Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 v. Miata (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 944 v. Miata (long)

Owning two sports cars, people often ask me how they compare. Well, not that often, but hey, it’s a slow Saturday night, so I figure I’ll go ahead and do a comparison anyway. I’ve mentioned to some that I plan on doing it, so I guess it’s legit. The information should be interesting. And, if nothing else, it’s always good for the ol’ post count…

Before I start this, I would like to point a couple of things out. First of all, this is purely my opinion, and not to be taken as some sort of fact. I firmly believe that choosing a car is like choosing a wife: what works for me might not work for you. I fully expect that some members of Rennlist will question my 944 criticisms, which is fine… because I also know that some members of Miata.net will also likely question my Miata criticisms. This is life. Second, I do have some biases, but will make every effort to be as unbiased as I can. Lastly, and this is probably the most critical, is that I have not driven either car in a true, track-oriented event (autocross, DE, whatever), so there are certain performance aspects I can’t comment on. This is a shame, as both cars are designed from the ground up to be on the track. I admit that this will cause some limitations to my comparison, and accept that. I will fill in the gaps from what I’ve read if I feel comfortable with that (and will make it clear when I’m doing that).

The cars

1987 Porsche 944
Mods: Autothority chip; Weltmeister front stressbar; Weltmeister 22mm adjustable rear swaybar; K&N air filter; throttle response cam; 205/55ZR-16 (f) and 225/5-ZR-16 rear tires on Boxster wheels; 951 rear valance.

1990 Mazda Miata
Mods: Jackson Racing CAI; Leistritz exhaust; front stressbar; front and rear frame braces; Harddog M2 Sport rollbar; 195/55ZR-14 tires; OEM front airdam.

First Impressions

Getting into both cars is kind of tricky if you’re not prepared for it. Let’s face it, they are both low to the ground, and you really work out your quadriceps getting in there. But once in, both cars treat you with a glove-like fit. I find it easy to get the proper driving position with both of them. Gauges and controls are nicely laid out. Shutting the door in the Miata is rather tinny, whereas the 944 rewards you with a solid “thunk”. (more on that later) I’d say it would be nice if the Miata had a clock inside, but the typical digital 944 clock doesn’t work anyway, so the point is kind of moot. But I do wish the Miata had an oil pressure idiot light in addition to the gauge. The 944’s visibility is great, and the Miata’s is even better, provided the top is down. If the top is up, it’s got some pretty big blind spots, but nothing that I can’t get used to. Egressing the 944 always results in a konked noggin the first time, because the door frame seems to be right where your head wants to be. I haven’t had that problem in the Miata, but I can’t say if it’s because I got used to it with the 944, or if the car just doesn’t have the problem. But even if it did, the Miata’s roof is much softer, resulting in less bruises.

Advantage: None

Acceleration

The 116 hp 1.6L engine in the Miata is delightfully peaky, and just begs to be rev’d! Coupled with its close-ratio five-speed manual transmission and featherweight chassis, the car will take off once the steam is built up. If I may borrow from the E30 BMW M3 drivers, this car is a true, torqueless wonder! Conversely, the 944 isn’t as rev-happy as the Miata, but it’s 2.5L, 158 hp (in stock form, I’m not sure what the mods give it) delivers far more low-end grunt. This more versatile power band makes it easier to drive the car around both around town and when feeling frisky. Plus, the 944’s taller gearing is a benefit when on the highway. At 80 mph, the Miata is already turning over 4k rpm and getting kind of noisy. Fifth gear will redline at 115-120 mph. At this point, the 944 is still in fourth gear, waiting for that final upshift. Plus, let’s face it, those longer legs make for much more relaxed cruising on the highway.

Advantage: 944

Handling

Ah, yes… the bread and butter of both of these cars. This is why they exist… and is also why it is a shame that I can’t properly compare them. They both share a 50:50 weight distribution which makes for very benign handilng. When driving the Miata, the most apparent thing is its lack of weight. And at a hair over 2,100 pounds, it is a true lightweight. This is something I have always loved, and part of what drew me to this car in the first place. It’s lack of mass inspires tossing it back and forth in those tight twists with reckless abandon. You don’t feel like you can lose control of the car, because if it does something squirrelly, the tires can easily take control of the mass when you recover. The 944, on the other hand, is a good 600 or so pounds heavier, and you definitely feel it. But compared to the Miata, it also feels like it is carved out of a solid billet of steel. There is no chassis flex, no rattling, no resonance over imperfections in the road. Even though the rollbar helped that in the Miata, it is still a comparitive flexi-flyer. Unfortunately, I find the extra size and mass of the Porsche enough to make me hold back a bit on those tight turns…

…and then the speeds increase…

At highway speeds (above 70 mph) the Miata begins to feel… light. This isn’t to say that it’s a bad handler or anything, but even my old slightly mod’d Jetta felt a little more stable on those 80+ mph runs. The airdam helped a bit, but not enough. Compared to the Miata, the 944 seems to simply hunker down and ask for more. Crosswinds? No problem. Road imperfections? Ignored. Chassis flex? Non-existant. At this point, the 944’s larger footprint and the strong grip from the tires makes this car at home at these speeds, making me more willing to hit triple-digit sweepers in the Porsche than the Miata.

Advantage: None. The Miata feels better at low speeds, but the 944 is better at high speeds. So, it depends on where you are driving. Plus, well, I need some track experience to properly answer this one!

Braking

Again, this is hard to assess without track work. Both cars stop straight and true. The Miata feels like it stops shorter, but I’m also fairly convinced that a lot of this has to do with it’s lighter weight affecting the butt-dyno. So, I’m going to have to make a judgement call. I’ve read a few threads on Miata.net about the Miata’s brakes being a little under-par, and Porsche is always known for over-engineering it’s brakes (save for the 4-lug 931. But let’s just ignore that…). And hey, the early 944 uses the same brakes as the 210 hp (?) 924 Carrera GT without any problems. So, based what I’ve read and not my experience…

Advantage: 944

Fun Factor

Since both of these cars are sports cars, they are both fun, right? So, which one is better? This is a tough call… and also a very controversial one, I’m sure. But in the end, as much as I love the Porsche, the Miata has a nifty top that can be lowered (as big as the 944’s sunroof is, it’s not the same). Yes, it’s not as fun with the top up (pesky blind spots and all), which would, under normal conditions, tie things up a bit (it’s not always top-down weather here in the Old Dominion). However, in terms of fun per dollar, the answer is clear to me…

Advantage: Miata

Reliability

Ah, such an annoying thing to have to look at with our toys. And also a difficult one to answer since I’ve only had my Miata for six months (I’ll have to draw from the ’92 my father had for four years). The 944 has proven to be a fairly solid car, far more so than the expensive, fragile cars I hear people often call them. Yes, the parts can get pricey, but if it’s a solid, cared-for example, it’ll last you a bit. I’ve found that my 944 runs about $800/year in maintenance and repairs, which isn’t all that bad when you consider that it’s almost two decades old. But still, the Miata has been much more reliable and, provided you ignore that pesky crankshaft failure (Oops! But I’ll ignore it since it’s been replaced with a later engine that no longer has that problem), the only repair I’ve had to do on the car was to replace one wheel bearing.

Better Daily Driver

Daily driver? Sports car? Sure, why not. I find that when all is said and done, the Porsche is far easier to live with the Miata on a daily basis. It’s roomier, can haul more, more comfortable and easier to drive with it’s better powerband. It’s less noisy, has better visibility and even has back seats that you could stick someone who’s friendship isn’t that important in to! In fact, from a practical standpoint, the 944 is clearly better than the Miata in every arena… except one… It ultimately costs more to own/operate that the Miata. There is a reason the 944 is my toy and the Miata is my daily driver.

What Others Think

Ok, you’d think this was pretty clear cut. The 944 is, after all, a Porsche. That should make people drool over it, right? Well, that’s true to an extent. People seem to be drawn to its bright, crimson paint. And once they realize it’s a Porsche, I get plenty of compliments. But there’s a funny thing I’ve noticed… the women seem more drawn to the Miata than the 944! It must be the fact that it’s a convertible or something, I don’t know. But I’ve had more women ask for rides in the Miata than the 944, at least up to the point where they actually realize that it’s a Porsche. At that point, about half of them are back drooling over the 944. Maybe it would help if they realized it’s a Porsche, but they don’t. In the end, does it matter?

Advantage: Who cares? I bought these cars for me, not for anyone else!

The Winner

Which car do I think is better? Tough call, and ultimately depends on what you are looking for. I think the Porsche is better for driving cross-country, going on dates or probably the track. But the Miata is easier to park, feed, allows for top-down cruising (with the soft-top disadvantages as well) and would probably make the better autocrosser. So, I can’t say which is better. They each fill their roll wonderfully. In fact, I’m glad to have both to choose from. If you want a better answer for this question, I suggest you buy one of each and driver them for a year (or five) and make your decision then.

BB.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post, finally a comparison that is all in one place, all things considered!
Old 04-17-2005, 12:14 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder how some of your comparisons would change if you were driving an S2 cabriolet rather than your 87 944....

either way, nice post.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:16 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Good question. When I first typed my response, I didn't see the "cabriolet" part. So, I don't have much else to add on this one, since it'd be pretty much speculation.

BB.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Kokopelli
Instructor

which one would you like to be in if you had an accident?
Old 04-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Great to see some appreciation for the worlds most underrated sports car!!!
Even after driving the S2 for a while now i still miss the crisp Miata Feel of my 92 SE.
You basicly summed up all my feeling about Miatas and 944's. One thing i love about S2 is high speed handling and this thing just ROCKETS out of the corners. I seriously had to convert my Miata to flinstone mobile to gain extra torque coming out of the twistys
Drove my miata through winter and enjoyed every second with blizzaks The heater in the car is also very good. My next daily driver is definately another Miata.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:43 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I have el-cheapo Semperit snow tires, and those things do very well in the snow... I had a huge grin passing that H2 in the snow...

Originally Posted by Kokopelli
which one would you like to be in if you had an accident?
Depends on the kind of accident...

BB.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:57 AM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Yeah, I have el-cheapo Semperit snow tires, and those things do very well in the snow... I had a huge grin passing that H2 in the snow...

Depends on the kind of accident...

BB.
Hey don't get me wrong I like MX5. They are loads of them in New Zealand, and dirt cheap at that. A friend of mine has just bought an automatic and has converted it to manual for next to nothing.

I ride motorcycles, so the accident question is not a real issue. I guess the reason I haven't got one is that there are too many of them and they are not quite as practical as my 944. I do know that they are a lot cheaper to keep on the road. A lot!
Old 04-17-2005, 01:05 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Oh, I hear ya. I just asked because, well, of the seven times I've been hit, they've all been fender-benders, and I'd rather the Miata get dinged. That's part of why it's my daily driver. But yeah, I'd trust the Porsche to save by buttocks in the event of getting clocked big time.

BB.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:21 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for the great comparison. I had a 95 Miata for years that was just about perfect with the few mods I had done. I loved that car for it's tossability and ease on the wallet. I had the 83 N/A and the Miata together for about 5 months and drove them both hard. The Miata was hands down the best performer on tight circuits; the 944 was the better car for more open roads and the highways. I was about to pull the trigger on the Flying Miata FM2 setup and decided to get the 951 instead. Those two cars do not compare at all. Passing at higher speeds in the MX-5 was iffy if you needed a quick move; the 951 is rediculously fast from cruising speed and I was hooked. When I hear people bag on Miatas I know they have never owned one.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 04-17-2005 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:48 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

One of my favorite Japanese cars is the Miata . It seems to stand apart from the copycat designs of the past and shrugs off the performance envy suffered by cars like the Supra. Instead the Miata pays homage to a category, Roadster,
and was cutting edge, beating even BMW to that niche.

Until last summer I had never driven one, so I decided to take one for a test drive just for fun. After driving and owning high end European cars I wasn't exactly whistling dixie, and even though it was a bit anemic, I can absolutely understand why the car sells like hot cakes. In my latest Road and Track they do a short take on the new Miata due for sale in the latter part of 2005. The new one, the MX-5, looks better yet with a lot of hand downs from the RX-8 on interior parts and minor styling cues.

________

Pat
86 944
Old 04-17-2005, 02:45 AM
danb4
Intermediate

I've been kicking around picking up a miata to drive while I do some overdue projects on my 944 cab. Thanks for the comparison. If the miata had back seats (I guess they'd have to pop up from the trunk...lol) I'd probably take a Miata over my cab. Why? Mainly because I'm cheap....and I love really small, lightweight cars. My 944 cab almost seems too big. I definitely hold miatas in high regard...great little cars...and dirt cheap too.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:05 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

I love my S2 and wounldn't trade it for anything however having said that, let me say this when I start looking for a daily driver so that I can truw my S2 into a weekend/track/autox car, I am consdiring a Miata(Among other cars as well) to pick up, becasue it has great handling looks and is cheap to mantain, plus if it gets dig I wont be as upset, I really get nervous when I see other old beaters park beside teh S2 because getting a dig or into a wreak in the s2 would really suck for me, as I have wanted one of these cars since I was 0 or 12 years old. So i conclusion having driven both cars on the street and at the track I would take the miata as a daily driver and the S2 as my toy and high speed cruiser!

Brandon
Old 04-17-2005, 10:47 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

BB- I think that was a GREAT write-up on the comparisons! I don't own a Miata but have driven several of them, and entirely agree with your summation.

I must say that I feel our '87 944’s are more Grand Touring than sports car. What do you think? They are very comfortable with long legs and don’t have the “tossibility” of a Miata or older GTI. Not saying that's bad, but perhaps this is a bit apples and oranges?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
DVC
'87 944- LSD, chipped, Recaro SRD, lowered, 18" RUF
'04 SVT Lightning 402 rwhp/ 510 rwtq (951 killer)
Old 04-17-2005, 11:00 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I don't necessarily think our cars are GTs versus sports cars, but enough people say that to where I won't discount that thought, either. Different opinions and all. I do find that after driving the Miata for a month, hopping in the 944 almost makes it feel like a boat! Of course, just about any car would at that point...

I do, however, feel that one way or the other, the Miata is definately more of a true sports car.

I am suprised at just how different these two cars are, for what is essentially (on paper, anyway), the same niche. Once you get down to it, it really is an apples/oranges thing.

I'm just glad that I don't have to decide between the two...

BB.

Quick Reply: 944 v. Miata (long)