Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning/polishing fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cleaning/polishing fuchs

yes, i know, searchy mcsearch shark.

i searched but i didnt find what to use to clean the **** out of fuchs.

i have a bit of caked on brake dust and some water spots

i got the waterspots off the paint, but they're still on the wheels in places.

i'd like to clean the center and polish the lip/center a bit if i can before Deutsches Motorfest on saturday/sunday, so i dont have time to strip it all down.

will the Mother's Powerball MD or regular Powerball and scratch removal polish or other metal polish work?

or is that all snake oil?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:26 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

If your Fuchs still have clearcoat over the anodizing there's not much you can do at this point to polish them unless you strip/sand/sand/sand...did I mention sand! BTW if you know of anyone local needing 2 full weekend tickets to Deutsches Motorfest let me know; looks like the BMW headgasket is going to tie up my weekend. I'm starting to hate German cars lately.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:52 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i think the clearcoating is prob. gone........

i just want to clean the crap out of 'em at this point. get them refinished a little later down the road after i get my Cup II's........

do you think that mothers aluminum scratch polish or regular aluminum polish will do anything?

i think i might just polish them myself when the rain gets here and i have nothing to do after work........

about the motorfest ticket- i'll get back to you on that.......

what's your price?

i think i might be able to get my friend with the RX7 to come out.

i think Erika might not want to go on sunday, do you wanna hitch a ride as my life partner?

Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish DMF was last weekend and not this weekend, because this weekend I have to move to riverside.

I refinished my fuchs to clean up the centers. All I needed to do was: Clean them with w/e (soap, scotchbrite - don't scotchbrite the lip! Only the painted part, and only if you are going to repaint it). Then scuff sand the painted area with 400 or 500 grit sandpaper, then mask the lip, then paint. Clear coat if you want. Takes a couple hours per wheel, or you can do multiple wheels simultaneously to save time (paint one while the other dries, etc).

for doing the lips, i think it just involves enough sanding to make a desert jealous, and then buffing and polishing. Doing it by hand will take a very, very long time. Try to get a set-up where things rotate quickly.

Quick Reply: cleaning/polishing fuchs