Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 6.5" Component Speakers and 4-channel Amplifier (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:05 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing 6.5" Component Speakers and 4-channel Amplifier (Pics)

Hey, I haven't posted in a while, been busy with a lot of work stuff going on. But, I have been piecing together some stereo stuff for the 951 that I am just now getting around to installing. I'm having a friend of mine do the majority of the work because he used to be a stereo installer at a high end shop in Austin and he does some incredible stuff with his own cars.

I have an a/d/s PQ20 4-channel amplifier going in and a set of 6.5" Polk Audio MOMO MMC6500 Component Speakers. Also, I previously had a set of Boston Acoustic 4x6 plate speakers in the front locations that I am moving to the back. I was thinking about putting larger speakers in the back and probably will do that eventually to provide a bit more low end, but these fit the stock location perfectly so for now they are going in the back. Sound from the rear is not nearly as important as from the front of the car so I'm not worried about them being small little plate speakers for now.

I have a couple photos of the progress so far. We actually cut slightly into the door panel around the original speaker location and also into the door itself. That way we can get the magnet of the larger 6.5" speaker into the door so the pods don't have to be quite as big, sticking out into my legs when I drive! We used two 3/4" MDF spacers, carpetted them and mounted them to the door after making the cuts. We also put carpet behind the area where the original door speakers go and for now it looks weird becuase the carpet is recessed from the vinyl of the door panel, but we're going to put the original speaker grills behind the carpet to push it out and fill the hole. Anyway... for now you can see how it's going.. I painted the Polk grills black because they were bright silver and it just didn't look good in an all black interior. I might even ditch them still and get some plain black grills to go over the speakers.

The amplifier will be horizontally mounted in the rear hatch area, pushed up against back seats. The amp rack will be carpetted to match the hatch area and will actually extend all the way from left to right so it looks like a small shelf in the rear hatch. All you will see of the amp is the top (which is where the gain adjustment is and whatnot). I still have the rear taken apart, but you can sort of see what I mean in the picture.

Just wanted to share. I know a lot of people are looking for options in upgrading the stereo. This has been a good bit of work, but I think it will be worth it. I took a lot of time listening to speakers before buying the Polk's. They had a good amount of midbass and are very clear and can take a lot of power. The PQ20 amp is an amazing amp. One of the quietest (as in noise ratio) you can buy, and a ton of power for a good set of speakers.

I'll update again when I get it finished later today or tomorrow.
Attached Images   

Last edited by danny951; 07-07-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

As promised.. sorry so late, but the speakers and amp are installed and sound great. I am still going to add a subwoofer most likely for some more low end, but these polk momo 6 1/2"s surprise me everytime I listen to them. I could get by without a sub, but I think I'll still add one anyway to make it even better.

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:

Driver Side leg room:

Passenger Side Close Up -- very tight clearance, but fits perfect

Passenger Side Door Open

You can see how we my installer used the stock speaker grill. Basically put carpet over it and screwed it into place to cover the original hole. Alignment was a major PITA I am told because of where the window track is and also the power window motors. He had to remove the plastic around the speaker magnets to make it fit without going with more spacer. He used 2 - 3/4" MDF rings for spacers and carpetted them as you can see in the pictures. He said if you move the speaker a quarter inch in any direction, it wouldn't fit.. very tight clearance.

Anyway, if anyone is in the DF/W area and want to have a listen, let me know. Also, my installer would be willing to do this again on another car if you wanted. Now that he's done it once it would take him much less time to do it.

Last edited by danny951; 12-11-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:52 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

And here is the amp (a/d/s PQ20). Flush mounted with the amp rack and the crossovers and power distribution blocks are also housed in the rack as well.

Last edited by danny951; 12-11-2007 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:19 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Looks good. I'm about to install the same Momo's 6.5's in the rear quarters. How do they sound for mids and highs? I guess you have them working for bass right now with no sub. I'm running a separate amp for the 4 speakers and one for the sub as part of my rear seat delete/package tray project. I've already done all my soundproofing with Nuprene and double foil-faced matting to quiet the car. It's worked excellent so far and I havent even got forward of the B-pillars yet. I might try your method though and install the Momos up front instead. Do you have any pics of the area of cutting you had to do for the doors?
Thanks.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:50 PM
GodSpeed
Nissan Rulez
Rennlist Member

looks very nice. i will be attempting something similar in the near future
Old 08-17-2006, 05:35 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Looks good. I'm about to install the same Momo's 6.5's in the rear quarters. How do they sound for mids and highs? I guess you have them working for bass right now with no sub. I'm running a separate amp for the 4 speakers and one for the sub as part of my rear seat delete/package tray project. I've already done all my soundproofing with Nuprene and double foil-faced matting to quiet the car. It's worked excellent so far and I havent even got forward of the B-pillars yet. I might try your method though and install the Momos up front instead. Do you have any pics of the area of cutting you had to do for the doors?
Thanks.
I have the crossover on my head unit for the momo's set at 100hz with a 12 db/octave slope which I think works very well, if running with no sub. If I do add a subwoofer, I'd probably bump it up to 125hz. The highs are piercing. Thankfully the crossovers for the tweeters have a -3db and -6db selector switch. I have mine on -3db, but -6db would probably work for most people. My head unit has a auto-eq thing that basically runs test tones and flattens the sound frequencies in the car... then leaves the 16-band eq set at FLAT so I can adjust from there. Works very well. Overall these speakers have really impressed me. I listened for hours at the local Tweeter and picked these over similarly priced boston's and mb quart systems (keep in mind I had midbass in mind also when selecting these speakers. I think the Boston's sounded equally as good, but had less low end than the Momo's. You might like them. I think they were in the $349 price range.

Sorry I don't have any pics of the cut in the doors. My friend Chuck did the installation and I didn't get a chance to take some pics of it before he put it all back together.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

nice...looks great
Old 08-17-2006, 02:26 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

thank you for the compliments

Quick Reply: Installing 6.5" Component Speakers and 4-channel Amplifier (Pics)