Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here has the KLA cubbie subwoofer box?

Old 08-16-2006, 09:42 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here has the KLA cubbie subwoofer box?

Who has one of the KLA subwoofer boxes. I am thinking of getting one for my pass. side cubby, but am not sure yet. How are they? What subwoofer did you put it in? Is it enough for your taste?

Also, if someone has one for sale, I would be interested.

Coupe things.. I wouldn't get the MTX subwoofer that he has listed with it. I would probably go with a JL 8w0. Unfortunately, the 8w3 or 8w7 won't fit per the guy at KLA so the only thing left JL makes is the w0. Other options are less appealing, but I haven't looked too hard yet. I'll be running a very clean 150W RMS to the subwoofer from my a/d/s PQ20 amp.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I put mine in about a month ago. At the time, KLA was offering a Fosgate Punch 1 sub with their setup. I bought a Punch 2 and installed it in their box - that was easy. It fits snugly into the cubby and sounds great. I didn't remove the carpet backing at all - just propped the hatch carpet up a little. Only issue I had was the speaker connection shorting out against the body tower in the cubby. Would like to have seen the connections on top for that reason.

Search the threads for more opinions.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it and I like it a lot. It won't blow you away with bass but it will definitely enhance the bottom end. Parts Express has a line of woofers they call Quatro and their 8" sub is made for small sealed enclosures. I'm running 150 watts to mine. One reason I love it is that it is out of site in a place where I would otherwise have wasted space.

Keep in mind that woofers need to be mated to the box they are in - ported vs sealed, large vs small etc. so don't burn a lot of money on a woofer that isn't suited to the box you are putting it in.

I think the ultimate would be to have two of these - even if you ran half the power to each. You'd simply get more bass.

Also, the presence of the sub means you can cross over your front speakers at a higher level to clean up the sound from them and that is worth doing.

Also, one of the greatest things you can do for your audio system is to quiet the car as much as possible using products like Dynamat extreme and others. If do a search on my user ID you'll find some other discussions about the KLA and sound dampening etc.

Good Luck,

Phil
Old 08-16-2006, 10:20 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Another sub I am looking at is the Polk MM2084 8" subwoofer. Anyone know if it will fit?

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mm2084/
Old 08-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phil0618
Keep in mind that woofers need to be mated to the box they are in - ported vs sealed, large vs small etc. so don't burn a lot of money on a woofer that isn't suited to the box you are putting it in.

I think the ultimate would be to have two of these - even if you ran half the power to each. You'd simply get more bass.

Also, the presence of the sub means you can cross over your front speakers at a higher level to clean up the sound from them and that is worth doing.

Also, one of the greatest things you can do for your audio system is to quiet the car as much as possible using products like Dynamat extreme and others. If do a search on my user ID you'll find some other discussions about the KLA and sound dampening etc.

Good Luck,

Phil

Good points all, Phil - the Punch 2 is recommended for the a sealed enclosure the size of the KLH box. I used DynaMat Extreme all throughout the rear quarter - behind the rear speakers - to reduce road noise when I installed 6.5" rear speakers in the back and had to remove the plate that was there. Also used it in the spare tire well to line a pocket where my amp is.

I have plenty of DynaMat Ex left from my installation. PM me if you're interested in acquiring a sheet or two or six...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who here has the KLA cubbie subwoofer box?