Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944, tune-up, etc. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944, tune-up, etc. What do I do?

Hey guys,

Long story short, I bought a car sight un-seen that didn't run. I got it for a pretty decent price, and managed to get it running. You can track my progress here:

http://www.pontiacperformance.net/

(Go to "Current Cars" and then select the 84 Porsche 944)

Basically, I've been working primarily on the interior since now I know it "runs". The motor idled quite well actually. I had to rig up the starter to start directly from the battery (temporarily) until I receive my new ignition switch. I also had to wire directly the fuel pump to the battery (just to get it "running").

I've ordered a bunch of stuff, and plan to get it back into top shape.

Now, here are the questions I have:

1 - Timing Belt - should I just replace it to be on the safe side? If so, what is the BEST timing belt for me to get, and does it come with a "kit" (like a tensioner, etc?). Is there anything I should be careful of? I've rebuilt motors before, but I've never owned a car that used a belt... especially not in a clearance motor. Any advice?

2 - Draining the tank - the FP that's already on the car looks brand new. But, I'm sure that whatever is in the tank, has been there for some time. I'd like to change it out. Do I need to worry about the fuel lines? Do they rust inside? Are there any weak points or "joints" that need replacing? I ordered a new Mahle fuel filter and plan on installnig that.

3 - What are the ideal plug wires, cap / rotor / plugs to use in this car, and what should I gap the plugs?

4 - Is there anything else I shoudl consider replacing other than changing the oil and filter?

5 - What about the "barn door" AFM? Is that something that goes bad or needs servicing? I noticed that when I got the car running, and then blipped the throttle... it seemed to hesitate. I think that had more to do with the fuel, but I wasn't sure.

Any other suggestions (any grease fittings on the suspension???) I'd appreciate.

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944 5-Speed
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 01-15-2007, 06:55 PM
MAD MAC
Instructor

Definately do the timming belts. and reseal the shafts at the same time. Most kits have both. Contitech belts are good and most seal kits are OEM grade. Make sure you get the tension tool and roller tool or you can't do the job.

Dont know about the tank, I never had a problem.

If you want the simple solution just use Bosch for the ignition stuff.

check and make sure the car has no small air leaks or cracked vacum hoses since this causes a bad idle and also clean and oil the Air meter.

Also inspect the ref sensors on the back of the engine to see if they are looking old and brittle.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:48 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Those belts are important as well as front engine seals and the waterpump.

Use bosche for all your electronic equipment as that is who designed the motronic system anyways.

80's VW's have the same ignition module as the 944 as well as door handles so thats the cheapest way to get going there.
I bought my car for 300 dollars in the same condition as yours (it was abandoned and I didnt even have a key.) Its taken me over a year and 1/2 to restore it to where it feels like a "Porsche" again so have fun!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Check out this web site, you will find it better than any manual.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

The barn door AFM measures air flow by how far open the door is open by the air coming into the engine. The down side is that there is more pressure loss than a hot wire type. The upside is they last a long time and can be repaired at home. They also are not bothered by oil from a K&N filter. See the website above for a great how-to if you suspect the AFM is giving you problems.

You should include your location in your signature, there are probably 'listers close by who can help you with the timing belt special tools etc.

Lou
Old 01-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do NOT use Bosch Platniums for your plugs. The 944 does not like them. I just replaced them with some proper WR-8DS's. Wondered why it was running oddly. Runs much better with proper plugs.

Bosch ignition stuff is kinda.. eh...

I've just done about $700 in basic gremlin squishing. Lots of replaced gaskets, all fluids, expendables, and some hoses, bunch of stuff, nothing major. Thats not including stuff for TB/WP.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Erzengal
Just do NOT use Bosch Platniums for your plugs. The 944 does not like them. I just replaced them with some proper WR-8DS's. Wondered why it was running oddly. Runs much better with proper plugs.

I've just done about $700 in basic gremlin squishing. Lots of replaced gaskets, all fluids, expendables, and some hoses, bunch of stuff, nothing major. Thats not including stuff for TB/WP.
I concur. Bosch Coppers are the best plugs for this engine/car. Plats cause problems.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 AM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

I have used the plats and they work ok in my car - I have also used the coppers and they worked good too so I guess I dont really have a preference. Why do you guys think the platinums lead to trouble?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:13 AM
MAD MAC
Instructor

I don't know because plats are fine in my car. It's running great. Someone please let me know and I'll change tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't remeber the exact response. I'll ask again tomorrow. Basically, they just don't work right.

When you start off a conversation about plugs and not working, and you get Ah.. Plats? haha.
Also confirmed by my tech who's been working/owning front engine porsches for 15+ years. He was the one that first told me about them. Had a few others mention it as well.

Most use the plats because they are a lot cheaper. Though the Coppers are supposed to have a longer life.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:51 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Erzengal

Sorry...............total BULL****!...............IMHO. Platinum plugs, that is.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:15 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plugs, cap rotor, air filter, fuel filter, timing belt / seals/ water pump if it's really old / high milliage.

I would also replace all the fluids, oil, power steering, brake fluid, tranny fluid.

Quick Reply: 944, tune-up, etc. What do I do?