Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal free play?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:05 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clutch pedal free play?

Bah. Its been so long since I've driven the car I've forgotten how the clutch pedal is supposed to feel.

Should there be a small amount of resistance-free travel in the pedal (maybe an inch) before you can feel the cylinders moving, or is the pedal supposed to be solid right away like the brake pedal?

I rebled the clutch system three times today and was never able to get rid of the inch or so of free travel in the pedal, so I'm wondering if that is supposed to be there. Or could it be a mis-adjusted linkage from when I installed the new master cylinder?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the pedal to clutch cylinder free play is 0.5mm
Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I am mistaken, but underneath the fuse box on late cars, isn't there a way to manually adjust the play or "softness/stiffnes" of the clutch pedal? If so, you could try adjusting it to your liking.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Yes there is a way to adjust the pedal's feel. I think there is a write up on both at clarks.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Tay-Tay
Instructor

Ya, Clark’s has a good write-up. The manual says 3mm.

When I was at 3mm I think I still had some air in the system, after warming up the freeplay would go away, and under hard driving the clutch would slip. So make sure all air is out (sounds like you have) and be certain you have some freeplay when warm. My experience anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

From the way the linkage is currently is seems that the clutch will be engaging correctly, but I am not able to disengauge it completely as it feel like the slave cylinder isn't extending its full length.

Anyway, I'll check the linkage. Thanks for the suggestion - I had forgotten that it was adjustable.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I adjusted the pedal and seemed to get rid of all play, but I had to extend the linkage out a lot compared to how it had been adjusted with the old cylinder.

I also noticed that it looks like there may be some fluid leaking from somewhere on that area of the firewall. There is some oil on the boot to the brand new cylinder () and then there is a lot of looks to be some sort of fluid on the padding around the steering column. I was thinking about it and realized that I could have gotten some overspray of wd-40 on that area when I was using it to pull wires through the grommit beneath the fuse box, but the area does not feel greasy like wd-40 would make it feel like.

Does this look like fluid leaking from the master cylinder?

In the second picture the red circle shows the fluid on the master cylinder boot, the green circle shows the area around the steering column that looks like it might have gotten fluid on it.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

From your earlier description w/ 1" of pedal freeplay it just might be hydraulic fluid. It's always a bad idea to make the piston overtravel farther than it's designed for from excess freeplay. If it's a rebuilt clutch MC the old parts of the bore where there was never seal travel can be pitted. When you extend the new cup seal into this area it can leak or scratch the seal. Since you have now readjusted it, clean up the boot and see if it leaks again. The slave can be ruined in one accidental push of the clutch pedal before it's securely mounted, it can tear the seal. How does it work otherwise?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Aside from the 1" of play, it works fine. No issues now that I have adjusted the inch of play out. I had to extend the piston away from the pedal, because the play was an inch or less on travel the piston made before there was the normal pressure. Extending the piston away from the pedal has apparently gotten rid of this travel, but I supposed it could be close to making the clutch slip (when we were bleeding the system, even though the 1" of travel didn't accomplish anything of note I could still see the slave cylinder moving a slight amount as the pedal was going through the 1" of freeplay).

Both the slave and master are brand new, unless paragon (or zims? I forget...) screwed up and sent me a rebuilt.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by billthe3
...when we were bleeding the system, even though the 1" of travel didn't accomplish anything of note I could still see the slave cylinder moving a slight amount as the pedal was going through the 1" of freeplay....
Then that wasn't freeplay...freeplay is the gap between the MC rod and the cup in the MC plus a small bit of piston travel to build initial pressure. You should start to see the slave rod move just 'after' your 1/8" of pedal freeplay is taken up. It really is a fine line and the 'resistance' feel is pretty subjective.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:45 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

I had a feeling that was the case. So there is most likely still an air pocket somewhere in the system?

Man these things are a pita to bleed...
Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

What about if you have an other then stock clutch? I have a Spec Stage II in my S2 and the pedal is stiff. No freeplay in the pedal at all. You have to actually push on it to move it. Can't tap it with your foot and move the pedal even an 1/8".

Any ideas? Also, what difference does it make if there isn't freeplay?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:53 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

If there is no freeplay I would think it could potentially mean the clutch might be partially engauged all the time. You should be able to adjust the linkage so there is the 1/8" of freeplay. After you loosen the 13mm nut on the shaft you should be able to spin the piston shaft by hand to adjust the position.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 PM
porscheEH!
Instructor

my clutch pedal has 1.5-2" of free play and it's been that way for years, Never had a problem
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Stiletto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscheEH!
my clutch pedal has 1.5-2" of free play and it's been that way for years, Never had a problem
Same here... I should stop reading Rennlist forums, or I'll end up thinking I have more problems than I do

Quick Reply: clutch pedal free play?