Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garden Hose Rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 08:30 PM
pcutt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garden Hose Rant

Hi Everyone,

What is so hard about making a leakproof garden hose?

Last weekend I needed a new hose for the care and feeding of my 944, so I went to Sears and bought an upscale Craftsman hose with a lifetime warranty, (just like their hand tools). When I got home I fired it up and attempted to wash my car, and the thing was unusable, spraying furiously where the male and female couplings mated with the fittings crimped onto the ends.

A few days later I went to a different Sears and the salesbabe swore up and down that she's never gotten a complaint regarding this model leaking, she's never heard of one leaking, and that I must have the only one ever produced that leaks. I figured she's the expert, so I foolishly did a swap for a new one of the same model (Craftsman 69601 25-ftx5/8-in Rubber Garden Hose), and when I got home, the new one had the same problem.

This weekend I'm going back to visit her to get something functional, so before I make her give me a demonstration of a hose not leaking when connected to a spigot and nozzle, do any of you have any recommendations for a hose that works?

Disgustedly yours,
Paul
Old 01-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes.. Wait till Anders see's THIS!

Write a letter to Sears Corporate (Schaumburg IL.?)and demand satisfaction or a refund. They will comply.
I have no hose issues at this time- after several beers and jello shots that changes
Old 01-26-2005, 08:39 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine keeps freezing! What's up with that???

BB.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:02 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

My garden hose is to stiff, had to coil up and put away.

But yeah, wait till the OT police see this!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a little rubber ring that fits inside the female end (dental dam?). That ring may solve your problems. Is the leaking maybe being caused by your spigot?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Garden Hose Danger
CONSUMER NEWS — Can your garden hose be harmful to your health? Before you turn on the hose, you may want to check the label.

Most of us don't think of garden hoses as dangerous, but they may contain lead that can be harmful, especially to young children because it can damage a developing brain.

On a hot summer day, little ones love to take a drink from the hose. This water is fine. But there can be dangerously high levels of lead in water that sits in a hose for a while. Consumer Reports says the problem is that many hoses are made of polyvinyl chloride, which uses lead as a stabilizer.

Consumer Reports spokesperson Jim Nanni says, "That lead can leach into the water. Some hoses carry warnings -'This hose is not for drinking water use.' And some say, 'Do not drink from this hose.'"

According to Nanni, there are some hoses that are labeled "drinking water safe."

In all Consumer Reports checked 16 different hoses to see how much lead could leach into the water. Testers cut off two-foot sections. The hose sections were filled with water and plugged. Then they went into an oven overnight - to simulate a day out in the hot sun. Afterwards chemists analyzed the water. Some had very high levels of lead.

"In some of these hoses we measured 10 to 100 times more lead than the government considers safe coming a faucet," said Nanni.

However, the hoses that were labeled safe to drink lived up to their claim, leaching only minuscule amounts of lead.

To be safe, Consumer Reports says before you drink from a hose, let it run for a minute or so. That will flush out any water that could have been contaminated by lead

You can find hoses that are labeled safe for drinking at home centers such as Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-Mart.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Epic2112
You can buy a little rubber ring that fits inside the female end (dental dam?). That ring may solve your problems. Is the leaking maybe being caused by your spigot?
Any hose should come with a rubber washer, but maybe there's a QC problem at Sears.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:29 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sharky47
But yeah, wait till the OT police see this!
I disagree. He did mention it was for the care and feeding of the 944.

BB.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockfan4
Garden Hose Danger
CONSUMER NEWS — Can your garden hose be harmful to your health? Before you turn on the hose, you may want to check the label.

Most of us don't think of garden hoses as dangerous, but they may contain lead that can be harmful, especially to young children because it can damage a developing brain.

On a hot summer day, little ones love to take a drink from the hose. This water is fine. But there can be dangerously high levels of lead in water that sits in a hose for a while. Consumer Reports says the problem is that many hoses are made of polyvinyl chloride, which uses lead as a stabilizer.

Consumer Reports spokesperson Jim Nanni says, "That lead can leach into the water. Some hoses carry warnings -'This hose is not for drinking water use.' And some say, 'Do not drink from this hose.'"

According to Nanni, there are some hoses that are labeled "drinking water safe."

In all Consumer Reports checked 16 different hoses to see how much lead could leach into the water. Testers cut off two-foot sections. The hose sections were filled with water and plugged. Then they went into an oven overnight - to simulate a day out in the hot sun. Afterwards chemists analyzed the water. Some had very high levels of lead.

"In some of these hoses we measured 10 to 100 times more lead than the government considers safe coming a faucet," said Nanni.

However, the hoses that were labeled safe to drink lived up to their claim, leaching only minuscule amounts of lead.

To be safe, Consumer Reports says before you drink from a hose, let it run for a minute or so. That will flush out any water that could have been contaminated by lead

You can find hoses that are labeled safe for drinking at home centers such as Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-Mart.
Why wouldnt you let it run for a minute or two? Dumb kids drinking toasty hot lead filled water.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:30 PM
pcutt
Burning Brakes

I'm the original poster, and a few of you mentioned a leak occuring where the coupling mates to the spigot where the rubber washer is. I guess I wasn't clear when I wrote

spraying furiously where the male and female couplings mated with the fittings crimped onto the ends
To clarify, at the end of the hose there are two metal parts, the coupling and the crimp, and the rubber washer fits into the coupling where it attaches to the spigot. The leak is at the joint between the metal parts.

I hope I don't have to go thru the hassle of writing the CEO just because they can't make a simple hose. But then again, maybe all that's needed to to keep me happy is a good hose and a complete tuneup and oil change.......hmmmmmm.....
Old 01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you're saying
Old 01-26-2005, 10:36 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Yikes.. Wait till Anders see's THIS!

Write a letter to Sears Corporate (Schaumburg IL.?)and demand satisfaction or a refund. They will comply.
I have no hose issues at this time- after several beers and jello shots that changes

I don't think you need to write a letter to Sears Corporate to get a refund. As far as satisfaction goes, if you bought their "best hose," they won't engineer a new one for you. Just buy one elsewhere with your refund.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't you just bring it in.. say whats wrong with it and get a new one? you can bring in a broken socket and simply swap it if it's craftsman and you bring it to sears.. you can't do that with the hose?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:09 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I totally agree with POS garden hoses. I have never seen a hose connection that didn't leak. I guess that because they are used outdoors that leaking connections are tolerable design flaws.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:14 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Can't you just bring it in.. say whats wrong with it and get a new one? you can bring in a broken socket and simply swap it if it's craftsman and you bring it to sears.. you can't do that with the hose?
Yep. Lifetime guarantee. I've got a 30 year old 1/2in ratchet that I need to swap out one of these days

Quick Reply: Garden Hose Rant