Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old are we? Why do we own our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 12:05 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad hates porsches as well...as does most of my family..they are the "lets buy something for 1500 and drive it until it breaks" type crowd.

Car: 1986 944 Turbo

Why: The first car name I ever said was porsche. In fact, it was like..my third word. My family was never well off. Always getting used junk with rust everywhere. Never getting anything nice. When I was 19, I got a job and started looking for a car. I wanted something quick and sporty. I never even dreamed of looking at Porsches, namely because I figured they would be way out of my price range. Then, I found a burgandy 944 turbo for sale and fell in love instantly. I couldn't afford it, even at 5500 dollars. I started looking around for N/A's (S and s2's are hard to find around here) and found two that were close but still slightly above my price range at around 3500 dollars. Then, I finally got the dealer talked down on the 944 Turbo I had seen five months before hand. While I couldn't afford 3500 cash, I could get it financed. A lot of people said it was a mistake, financing such an old car. However, it proved to be one of the best things to ever happen to me. I got the loan paid off, then had to refinance it when I lost my job and couldn't get the car running again. Once I got it running, the car got totalled. Had I been in a civic or something, I would have been killed. Insurance paid me off, I paid off the loan again, and was able to get my credit score way up. Which has no lead me to get a job (they check your credit to be a car dealer), have enough equity built up to get a nice house, and a nice daily driver (once I make some more money, almost there...)

SInce the accident, I got enough money to buy the turbo I have now from a fellow rennlister, and have loved every minute of ownership since.

Different: Nothing.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zporsche944
I’m I the only one who has a Dad who hates Porsche and would never think of buying one? lol
My Dad hated them as well....Until I built him his 951. Now I can't shut the guy up when it comes to his latest "kill" story. BTW, I'm a old 31. Thank god he lives on the other side of the country...
Old 09-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Steelfitter1
6th Gear

Hmm. I always liked cars, been turning wrenches on them since I was about 12. I'm still a nice young 31 now though. I've personally always been a old school muscle kind of guy, but you just have to love a well built automobile, no matter WHO makes it or where. And Porsche does make a dang fine auto. I picked up the 83 944 NA I have now last Sept. for...get this...FREE!! It was wrecked, the owner said the water pump was bad, the battery was bad, and it had been sitting for at least a year. So I threw it on a rollback and hauled it outta his way. Had it running that night...and there was nothing at all wrong with the engine other than the battery. Still fixing the front end, and the seats need recovered, and now the "reference sensor" has gone bad...I think...but I love the way the car drives.
What I would do different? Nothing really. Except tell the wife when I brought it home that I was going to fix it and keep it. Told her I would resell it when repaired, kind of an investment. Now she is nagging me constantly to "Get some of these &%$&^% cars out of my yard!!" So the Porsche has gotta go ASAP, and the 84 Trans Am is leaving this weekend. 2 down...she's gonna have a cow when I get my 56 Packard back out of storage and bring it home next spring anyway. Oh well...maybe I'll find a nice turbo to buy as a daily driver next summer. That would be too much fun.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:32 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

wow, this thread is huge and the stories are great.

I'm 24, and I was brought up apreciating the artistry of fine mechanics, but as for porsche specifics it started pre-natally. If I had a scanner I'd post a pic of my mom about 8.5 months preggo with me standing in front of my Dad's 356, and the pic of me with no teeth standing on the drivers seat clenching the steering wheel (barefoot of course). Fast forward many years and I'm driving a 96 Mustang for a comuter/auto-Xer, and I want something a bit more desireable. I've always had a hardon for the 944's flared fenders, so the hunt began. I started researching the cars and found what I still think is the best one made, the looks of the turbo, with some torque and without alot of headaches, the S2. I happened across one day and it was the right deal. I did the timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, rollers, cam chain and chain tensioner.

If I were to do anything differant. . . I'm not sure. I think I'd do the vacuum lines, and have still yet to do the grounding kit, but it seems like something I 'should' do. I still need to start going through the bushings and replace an exhaust hanger.

I bought the car as a weekend car, but its so much of a joy to drive that its my daily driver and the Mustang is up for sale.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:36 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Cool for you! I have to say that whoever came up with this thread idea really did us a great favor. I never thought that I'd learn as much as I am about my fellow rennlisters (perhaps almost too much information, but that's OK, it's all in the family so to speak).

Great!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:53 AM
Grandpa
6th Gear

At 61 I guess I am the oldest in this thread.
I just got my 87, 924s, my first porshe. Title not yet transfered.
I just couldn't resist the challange of maintaining one, and now with the internet to help me link with all of you great guys what could be better?
Grandpa Pansfeldwn
Old 09-30-2005, 02:57 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll be 34 on Sunday.
I own my car because I want to.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:12 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Grandpa,

Try to avoid the following:

- Turbocharging your 924S is BAD!! Don't bother asking.
- Nitrous is a NO.. NO..
- Asking why search sucks! There are so many posts that keywords don't help so much. Some are working on that. OT: Tech: etc.
- NEVER try to sell your car or parts unless you are a paid member.
- Post where you are at and you will likely have others to help.
- Ted is your friend

Most importantly, we all need to make it to 944 Fest '06. Under that 924S skin is a 944. Take caution when posting

Michael

Last edited by michaelathome; 09-30-2005 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:13 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm 40- but since I got the 951 last year, I feel like I am 21 again. I own a turbo now because I was feeling something was lacking in my enjoyment of driving. The 951 is a world apart from the normally-aspirated 944 in every aspect. I drive my therapy on a daily basis these days...

Zach

Last edited by Dilberto; 09-30-2005 at 04:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-30-2005, 06:00 AM
joonas
Racer

Why: I want to drive the car that you cant see every day. I wanted to get the car I can take to the track. When I was like 12 or something I found a book about 959. Lost the book remembered the car. It is my first car. When I was thinking of getting my first car I called to my friends relative who is porsche club member and asked if he has something to offer. Next day he made an offer and I said yes. He brought the car from abroad. I decided to buy over the picture

If I could start over I would buy a nice S2 or Turbo instead of my 88 944S. Would like to have more power. The car would be cheaper to maintain when it was with old offset and steel control arms and 8 valve engine.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Why: Always liked driving cars with tight suspensions. Became enthralled with german cars in mid-96 when I bought one of the first 96 BMW 5 series (there were no 95s produced). The car was an absolute dream to drive and not to knock the japanese cars, there is a difference in german engineering that I prefer. I've gone well over 100,000 miles on virtually every car I've owned (except the ill-advised 93 Eagle Vision - what a mistake!) In 2003, my son, Andrew (Tenacious G), expressed interest in restoring a car for his senior project, which was the answer to my prayers because it was something we could enjoy together. We had a great relationship, but shared few interests. We actually started looking for a Delorean but found that DMC owners tended to believe that their cars were worth 20-25k even if neglected and abused. So we turned to the economical 914. We restored it and loved every minute (it's for sale now so we can buy another 944). Now we were hooked on Porsche and I set a lifetime goal to buy a new 911 some day. But that didn't feel right - I'm not sure I could sink that kind of money in a car, no disrespect to any 911 owner, it's just me talking. But the 944, there was a car that looked great and performed beyond its price tag! So in June of this year, I found a beautiful low mileage black/linen 89 S2 in PA. The Rennlist community was very supportive with information (great resources here) and opinions (hard to believe, I know ) and I brought her home to OH. I am intimidated by the thought of wrenching, but have done a few things and will be doing more.

Regrets: I wish I would've gotten here sooner and with a bigger garage!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Oops - 97 5 series - no 96s produced!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Bought it for my 35 Birthday as a 'pat-on-the-back' for working so hard. Down here, all pcars are expensive it its a pretty mean feat own a Porsche before 35

First saw a 944 as a teenager and loved it to bits.... I distinctly remember seeing an S2 or Tubro (new nose shape) and remember the utter feeling of 'That's my future car'. I always imaged me owing a 928S4 and my wife owning a 944S2/turbo shape. Work, studies and marriage made me forget about my childhood dreams until about two years ago when I woke up one morning and thought.. 'Its my birthday soon.... I think a 944 would be a good idea....'.
I read almost every post here and a few other forums in four days and learnt more about the cars that I could ever imagine. I learnt about the S2 too. and on the fifth day I bought mine with a full history. I've always only owned germans cars, VW & Audi and loved the way they handle. I knew I would love the 944, so much so that I only drove it around the block, parked it and signed the papers. I'd never driven a porsche before, but it felt right. it was meant to be...

I drive it everyday and will not have it any other way.... Each day I get more consumed by it...and can't wait to get back in and go driving....

If I where to do it again.... I'd offer to wash the car.. its amazing what you see from close up... I was just lucky I got 9/10 car, but it could have gone the other way too. Buying with emotions can be a dangerous thing.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:35 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grandpa,Got you beat!!!!Will be 63 this year,Please join our group,post a location,then we can dog you to come to the next" FEST".Good time listening to the "kids"talk about their cars,g'friends,wives,babies,and jobs they have or want.,They even let me cruise with them at speeds that most cars don't have on the speedo anymore !!!! FRED
Old 09-30-2005, 01:05 PM
9five1
Pro

1) Age: I'm 25, and trying to get all the cars I want before I wind up married :-)

2) Why: I remember helping my dad work on his old TR6 when I was a younger and more reckless, I got into street racing, and modded my VW GTI VR6 pretty heavily. Realizing that I needed a legitimate car hobby, I picked up my first P-car, a 1975 914 2.0, then a 1978 911sc, and now a 1986 951.

3) What would you do different if you could "go back" ?: Nothing really, I have had a great time and learned a lot about my cars, and how to work on them. I think the best pieces of advice I can give are: 1) Read everything you can get your hands on, 2) Don't be afraid to dive head first into a project, 3) Never underestimate the power of rennlist.

I hope this helps! Welcome to the club!

~Eric

Quick Reply: How old are we? Why do we own our cars?