front right and front left as they match the wiring attaching to the front speakers behind the grills. Looks like:
  • Left Front: Brown and White
  • Right Front: Black and Brown/Black

I'm left with "Red & Red/white" and "Yellow & Yellow". It looks like the previous owner at least used color coded his extension wiring to match each speaker. Which do you think is which?

Bundle 2

• Three wires, two of them very large.
  • One is Red/white, the second full brown
  • The third orange/white.

Each has his own proprietary connector meant to go somewhere special. I have no idea where though.

Bundle 3

Lots of wires in this bundle. There's (from top to bottom in picture):
  • Red/white
  • Two green wires that have been spliced into one by the previous owner
  • Two larger brown wires spliced into one.
  • Three red/black wires
  • A Twisted pair with a proprietary connector.

What's missing in the pictures: A light, just like the one that goes behind the clock. The antenna hookup is there as well.

Questions & Thoughts
I know the car used a rear/front fader on the console. I don't want to use this and don't really care if it's non-functional when connected to my headunit. The PO cut those wires behind the switch. I do not know if any of those wires are part of this bundle though.

I wish to replace the speakers eventually, not right now. I read thru Clark's procedure for replacement and I can't believe the rear quarter panel windows are part of the deal! I can't remove the big hex pins that hold the rear seats in place upright though with a normal philipshead screwdriver. They're too large. Do I need a special tool for this?

I wish to set up the stereo this way. Headunit will power all four speakers. An amp will be connected on remote lead to power a "small" bass cannon. What is the best way to wire this all up? Should I do it myself or take it somewhere? I would never take it to a Best Buy or Circuit City, but a local stereo installation shop that I've shopped before. They do nothing but car stereos, a little family owned business. Do you think I should trust the car with a shop such as that? Think they'd know enough to wire up the car and not end up breaking my quarter panel windows for instance?

Which wires in the above bundles are not going to be used when hooking up a stereo in this fashion?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This link has some pretty good info on radio installation in a 944, taka a look: http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqst.html

Here is some other info:

brown speaker wire with red stripe marked "black – right" positive spkr lead,
plain brown speaker wire marked "black – right" Negative spkr lead,
brown speaker wire with red stripe marked "white – left" Positive spkr lead,
plain brown speaker wire marked "white – left" Negative spkr lead,
small red power wire with fuse marked "permanent 12v" ,
small whitish power wire marked "antenna power" ,
large red power wire marked "ignition 12v" , and
large brown power wire marked "ground" .
Old 10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can take a 1.5v battery to the speaker wires and HEAR a scratching sound as you touch the wires to the battery.

as for power/ground... use a meter or a 12v light probe.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and before you repeat the hack job of the previous owner, get yourself a proper wiring harness from Crutchfield.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Been there man...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/239043-12v-constant-for-stereo-battery-connection-edit-to-add-pic.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo + Previous Owner = GRR! [86/944]