Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dressing Brake Pads.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
dnwong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dressing Brake Pads.

I called pelican and was going to buy new brake pads for the rear. Told the guy that I just put new Zimmerman rotors and still had a bunch of brake squeal. The guy at pelican told me to dress my brake pads instead of getting new ones. He saids lot of folks who put new cross drilled rotors have this problem. To dress them, you need to grind the rear corners of the pads. Does that sound right to anyone else.

Also, unless I have racing pads, I do not need to bed oem pads...
Old 10-26-2006, 12:37 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by dnwong
I called pelican and was going to buy new brake pads for the rear. Told the guy that I just put new Zimmerman rotors and still had a bunch of brake squeal. The guy at pelican told me to dress my brake pads instead of getting new ones. He saids lot of folks who put new cross drilled rotors have this problem. To dress them, you need to grind the rear corners of the pads. Does that sound right to anyone else.

Also, unless I have racing pads, I do not need to bed oem pads...
I did cross drilled Zimmermann rotors with old pads. You need to bed any new or old pads when you change rotors, racing or not. Never had to 'dress' a pad in my life. My brakes have never squealed yet.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:42 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

youre supposed to dress the pads when you dont change the rotors..this is because there will be slight grooves in the rotors from the previous pads, its just a chanfer around the edge...as for new pads...and rotors, you shouldnt need to do that...are the pads oem? i just put zimmerman cross drilled rotors on my car with new oem pads...the only squeal i have is when the pedal is pressed very lightly, and even then its not that much...if the pad is not oem..sometimes they just squeal for the hell of it

also..was everything perfectly clean when you assembled it all? that is important as well
Old 10-26-2006, 01:57 PM
dnwong
Pro

actually the pad were used with 80% left. they are pagid oems. right now I only have a light squeal also. Thats after putting a lot of anti squeal compound at the pads.

yep cleaned eveything with brake cleaner.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

"Cross" and "dress" in the same post? I would have expected this to come from someone else....

Quick Reply: Dressing Brake Pads.