Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: Rennbay Headlight (Re)wiring Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:53 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Rennbay Headlight (Re)wiring Kit

Rennbay.com will be selling a headlight re-wiring kit in a few days. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one for a pre-sale review. One engine fire is enough for me, so when I read that the headlights draw their power through the switch in the cabin, and several switches have melted, ruined other portions of the electrical system in these cars, or even started fires, I jumped at the chance to put this in...

The harness arrived on Wednesday. I was pleasantly surprised with sealed packaging.

Here she is out of the bag.

The connections and layout are pretty straight forward...

Close up of the female 3 prong headlight connection.

Getting started: I pulled the airbox, and connected the positive lead to the large terminal on the back of the alternator. I'm told this provides a better power supply than going to the battery. Also, you don't have to run a wire... all the way to the battery. Very nice.

The positive lead was connected first, to allow proper locating of the relays.

I predrilled one relay hole in the fender well, screwed it in, lined the other relay up next to it, drilled the second hole, and screwed it in as well. The harness comes with 2 self tapping screws with metal/rubber base washers to mount the relays. Nice touch. Also, note the location of the ground point below the relays in the image.

Close up of my ground connection. The silvery looking bracket is part of my GT Racing headlight bucket.

Looking towards the front of the car, you can see the ground screw, and the other circle locates a hole for the stock headlight wire routing. The wires go through a secret tunnel somewhere, I think Travis said it leads to Narnia. If you choose to route your harness through this location, you'll have to take alot of stuff appart. I wussed out and ran my wires through the compartment under the nose panel.

Shortly before I gave up on the stock route, I took a pic of the wiring coming out of the previously mentioned hole. This is under the driver side fog light.

Here's a close up of the installed relays.

Finished driver side. Hardly noticable!

Passenger side routing, pre-connected photo...

And here is the pigtail I made. I found almost the exact same braided cable cover at the local electronics store, so my part matches! The downside, and the reason these kits aren't easy to make: the 3 prong connectors are terribly hard to find, since they are out of production and only old stock is availible. But it's not the end of the world, since spade connectors work just fine without the plastic housing

And that's it! If you have stock wiring and connectors still in your car (most of you probably do), this kit is plug and play. Remove the airbox, drill two holes, and plug it all in!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:01 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Any difference in light output?? Can you take a night time before and after pic with the lights on??
Old 02-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any approximate guess on pricing?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys,

I wanted to wait until I had the E-code housings, bulbs and voltage regulators here to release these but I guess I will go ahead and put the harnesses up this weekend. They won't be put together in a "Kit" per say, but you will be able to pick and choose lighting options to build your own setup later this month.

We have spent a lot of time and taken extreme care in building these harnesses. A HUGE thanks goes out to Bill (Mr.Avionics) for staying up more than a few late nights, soldering iron in hand, helping make these happen.

All wiring is marine grade.

All connections are soldered and heat shrinked.

Extra slack is given to the far headlight to accommodate any wire routing scheme.

Connectors are all high temp rated.

And.. best of all, it's plug and play.

I am going to run a sale on the harnesses starting today and running until Monday sometime. The sale price, to ONLY RENNLIST MEMBERS, will be $89.00. If you want to get a complete setup you should go ahead and purchase your harness now as they will not be at this price again. We will have the other accessories (E-code housings, bulbs, regulators) on the site in a few more weeks.

I will start working out the details of the sale and I should have the category up on Rennbay later today. I will start a new post announcing them in a little while.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks awsome, glad to see things are still being made available for the 944 aftermarket. Do you have any plans to do battery cables also?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Lets see how this goes before I get into doing the battery cables. It takes a lot of time to build something like this right. The IceShark headlight harnesses were selling for $175 if I remember correctly. Without an excellent pre-production setup, the headlight kits would take well over an hour for each one to be built. A little extra thought before building something like this means reduced production time and a reduced retail price.
If the same can be done effectively with the battery cables then... its something that I might look into.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Hey Travis,

How much for a set of E-codes and the relay harness? I'm ready to buy!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

The E-codes are not here yet and I am still working out pricing on those. If you want a full setup I would go ahead and get the harness this weekend when it gets posted up. It will cost you a little extra to ship two orders but with the sale price on harnesses this weekend, you will still be WAY ahead of the game.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:04 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Just ordered a harness...
Old 02-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Man.. you guys are quick. I was still tweaking the page and didn't even realize it was live when Josh's order came in...
Old 02-25-2006, 04:22 PM
MR951
Racer

Just placed my order too along w/ some injector seals.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Bow chicka bow wow!!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:47 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ordred, wish i had the money to get the brake kit.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:51 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast924S
Any difference in light output?? Can you take a night time before and after pic with the lights on??
I didn't expect to see a difference, but it's there. Keep in mind I have non-stock lighting - 60w Silverstar ultrawhites (don't know the exact category, but they're a "white" K temp). I imagine you would see even more of a marked difference running stock lights. The headlight on the left is running Travis' kit, and the light on the right is still running the stock wiring. Travis' setup is just a hair brighter with my setup. YMMV.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:34 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

I know these kits aren't into the hands of many owners yet, but it would be great to see some before and after night time pics on a car with otherwise stock lighting...

BTW, good job on the kit, it looks quite nice

Quick Reply: Review: Rennbay Headlight (Re)wiring Kit