Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Boot - Replacement

Old 07-17-2006, 09:40 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Boot - Replacement

Ok I checked clark's Garage, but I couldn't find any notes or anything on this process, so if someone has done this, and has some instructions that would be great.

I need to replace the shift boot for an Automatic 944.

Part number near as I can tell from PET is: 944 426 075 00 8KY
Marine Blue Auto Shifter boot. (Have not ordered it yet)

So how do I get the old one off, and how do I get the new one on?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a fairly straightforward fix.

I did a write-up awhile back and you may find it by doing a search.

At any rate, the important thing to remember is to be PATIENT, for best results.

Also, I found it to be slightly easier on the late interior console. The early plastic frame at the base has tabs that tend to crack more easily.

You basically remove this frame by prying it gently. It also helps to remove the ashtray assembly for easier access from below.

With the ring out, you need to pull the inner rubber boot upwards and expose the e-clip that holds the rubber **** to the shift lever. Pry that out and put it in a safe place.

Remove the shift **** assembly and gently tear off the leather boot. The shift pattern cap should pop out, but you may need to help it out by prying at it from underneath the leather so as not to scratch it. Be careful not to crack the plastic prongs that hold it in.

Once you have the bare shift ****, you need to drop it through the opening in the shift boot and slowly pull the boot upwards to cover the **** end. It helps to rub some talcum powder over the exposed shift **** before fitting the new boot. As you pull the leather upwards keep pressing it to adapt it to the shift pattern opening in the ****.

As the new boot adapts to the shift **** shape, keep pressing the edges inwards to eliminate the wrinkles. Add a dab of glue to the inside of the edges to hold them in the opening and trim them as necessary for the cap to fit back in. As soon as it looks satisfactory, take the plunge and pop the shift pattern cap back in.

Reattach the shift **** to the shift lever and be sure to pop the e-clip back in.

At this point you can put some rubber cement between the shift **** shaft and the leather for a more professional finish.

Finally, surround the plastic base ring with the new shift boot and pop it back in.

Last edited by Luis de Prat; 07-17-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Also, be really careful with the shift pattern cap. The tabs on the bottom break off really easy. I did a replacement aftermarket cap from a company in Germany called cup-sport when I did my shift boot. They've got great metal machined caps & they can laser etch anything you want on it. Say you want porsche badge or turbo logo or even your initials instead of the standard shift pattern. I opted for the shift pattern & love it. I'm at work right now but I can PM you the link tonight if you would like to check it out.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:02 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

Its an Auto so no shift pattern

Has anyone tried the boots from EagleDay? http://www.eagleday.com/shknandbo.html

944 auto **** and boot recover kit.

I guess I need to call the porsche parts dept. and see what the official ones cost though....
Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Sorry, its early & I missed the whole auto part. Plus now that I think of it, it gets really hot in the Iowa sun. I can imagine that if you accidentally grabbed it in the Dubai sun after sitting all day, you could potentially brand a porsche emblem or shift pattern into the palm of your hand.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

944 auto shift ****? I can't say I even remotely remember what those look like! Sorry!

IIRC you may find more info in the 928 forum...
Old 07-17-2006, 04:38 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

on a similar note, anyone have instructions for a 924S/early 944 shift ****? I've been told its straightforward, but would appreciate any insight from those that have done this before. Thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 08:00 PM
moronputz
Advanced

I recently did my manual shift boot using an AGLA one. Fitted great, just a little fiddly to get on (as expected).

AGLA also do recover options for auto so try them - www.aglausa.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift Boot - Replacement