Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning oil under heavy acceleration...air oil seperator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Burning oil under heavy acceleration...air oil seperator?

I noticed the last few months that i need to fill up about 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart of oil every 500-1000 miles depending on how rough i am on the car. The last two days i went on fairly spirited rides and finally noticed a fair amount of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. I believe its mainly because i usually do not rev it up higher than 5000rpms often, but this weekend i did it a few times in 1st gear. I have only noticed the problem under heavy throttle. I know this is likely related to other problems such as worn valve guides...etc. But after searching i see that its possible i have a vacuum leak on the oil fil tube / air + oil seperator.

I recently changed the vacuum lines and added a vacuum gauge, i get a pretty solid 18 in/hg at idle. Is it possible i still have a vacuum leak which is sucking oil mist into the intake? I do not have any signs of oil in the airbox. I did however notice that the oil pan was wet with oil on drivers side, looked to have a small leak from somewhere around there. The oil does not leak enough that i see a collection or spots on my driveway where i usually park however.

Well im wondering, what exactly is involved with replacing the two o-rings that seem to go bad on the filler neck? I did a fair amount of reading on old threads, but all i could find are fairly vauge answers. Where exactly are these o-rings, on the oil filler neck or the air/oil seperator (or are these two things the same...?).

I automatically assume no, but i figure its worth asking. Would running a different weight oil prevent this problem?

Some background info, my car has 70k miles currently and i am running dino 10W-40 oil.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

I guess i should bring a case of oil with me when i attend my first autocross at the end of the month .
Old 04-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the intake J boot and look at the throttle plate. If you see oil, then chances are the oil filler/mist separator O-Rings are shot.

Replacing the O-rings isn't that difficult, but you have to remove the intake, so you will need new intake gaskets as well.

Other sources are worn valve guides, worn valve stem seals, and worn rings.

Quick Reply: Burning oil under heavy acceleration...air oil seperator?