Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ckkrause
I got to the water cooled side this way: I'd been driving my C2 in Driver's Ed and when describing hitting the rev limiter to my wife (before her eyes glazed over), she asked what it would cost if I blew the motor...
And that's when your eyes glazed over?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Name: Scott Harvey Jr.

Occupation: Automotive engineer (I get paid to develop and test NISMO sport suspension kits and light alloy wheels)/ part time freelance writer/photographer/ part time tire dealer and installer of Nokian and Hankook tires.

Hobbies other than Porsche: Sports, cars, sportscars. No really... I race or rally or compete in some sort of motorsport event nearly every weekend. The repair and preparation of a fleet of "sports cars" keeps me very busy. Sometimes I multitask enough to include the wife and kids, music, photography (sometimes things other than cars), beer, reading (non-fiction, mostly cars), movies, non-NASCAR racing on Speed, beer, computers, and beer.

Porsche Genesis: My dad raced a '55 Speedster. I never saw him race it, though I have been told I was a backseat navigator at an early age. After sitting for several years he decided to either restore it or do something with it. The restoration looked a bit daunting so we built a dune buggy around that engine. No problem doing wheelies with that 356 race motor in the back
Ever since my first experiences of the melodic symphony of a gaggle of flat-6s being downshifted before entering turn 5 at Road America (June Sprints) in 1966 - I have been totally gaga over Porsches. The full throttle wail as they accelerated up the hill still echoes in my mind. This was just after the Porsche Carrera 6 (906) made its racing debut in America.

No other manufacturer has such a racing heritage. I have always wanted to own a Porsche - in particular a 911. A few years ago a lady I worked with offered to sell me her 944 (seeing all the Porsche pictures in my cube may have been a clue that I liked the marque). The price was too good to pass up. Since I can fix or repair (or replace) anything - I figured I could fix/ repair this basket case. I was right.
Still need a 911 though...

Rennlist: Was doing a bunch of research to learn more about my 944. Came across some great information. Rennlist is the only one that I have a link to on my website. Great people here - great advice and help!

Old 07-23-2004, 04:30 PM
mck911
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mickey Kramer
age 22.
Student: 5th year senior, Econ Major at U of South Carolina.
Hobbies: Racing, right now doing drivers ed in 86 GT3 Carrera, should have my race liscense soon. Other than that, Lots of Golf. I love golf as much as I love racing, and cars in general. I love my 968, but it really doesn't get any better than an air cooled 6.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Occupation: Automotive engineer (I get paid to develop and test NISMO sport suspension kits and light alloy wheels)/ part time freelance writer/photographer....
Say hi to Mike Kojima for me.

Mike and I are good friends.

Since you are involved with Nissans and rallying, do you know Bob Legere or perhaps Tim Mathers?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:48 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name: Alex Kaduck

Hobbies: Porsches, computers (loving my new Mac), Auto-X, DEs.

Genesis: In college my dad had both a 356 B and a 912 at the same time. When I turned 17, I started my car hunt and had my heart set on a FC3S Maxda RX-7. Well, I couldn't find a good FD, so I started looking at other cars. I wound up with an '88 944 N/A and never looked back.

Rennlist: searching on the web and poof! I found it.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Say hi to Mike Kojima for me.

Mike and I are good friends.

Since you are involved with Nissans and rallying, do you know Bob Legere or perhaps Tim Mathers?
I figured that might have been who you referred to in your comments in regard to the Maxima question asked yesterday. I was at Mike's place last weekend. He's got some cool toys!

I don't rally Nissans. They're all Mitsus. But I do keep my eyes on them now. I have been in contact with Bob and Tim. If I recall, Bob is an Opel nut. We talked a few years ago about having me make a fiberglass hood for a Colt that Bob had/has. There are some pretty good Sentras in rallying these days. Too bad I can't get internal support for a company backed team (yet)!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Name: Bryan Chapman

Occupation: Investment Officer (fancy title, crappy job. Basically customer service for bank broker dealer) and Loss Prevention Detective for Sears.

Hobbies: auto-x, flag at Barbers for SCCA events, of course the car and Rennlist. I think Rennlist may be more of an addiction than a hobby.

Porsche Genesis: Saw a 944 for sell one day and liked it. Found out I could afford one and like it more. Found a turbo and the rest is history.

Rennlist: Not sure. I think I just searched and started reading.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

I figured that might have been who you referred to in your comments in regard to the Maxima question asked yesterday. I was at Mike's place last weekend. He's got some cool toys!
Oh boy, you can say that again. I built the same engine for my SE-R that he has in his 200SX. He's since done much more evolution with his engine. He also is the one to got me the connection that lead to my article in Sport Compact Car.

I don't rally Nissans. They're all Mitsus. But I do keep my eyes on them now. I have been in contact with Bob and Tim. If I recall, Bob is an Opel nut. We talked a few years ago about having me make a fiberglass hood for a Colt that Bob had/has. There are some pretty good Sentras in rallying these days. Too bad I can't get internal support for a company backed team (yet)!
Bob is just a bloody genius. I used to get up his way on business a few years back and he showed me some of the things we was working on. And yes, Bob is an Opel nut.

Small world.

Sorry about the hi-jack folks.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:37 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by UDPride
I pretty much thought it would help me get laid.

Chris, you're my hero.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:02 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Name: Sean Martinez

Occupation: Student at Kettering University (General Motors Institute) majoring in Automotive Engineering AND a Coop student at Nissan Technical Center in Arizona in the powertrain performance department.

Hobbies: My friends say it best "Sean doesn't do it if it doesn't have to do with cars, girls or all of them." But really-Photography, and having a good time with good friends.

Porsche Genesis: Always loved the style of 944's then I saw the turbos. saw a MINT MINT 12k mile guards red 951 at auto X, started talking to the guy and he took me for a ride.....140mph. SOLD-from then on I had to have one, saw the price and 2 years later got my 88 951. The pristene Chevelle is now my weekend car.

Quote: Why does owning a Porsche change your perspective of what a good car is? Because it IS the best.

Rennlist: PO told me to check it out, saw the comeraudery here and joined.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:05 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Ok i'll bite.. Here's my bio:

Name: Steven Toeniskoetter

Occupation: Law Student @ USF (and Law Clerk at a Fed Crim Law firm)

Hobbies (other than Porsche): Computers, law, travelling (to the Vaterland, etc..), cooking.

Porsche Genesis: Not really sure when I first became interested, but it was probably an old 911 TT I saw on a poster. My more significant interest began two years ago when I moved to the Bay Area from Minneapolis, and suddenly saw the HUGE amount of Porsches here. I started to pay attention, learned what I could, and became "obsessed." My first (and only) Porsche is the '83 944 I purchased about 2 months ago from my uncle-in-law. Unfortunately I'll have to buy a 4-door sedan for work when I graduate (Audi A4 or BMW 3 or 5 series) but hoping to get a 951 or a 964 to join the fleet in a about 5-7 years.

Rennlist: searched for 944 information before i went to buy (wanted to know exactly what i was getting into and what to look for).. I'll be joining up soon, once i get my student loans.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:48 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Name: Pete Neyra

Occupation: Kitchen Design and Sales. I'm sick of it and I'm contemplating a career change. I just need to figure out what to change to.

Hobbies: The blue thing in the avatar and enjoying the single life again (this time for good)

Porsche Genesis: I've loved cars since watching Speed Racer when I was seven. I was buying a new car back in 1983 at a Chevy/Porsche dealer when they rolled in a bright and shiny new 1983 944. It was one of the first in Dayton and the first one I ever saw in person. I was stunned by the look of it. The wide fenders, the long hood, and how low slung and sexy it was. All of sudden the new Camaro I just bought looked like a cheap POS (which it absolutely was).
Years later I had a very hot rodded VW bug that I pretty much built from scratch and decided to sell it when I found out that 944's were selling for so little. I had always thought that they were out of reach.
I think I'll always own at least one 944 series car from now on.

Rennlist: I was just learning my way around computers when I bought my first 944 so I did the usual searches and ended up on the Pelican site. I found out about Rennlist there and I've been here ever since.
I've met so many good friends here and learned so much that I can't imagine life without this place.
I think I'll go wash my car now.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:00 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Name: Ted Ambrose

Hobbies: Golf, DE Events, anger management

Porsche Genesis: Loved the way that the curves on the early 930 looked.

Rennlist: After owning a 911SC for a year I got the bug to start doing track events. I only drive the 911 about 600 miles per year (total of 92,000 mi on the clock) and didn't think it was the appropriate candidate for a mostly track car. Bright idea..951 seamed right for the task in terms of price, power and ability to obtain more power with few mods. Did a Google search just to find some general information on what to look for... ended up here. Not only did I find great info, I also found a great 951 owned by a fellow lister.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

UD, you continue to make me laugh my *** off with your posts...lol
Old 07-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

Name: David Lefkowitz

Hobbies: fine art, video games, girls, road trips, drunken fishing/camping.

Porsche Experience: old elementary school friend's dad had a 951 a long time ago, I used to ride in the back seat. When I was 17 had worked for 2 years to buy a car and bought my first car, the 944 two days before Hurricane Allison broke out. If it wasn't for my purchase, the car would have been 12 feet under water.

How I rolled up on Rennlist: lurked on roadfly forums, then got a link to rennlist.

my car:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!