Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seat delete begun-not the usual method

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:18 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Rear seat delete/package tray almost finished- a few pics

Well I started stripping everything for the project yesterday and have all my dimensions down. Many people have done this with just removal of the hinged upper section, seat bottom, and adding carpet. My project will use the stripped upper section with a carpeted front to attach my amps. The old seat area will have a built up front like the 968 Cab w/ rear seat delete with carpeted bottom. I really want secure storage for my cameras and such and with the upper section down no one can see the amps. I have several panels of anodized aluminum with large 3/4" cooling holes to insert in the vertical section from the floor up to keep the amps cool if the rear section is folded down. I plan to do a photo history if I find time.. The sub goes into the RR cubby with mid bass speakers replacing the rear 4"x6" speakers. I think this is going to be a pretty enjoyable project so far but we all know how that goes. Just thought I would share because I cut my leg badly about an hour ago and have to call it quits, but my fingers still work

BTW: Xylene will remove any adhesive Porsche used and dissolve foam rubber that sticks to metal or wood.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 07-25-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics? Are you documenting the install?
Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andial951
Well I haven't yet unless someone is interested in seeing me melt foam stuck to wood and metal. I was going to start taking pics when it got more enjoyable and looked like progress is being made. I'm glad I had some Xylene left over from my last homebrew fuel; it works great on that crap that doesn't want to come off. I doubt if you ever looked into the black hole of my back seat but the lower section has serious water damage from the PO and a bad sunroof seal. It looked like a piece of jerky and was all peeled up. The way I look at it, only Bavarian elves can sit back there anyway so I'm going for broke and making something that suits my needs.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:10 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial951
Everyone should document everything they do. I documented my headlight harness break and repair..although I didn't put it all in one post like I should have. Should be easy for the next guy to find it.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:28 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
The way I look at it, only Bavarian elves can sit back there anyway so I'm going for broke and making something that suits my needs.
Elves make your car go faster! Anger the elves and there will be hell to pay.

Best of luck to you, I'm looking forward to pictures and continued documentation of the fabrication and installation.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

How would something like this work...?
Attached Images   
Old 07-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't like the rear seatbacks stll being there so much, but.... Just thought you'd like to see it- this was a guy named Jeremy's, who used to be on the list- was very original- he had 968 door panels & several other mods in a 944NA.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:35 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robby
How would something like this work...?
I like that but don't think I'll be putting speakers in that spot. I'm still trying to match the carpet from a good source and looking for a good sound deadener for under the seat area.. Looks like the owner on that one did a great job, looks very professional. So far stripping the folding section to bare wood and hardware has been the hardest part. It goes beyond just pulling off foam and leather. The hardware at the catches has to be disconnected to remove the trim rings on the push button releases, what a pain...almost as much fun as a door handle! I also have to extend the depth of the folding section; once the lower seat is removed there's a 4" gap between the rear deck and rear of the folded seat back. I'll keep a photo record of anything that might help others

Last edited by KuHL 951; 07-03-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:41 PM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I like that but don't think I'll be putting speakers in that spot. I'm still trying to match the carpet from a good source and looking for a good sound deadener for under the seat area.. Looks like the owner on that one did a great job, looks very professional. So far stripping the folding section to bare wood and hardware has been the hardest part. It goes beyond just pulling off foam and leather. The hardware at the catches has to be disconnected to remove the trim rings on the push button releases, what a pain...almost as much fun as a door handle! I also have to extend the depth of the folding section; once the lower seat is removed there's a 4" gap between the rear deck and rear of the folded seat back. I'll keep a photo record of anything that might help others

I recently finished this subwoofer box for someone, although it's not finished in this picture. Once installed and carpeted it's the same height as the rear deck. It could just as easily be made to have two locking compartments.

Try www.stockinteriors.com for the carpet. They sell it by the yard and it's a very close match.

Last edited by kwdrus; 07-26-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:02 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwdrus
I recently finished this subwoofer box for someone, although it's not finished in this picture. Once installed and carpeted it's the same height as the rear deck. It could just as easily be made to have two locking compartments.

Try www.stockinteriors.com for the carpet. They sell it by the yard and it's a very close match.

Did you forget the picture? Thanks for the carpet link I'll check it out later.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

When you ordered the carpet by the yard, what cut did you get..cut loop, tuxedo loop? How well did it match
Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 PM
kwdrus
Racer

I didn't order the carpet, but i did get a sample of the black cut pile. It seemed a slight bit longer than what was in my car, but then again that carpet it 20 y/o. I don't think it's anything you'd notice unless you were inches away from it. The box is going into a car with a linen interior so he is going to get a sample to match it and then carpet it himself.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Thinking of dpoing the delete. Not sure , as the bottom section is supposed to be very hard to remove.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
Thanks. Thinking of dpoing the delete. Not sure , as the bottom section is supposed to be very hard to remove.

The bottom section comes off really easy, took me about 5 minutes. Stripping the top back section is another story though.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:21 PM
kwdrus
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr.Porsche
The bottom is easy. Just a couple of clips along the top and removing the seat belts. Like Kuhl said, 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: Rear seat delete begun-not the usual method