Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't fix my sunroof leak.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't fix my sunroof leak.

I replaced both sunroof seals and replaced the drain tubes with bigger ones, although I screwed up and pulled the gas tank drain tube and can't find wher it connects anymore.

anyways the drain tubes drain fine, I took the sunroof off and poured water in there and it drains quickly.

I also converted to rear manual latches so it's a manual roof now but the front latches are the sam.e

However all this didn't fix the leaks, my rear is still soaked, the rear carpet and rear seat. What I noticed is that the sunroof doesn't seem to close tight enough and I suspect that the two seals may not be touch and not sealing.

To attempt to make the sunroof close tighter I putt 3 pennies under each of the rear clamps and the rear of the roof now is close to being flush with the roof but now the front of the sunroof is stick out above the roof and I can't use anything to make the front clamp tighter.

the problem I think is the sunroof seal, it seems to me too be too thick and doesn't allow the sunroof to go down as much as it needs to seal tight.

I ordered this seal from paragon and I've already cut and installed it and according to paragon ( I phoned them) it's the correct seal for my 85.5.

not sure what else to do...... for now I've covered the car as I don't have a garage. I was seriously thinking of just gluing or siliconing the sunroof shut.... pretty ghetto but I've tried the proper way and I don't like having a pool of water in my car, plus I never even use the stupid sunroof.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

maybe I'll have my porsche shop look at it when I get the oil pan gasket replaced in a few months.

Also anyone know how tough it is to find a used hatch that is not separating and get it shipped to Canada. Mine is separating pretty bad and I doubt any glass shop will fix it.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The hatch is a PITA to fix. But it's also a PITA to ship. I'm sure you can find a glass shop to do it. Either they won't know what they're getting into and they'll hate you afterwards, or they will know what they're getting into and turn you down.

Are you quite sure the leak is from your sunroof? Try covering the sunroof seal with tape or something, and hose down the car. If it still leaks, start looking elsewhere.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:41 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I've tried hosing down the car but I did not see any leaks like that but after it rains all night it's wet on the carpet.

the leak is a pain in the ***, it's basicly wrecking my interior, the roof vinyl is getting ripped up and now the car smells moldy. I've covered the car with a taurp for now so it doens't flood even worse, but the car is still wet inside, water dripping from the winshield and back window from evaporation and I noited there is water in my gauges now from the water evaporating and getting into everwhere.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

does everyone elses sunroof stick above the roof line? I think my sunroof seal is too thick and it's not going down enough to seal tight with the body seal.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 AM
Apex944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
does everyone elses sunroof stick above the roof line? I think my sunroof seal is too thick and it's not going down enough to seal tight with the body seal.
Mine sits flush with the roof, maybe your seal is too thick.
Is it an orginal porsche seal for the sunroof?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The sunroof on my old 944 always sat a little above the roof level.

Have you checked your battery tray? Perhaps a small hole has rusted through and water is getting in from there? This happened to both mercedes' I had.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

the first thing I did when I got my 944 was scrap the battery tray down to metal and poked through some tiny rusty spots and filled it with epoxy and I painted the tray with por15 so it should be okay.

plus the front carpet and seats are not wet at all. the rear carpet behind the front seats and the rear seats get wet.

I got my sunroof seal from paragon I pad like 130 bucks I think and I told them that I have an 85.5 944 and this is the seal that I got. Maybe it's an aftermarket seal? I'm pretty sure it said porsche on the plastic.

I think I'll have to just cover the car until I go to my shop after my classes are over in april and have them check it out, they would probably know if the seal is too thick.

right now I have 3 pennies under the rear latches and it clamps down very hard and it's close to being flush but then the front clearly stick out. However I don't understand how a sunroof leak only gets teh rear carpet and seats wet and not the front seats and carpet.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Are both sides of the car getting water? If not, maybe one of the quarter windows is leaking?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:02 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine leaks also, and the center of the sunroof sticks up higher than the roof line, i think the roof itself is warped
Old 02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do as previously mentioned and tape the sunroof and see if you still have the leak. I am not a sunroof expert but I believe you would have to have a fair size gap between the upper sunroof seal and the body to allow enough water through that the drains could not handle.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah both sides of the rear seat get wet and the sunroof itself seems to be dripping with water all over but that might be from evaporation because when I leave the car for a few days the hatch glass and winshield are also really wet and water is dripping off of them.

the back carpet and seats are mainly soaked though.

Quick Reply: Can't fix my sunroof leak.