Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Satan Bolt" - Place Your Nominations. . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't read the whole thread...

Just a couple notes. Not even close, guys. The biggest PITA bolt is without a doubt the one that attaches the clutch hose bracket to it's othe half on the bell housing on a 944T. You can tell this even if you have never done one because 90% of the cars I work on, this bolt is MISSING! Nobody bothers to put it back because it's such a PITA. Unfortunately, your clutch hose then usually rubs something and blows.

Ask me how I know about this? This fiddly little 5mm bolt makes me a lot of money!

The Lowest Turbo bolt, the one that attaches the turbo housing extension to the lower part of the block, runs a close 2nd! The crank sensor bracket socket head cap screws are a real bitch too.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:32 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I nominate the turbocharger to engine block mounting bolt. I've spent an entire day and tried every wrench; sockets 3/8 and 1/4 drive, combination wrenches and offset box end wrenches and I simply cannot get access to the damn thing. ONE BOLT that keeps me from removing my turbo.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

My nomination for this is the cam box bolt (inside the box) that has the allen center strip out..to solve this one, I took an IRWIN short "Grabber" socket and turned the O.D down to the point where I could get it through the top hole, and voila' it came right out..spent three days on this one plus machine shop time..can't wait until so0me of these other "beauties" grabs me by the azz.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 AM
shakazulu720
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the near future I'm looking forward to the bell housing, flywheel, and lower header bolts for a clutch job but as of right now I need to reccomend a completely stripped and frozen in starter bolt, the one facing the trans completely rounded so you can't drill it, get a pipe wrench on it or use a bolt puller. ( ended up slotting it and using a 90° flathead with a 3 foot cheater bar and a metric crap ton of liquid wrench)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Default "Satan Bolt" - Place Your Nominations. . .

The worst bolts I've removed so far are the two 10mm bolts that hold the AC lines behind the engine to the evaporator and expansion valve. They wouldn't have been so bad if I had removed the cam tower. but **** doing all that just to remove 2 small bolts. It took me at least an hour to remove them and 2 hours to get them back in.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunkerz
The worst bolts I've removed so far are the two 10mm bolts that hold the AC lines behind the engine to the evaporator and expansion valve. They wouldn't have been so bad if I had removed the cam tower. but **** doing all that just to remove 2 small bolts. It took me at least an hour to remove them and 2 hours to get them back in.
I've had to remove the intake manifold, Turbocharger, Power steering rack and a number of heat shields, all to replace to stupid "O" rings in the AOS. On my previous car, the entire drive train had to come out, just to replace a $10 Rear Main Crankshaft Seal.

It is why we adopted the WYIT (while you're in there) so you do everything you can reach when you've exposed them by removing something else.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:09 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

LMAO and no one outside of this community will ever understand.

Waiting for Satanic reference sensor removal survey thread next.

Quick Reply: "Satan Bolt" - Place Your Nominations. . .