Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944s speedometer not working

Old 02-09-2005, 09:45 AM
bigal13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944s speedometer not working

hi

my 944s speedometer is not working, if i tap the speedometer it starts to work but when i stop at a junction then start to move again it stop's working, again if i tap the speedometer it Will start to work

i think the speedometer in the 944s is worked electronically ( no cable) so how do i fix it??

is there something that needs replacing or is it easer just to replace the speedometer its self, if i have to replace it what other models have the same speedometer and is there any way i can alter the new speedometer mileage reading to the mileage that i have just now (helps to keep the history exact e.g the service record matches the mileage)
Old 02-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is electronic and the problem most likely is in the connections behind the gauge pod. They can wiggle loose and cause the gauge to act as you describe. Simply pull the gauge pod and make sure the connections are secure. If you need help or have questions about pulling the gauge pod just email me and I will walk you through it.

travis@rennbay.com
Old 02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue with my speedometer, but it only happens every once in a while. When it does happen, if i give a very light tap on the top of the dash the speedo jumps right back to correct speed, say from 0mph to 30mph. I cleaned the ribbon connector contacts on the back of the speedo but still have the problem. It happens infrequently enough that i havent bothered trying to find a permanent fix.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
It is electronic and the problem most likely is in the connections behind the gauge pod. They can wiggle loose and cause the gauge to act as you describe. Simply pull the gauge pod and make sure the connections are secure. If you need help or have questions about pulling the gauge pod just email me and I will walk you through it.

travis@rennbay.com

hi

i have checked Clark's Garage on how to remove the gauge pod and that seems straight forward but they have a set of locking levers that hold the plug connector onto the back of the cluster so i don't think they will be loose but after 18 years anything is possible

thanks for the help
Old 02-09-2005, 01:45 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I have the same issue with my speedometer, but it only happens every once in a while. When it does happen, if i give a very light tap on the top of the dash the speedo jumps right back to correct speed, say from 0mph to 30mph. I cleaned the ribbon connector contacts on the back of the speedo but still have the problem. It happens infrequently enough that i havent bothered trying to find a permanent fix.

hi

i do the same fix tap the speedometer and it works but now it stops working every time i stop at a junction, so i am looking to fix it properly

might be the only answer is to replace the complete pod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 944s speedometer not working