Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1-800-PORSCHE sucks a mean one. Here's why:

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:42 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Default 1-800-PORSCHE sucks a mean one. Here's why:

DISCLAIMER

I could post this topic in Off Topic, but seeing that its specifically Porsche related and quasi 944 related Im going to put it here among all you fine people.

INTRODUCTION

Around May or June I decided to bite the bullet and order me-self a pair of official genuine authentic original Porsche Certificates of Authenticity for the rolling stock. The rolling stock is heretofore introduced into evidence as Exhibit A, a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo in Graphite Metallic on Burgundy, and Exhibit B, a 1988 Porsche 911 Turbo in Guards Red on Champagne. Both of these vehicles are registered in the state of Ohio under my name and I have been the owner of Exhibit A for approximately 7 years, while Exhibit B has been under my safekeeping for approximately 3 years.

THE FACTS

I, Christopher Rieman, known here as the “Complainant”, downloaded proper forms from RENNLIST.COM, an Internet site specific to the general discussion of Porsche automobiles and Porsche-related topics, typically among owners and would-be owners. RENNLIST.COM is not affiliated with Porsche Cars North America and doesnt not necessarily endorse any PCNA product or service, and such forms are offered as a courtesy only.

I filled out proper forms for subsequent COAs from Porsche Cars North America, known as the “Defendant” or “PCNA”, and affixed a check in the amount of USD$190.00 as payment in full for the certification process, certificate, and mailing expenses to my home address in Dayton, OH.

Approximately one month after sending requisite materials, forms, and payment to PCNA, I made a follow-up phone call via their customer service line. This service line, entered into evidence as Exhibit C as “1-800-PORSCHE”, is marketed, promoted, and used in sales and other automotive literature as a branding tool to better represent the car company’s commitment to relentless owner service alongside their never-ending attention to mechanical perfection. At that time I was told that my COAs were nearing completion and to expect them shortly.

Roughly one week after that conversation I received said COAs, entered into evidence as Article 1 for Exhibit A, and Article 2 for Exhibit B. Attached alongside the COAs was a personal letter from PCNA underlining the painstaking process by which Porsches undergo rigorous background checks to qualify for a COA, along with the general commitment to all things worth doing well by PCNA.

Upon close inspection of the COAs, I made the following determinations:

1. Article 1 was proper and accurately reflected Exhibit A, a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo, as I have come to know it.

2. Article 2 was entirely mistake-filled and looked as if someone was trying to ‘Pimp Das Auto” with features and options impossible on a Porsche of such vintage. In particular, PCNA made the following errors: grey/black interior cloth seats were claimed instead of champagne leather, bucket seat XT passenger side was claimed when they were ‘Sport” seats both driver and passenger, and PCNA claimed my 1988 3.3 litre Porsche 911 Turbo was outfitted with Sport Touring Package-Tiptronic.

As the court of public opinion can imagine, I was disturbed by the lack of obvious attention to simple rules of thumb those in charge of PCNA COA’s would seemingly be aware of pertaining to options and codes, so I made a prompt phone call to 1-800-PORSCHE to get to the bottom of things.

In that conversation I was told to send a letter PCNA headquarters in Atlanta, GA, outlining the specific details of the original COA errors and to send it to the attention of the person in charge of PCNA COA’s. Entered into evidence as Witness A, we shall use the name “Jane Doe” to protect the parties in this matter.

With the conversation with Jane Doe and the letter sent, I waited for word on my correct COA. Ten to 14 days past before I heard from PCNA again, and repeated phone calls to PCNA went ignored or unreturned. Upon reaching PCNA again, I walked through the original COA with the personnel at PCNA line item by line item noting the discrepancies and trouble spots along the way. I even mentioned a potential error in stated MSRP and quoted official Porsche MSRP numbers from 1988 Porsche Fact Book, entered into evidence as Exhibit D. The Porsche Fact Book was and remains a sales tool for Porsche salespersons to carry in their pocket and refer to when asked about specific prices, options, and codes of a particular model in the Porsche lineup. After running through all of these discrepancies, both parties hung up the phone satisfied with the outcome.

Roughly four weeks lapsed without the revised COA for Exhibit B arriving at my door. I made another phone call to 1-800-PORSCHE to get a briefing on the whereabouts and was told they would be shipping out in the next 7 days.

Roughly two weeks later I made another call to 1-800-PORSCHE to receive a status on the whereabouts of the revised Exhibit B, and was told PCNA ran out of paper stock and COAs had been delayed. Upon inspection of the original Exhibit B, still in my possession, it appeared the paper stock was relatively benign in nature and could have been sourced on a same-day effort at any local office supply store in the greater Atlanta metropolitan area. Be that as it may, I was promised once again that my corrected COA would arrive in the next five days at the very latest.

My COA arrived the following afternoon via UPS Express letter. However it contained errors once again, this time specifying grey/black interior with cloth seats. The stated MSRP remained at $57,857.00, roughly $10,000 lower than Exhibit E, the base MSRP as stated in the 1988 Porsche Fact Book ($66,025.00). With options and delivery charges, the stated MSRP of the revised COA remains roughly $15,000 below estimated figures.

As the jury can imagine, I was exceedingly displeased with the findings and in light of the continued delays in receiving the revised Exhibit B, was growing more and more concerned that PCNA lacked the wherewithal to furnish me with a suitable COA for my vehicle.

I called 1-800-PORSCHE to discuss the matter and spoke with personnel who advised the person in charge of COAs, Jane Doe, had left for the day but would receive my message and return my call the following afternoon. I received no return call for three days and called 1-800-PORSCHE once again to speak with someone who could solve my problem. I re-stated the perceived errors on the revised COA and that I was promised a return call and had yet to receive one. I was told the person who handles the COAs, Jane Doe, was out to lunch but would follow up with me upon her return to the office. I left my office number once again to be sure there were no contact information errors. I received no phone call for two further days. I called 1-800-PORSCHE late last week hoping to speak with either Jane Doe, or another person employed by PCNA who can expedite this matter and see to it my COA is handled at all and was told Jane Doe would follow up with me as soon as she returned to the office.

THE COMPLAINT

PCNA has failed to provide with timely, professional service of my automotive needs in exchange for compensation for aforementioned services. As a Porsche owner, I pay a premium to drive a Porsche and ultimately pay a premium beyond that in order to own and maintain multiple Porsche automobiles in my collection. As a consumer there are many options and alternatives and I choose to drive Porsches because of the level of detail I expect out of Porsche automobiles, however that same expectation applies to the car company behind the cars and the service people in charge of taking care of those like myself who choose to make significant financial sacrifices in order to enjoy the luxury of a Porsche automobile. The expectations of PCNA have not been met and a remedy to this situation is several months overdue.

DAMAGES

The Complainant alleges damages of $95.00, the cost of one COA, as well as infinite time and patience to deal with PCNA headquarters in Atlanta, GA, over the last several months. I also allege compensatory damages in the amount of $95.00, the cost of having to authenticate Exhibit B on my own throughout the entire certification process. Finally, I alleged punitive damages of $500.00 for my professional time and energy to sort this matter out in my personal time. Emotional distress and anguish may result in a separate claim at a later date.

CONCLUSION

1-800-PORSCHE and those who work behind the brand, those subsidiaries, and partners associated with PCNA, are a bunch of ****ing retards who couldn’t find the back side of their *** with a full length mirror and set of Bushnells. As the consumer I have done everything in my power, have gone above and beyond the call of duty, have stretched my infinite time and patience to levels far past the point of understanding, and have done everything asked promptly and efficiently in order to cleanse this problem from the Cluster**** Wing of the PCNA COA library, and have yet to find any reasonable remedy or solution to this ongoing issue. It’s a god-damned 930. There are thousands of them. It’s not like I was requesting the COA of a 911 Carrera RS or a Flachbau. And even were that the case, I suspect a returned phone call would not be too much to ask for parting with a sizable sum of money in order to enjoy the ownership experience of a Porsche. There is a reason I drive Porsches and not Chevrolet. I expect a level of service commensurate with the level of automobile.

Obviously PCNA feels otherwise. And be that as it may, now the rest of the world knows it.

WITNESS HEREIN
This day, Monday October 2, 2006, Christopher Rieman
Old 10-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

So how's the Infinti working out?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
So how's the Infinti working out?
I was wondering also about UD's japanese commitment, Scott..
Old 10-02-2006, 09:33 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

gotta love customer service!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:45 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Man, I hear ya. I sent my request in and it came back that I had some crappy, low-optioned run of the mill 85.5 944. What a bunch of BS.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:59 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to get new back seatbelts from them, as my 83 ones are non-retractable and there is a NHTSA recall on them. PCNA claimed there was nothing for my VIN, yet you can type in the claim and the government has it right there. They specify replacement at the company's charge.

Really, all I wanted was a set without cracked plastic, if they still have any in inventory.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

That sucks. Is there anyway that you could have your local dealer look into it? I know our dealer here (Porsche of Nashua) has GREAT customer service and really goes above and beyond for owners.

Fantastic post.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Why did you pay $190 dollars?

I just go to the local dealership "Father & Sons" in West Springfield, MA. Talk to the Porsche service rep and give him the VIN. 2 min later he prints out the PCNA pull I then bump it with the option codes.

I was not uncommon for customers to upgrade options at the dealership, and that never makes to the PCNA pull. The PCNA pull represents the options that were installed on the car prior to any special order. If this car were special order from the factory the PCNA pull may not be correct. Some options are installed at the dealership prior to sale based on the potential owners request prior to purchase.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 AM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

and this is why i will never sell anyone in the legal profession parts knowingly
Old 10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Take em down! in the least you get a nice letter on Porsche® letterhead
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Verry funny post!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

No special options on my car. Sport seats, limited slip, leather, sunroof, black velour trunk carpet, Reno radio, and a couple other factory options.

It just boggles the effing mind.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:42 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by LGCs
"1-800-PORSCHE and those who work behind the brand, those subsidiaries, and partners associated with PCNA, are a bunch of ****ing retards who couldn’t find the back side of their *** with a full length mirror and set of Bushnells. As the consumer I have done everything in my power, have gone above and beyond the call of duty, have stretched my infinite time and patience to levels far past the point of understanding, and have done everything asked promptly and efficiently in order to cleanse this problem from the Cluster**** Wing of the PCNA COA library, and have yet to find any reasonable remedy or solution to this ongoing issue..."

Amen. I wasted money on a COA that is obviously W R O N G, too.

I'm not sure if I care enough to fight for a corrected one.

If you find out how to get a correct one, please post instructions!
No you did not waste money, your just being honest/not expecting a free ride, and paid for a service that a Porsche Dealership would do for free. The rest they charge for, but they normally do good work.

In a real PCNA pull there is number that tells you what dealership your car was sold at. That Dealership may have hand jammed and saved some info in their record of the car. Maybe?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Exhibit A, a 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo in Graphite Metallic on Burgundy, and Exhibit B, a 1988 Porsche 911 Turbo in Guards Red on Champagne. Both of these vehicles are registered in the state of Ohio under my name and I have been the owner of Exhibit A for approximately 7 years, while Exhibit B has been under my safekeeping for approximately 3 years.

you're not the original owner and who's to say you didn't get something with a salvage title that had been wrecked and redone.

1.800.porsche folks have been very accomodating every time i've called for info like you asked for.

they provided you with info but it wasn't the picture you expected.

the coa seemed to be nothing more than what's listed in the front of the owners manual and wasn't worth the $95 to me.

by the way are you an attorney or law student?

Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bearone
you're not the original owner and who's to say you didn't get something with a salvage title that had been wrecked and redone.
I say. The car is concours. If it was redone, someone spent twice the cars actual value to put it back together. Unless you are stupid, have no other hobbies, and enjoy doing things the hard way, no one would ever bother.

they provided you with info but it wasn't the picture you expected.
thats because the picture was wrong. For jesus ****ing christ's sake they originally had my 1988 equipped with a god damned Tiptronic. Does Porsche not realize Tiptronics never saw the light of day until the 964? Then on the second COA, they miraculously concluded it was indeed not a Tiptronic. They even concluded I had Sport seats (finally) and not XT seats. But yet they still cannot get the interior codes correct, despite the fact that Ive GIVEN them the options codes (matching everywhere on the car of course) of every paint and color code, and installed option.

the coa seemed to be nothing more than what's listed in the front of the owners manual and wasn't worth the $95 to me.
Agreed. For what you get its not much. However, to verify the authenticity, and help facilitate a sale or market value if it ever came to it, $95.00 is couch change to get a point across to some ******** looking to kick tires all day.

by the way are you an attorney or law student?
neither. i cant stand em!

Quick Reply: 1-800-PORSCHE sucks a mean one. Here's why: