Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 09:36 AM
David Agatone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name: David Agatone

Non Porsche related hobbies: Landscape/hardscaping, woodwork, oil painting, weight lifting.

Porsche genesis: I remember a commercial as a kid, a mountain road in the woods as the back drop...it started: "If you were a car, what would you be? You'd be agile...you'd be quick..(more text inserted here) (next part of the scene is a 944 coming out of a 180 powerslide) you'd be a Porsche" From that moment on, I had to have one. And who ever said that advertising was a waste of money??
Old 07-23-2004, 09:58 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Name: Brian Barrows

Occupation: In transition. By training I was an environmental consultant, but I hated the jobs I had. I got myself in a position to make some changes (money saved up, roommates paying my mortgage, etc) so I'm going to be going back to school for nursing. While taking the prerequisites I need, I will either be teaching or a substitute teacher (I sub'd last year but found myself in a full-time position. They wanted to offer it to me next year but it just fell through. So, unless I find something else, I'll just sub again.)

Non Porsche Hobbies: Skiing, scuba diving (been a long time, though), paintballing, and now house fixing.

Porsche Genesis: I've loved Porsches since before I had my driver's license. I talked my dad into buying a '74 911 and it all went from there. One day, about four years ago, I asked a cute blonde out on a date and she shot me down. So, to make myself feel better I started surfing the classified ads to see what kind of nifty cars were out there. That is when I first realized just how affordable 944s are! Four days later I owned one.

How I heard about Rennlist: Referred by another Rennlister.

BB.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Kurt, ripe age of 21

Occupation: one more year of college to go, then The Real World commences...

Hobbies: computers, fine beers, all sports known to man

Porsche Genesis: I'm 16 years old visiting relatives in New England. On the trip, we visit one of my mom's roommates from college. Noticed her husband had a 993 C4S in the garage and asked him about it. To which he replied "Yep, wanna take it for a drive tomorrow?" Suffice to say, I was 16, just got my license and just learned how to drive a manual. Well...that was enough to hook me, that young and inexperienced driving a C4S on winding mountain roads. Bought a 944 NA as soon as I could - at 19. Sold that at 21 and upgraded to the current 951 with a seasoned total of 55k miles. Basically, all of my earned money goes towards this awesome hobby. It's worth it, even the hefty insurance, because...there is no substitute.

Rennlist Genesis: see the guy right above this post, referred to by BeerBurner on another forum!

Old 07-23-2004, 10:46 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Paul Caiazzo
Hobbies: Guitar, bass, piano, hiking, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, basically any outdoors type of activity. I spend my days locked up in a datacenter, in my free time I need to be enjoying the outdoors.

Porsche/Rennlist Genesis: I was looking for a replacement to my second gen Mazda RX7 and came across a 1984 944. I had always loved 944's and couldn't beleive how affordable this particular car was. It was in great shape, and an awesome shade of Gemini Grey Metallic. I bought it the day after test driving it and immediately looked online for anywhere I could find any info on 944's. I came across what was then known as Porschefiles and started receiving daily digest emails about all things 944. I asked the typical newbie questions too...Since then, I've bought 2 more 944's, a 1987 NA and a 1986 Turbo. Love them both, unfortunately neither are running right now. Soon enough.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:54 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin Seeley

Occupationg: Computer Technician. I'm also now going through the process of buying a golf retail franchise.

Hobbies: Golf, and all other sports, movies, yard work.

Porsche Genesis: My Aunt left me her 924s when she pasted do to cancer. She was very involved in the club and I spent a lot of time at events with her. I was the only other person she would let drive the car.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:54 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Jake Krans
Occupation: For a couple more months: Graduate Student and Adjunct Faculty, Soon-to-be Post-Doctoral Fellow (in January)
Hobbies: Is this a joke... the PORSCHE!
Porsche and Rennlist Genesis: I have been attracted to the lines and shape of the 944/951 for at least a decade. When I saw one for sale, a Euro nontheless, out in the middle of nowhere, I jumped on it. I probably paid too much ($5500). The engine ended up being rebuilt in under 6K miles... but I love it, and being that it's a Euro, I rationalize the expense well.
I found rennlist via Pelican Parts forums, which I found searching google.

I feel honored to be a part of this community, and I appreciate the opportunity to contribute, however few and far between my answers may be!
Old 07-23-2004, 11:09 AM
erics944
Racer

Name: Eric Warner

Hobbies: relaxing, sleeping, ebay, fireworks, driving my car.

Porsche Genesis: Started not too long ago(fall of '03). I wanted a sports car and a co-worker showed me the 944's. He had previously owned an '83 944, '91 944s2, and currently has a '97 Boxster. I didn't realize I could buy a Porsche for so little. After some seat time I decided I am never living without a Porsche in my garage. I reaaaalllllyyy want a Carerra 4 or a GT2.

Rennlist Genesis: Same co-worker who introduced me to the 944 told me about rennlist.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name: George Roffe

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Racing, woodworking, photography, training for my first marathon (if my body stays healthy - damned shin splints)

Porsche Genesis: Oh God. That's pre-recorded history. Seriously, I can barely remember a time that I wasn't interested in cars and virtually all that time I wanted a Porsche. Wanted a 944 since first seeing a pre-production photo back in 81. Found mine in a bone yard, straight and complete while wandering around seeing if they had anything worthy of building into a race car. Never imagined my first Porsche would be my first race car as well.

How I Found Out About Rennlist: As soon as I bought my car I started scouring the web for resources. For the first time in 10 years I had to learn a new platform and I had a lot to learn. Found Rennlist following a link from some web site (I have no idea which one).

Last edited by Geo; 07-23-2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:22 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Name: Ian Klass

Occupation: Sales Assistant: trying to get back to being an Investment Consultant, its that or I get out of the industry.

Hobbies: Golf, Soccer, Skiing, D.E. events, Auto-X, Mt. Biking, Reading, and Watching Movies.

Porsche Genesis: Car nut by birth I have always been interested in all things automotive, and for my 21st birthday I wanted to buy a sports car and went through a list of possible choices, e30 M3's, 300ZX, Rx7's, Audi UR quattro's, and many many more. But after the test drive of the 951 I knew what I wanted. Today after 4 951,s and 1 968 i'm still set on these currious waterpumpers. I try to get away and they draw me right back in.

How I found out about rennlist: I have no idea, I think I was reading up on 951's and one link directed me here.

Last edited by ian; 07-23-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Eric Cyranski

Sales Manager for voice and data products (phone systems and routers)

Racing,tennis, golf, world travel

Growing up in Detroit, foregin car ownership was out of the question (intense labor strife in the 60's-70's) When I was 16, I found a 914 for sale, parents said "No freakin' way" Got a Old Cutlass instead. Ever since that time, I knew a P car was going to be mine. Started out with a 993 Cab about 5 years ago. Caught the DE bug and made the Cab into a full on race car. One year of club racing with the Cab showed me that it would not be competitive in its class. All my buddies were racing 944's and I wanted to run with them so I found a nice 944 S2 build by Racers Edge and have been learning the car for the past 5 months. I have to say, I dont miss the cab at all (except for top down runs on Lake Shore Drive)
The S2 is almost as fast as the 993 and it handles much better on the track. Next Porsche will be a GT3 Cup (4 or 5 years down the road) I thought of myself as a resource on the 993 board (40K in mods gave me some expierence) On the watercooled forums, I am just a newbie!

I found out about about Rennlist from a local PCA guy when it was Porschelist 5 or 6 years ago
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2004, 11:29 AM
icat
Race Car

Name: Keith "icat" Foster

Porsche Genesis - Taken from my parents at birth by a group of nomadic Gemman immigrants, I was raised in a small Texas community where I was indoctrinated into a Porsche clan. After years of mind games I finally gave in and purchased my first 944. The 83 model was in disgusting shape and was nicknamed Code Red. After FINALLY going cold turkey I was able to break the spell of the money pit and purchase the 951. Still longing for my former habit I quickly christened the new ride... what else - Code Red.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name: Dave Miller

Hobbies: wrenching, reading

Porsche Genesis: way back when in my early 20's, I was a prof wrench. I worked in an Italian garage and we competed in SCCA club racing and supported several race cars. At the track, I finally got a chance to see Porsches in action in their glory days of the late 70s-early 80's. The D Prod 924 was a serious force to be reckoned with and there were numerous privateers running. We also autocrossed about every event with an X1/9 and our nemesis was a hot 914 and a way illegal Spit. Sooo, I got hooked on them with the determination to one day.... Well, about 5 years ago, that day came I drove a 951 home with my name on the title. Several years later, a 931 followed my truck home on a trailer. So now I have a basket case 931 that's slowly being resurrected and a 951 to keep up, along with the son's Scirocco street legal wannabe race car. My daughter will be driving the 931 when she turns 16. Am I nuts? Yup, but there's method to that madness, she drives a car that I've been through one end to the other, there's not another one for miles so she's as unmarked as a UFO, and if she wrecks it, I can part it out and break even (which I hope she doesn't to), and finally she wants to autocross in it. So even after sending one off to college, I still have an autocross compadre in the house.

Rennlist Genesis: I stumbled across the Rennlist while reading up on Porsches over on the "Bird Board". Intrigued, I searched for the List and promptly joined, making it official with greenbacks later. I still go over there periodically and even stoop to visiting the PCA sites, but Rennlist is my Porsche "Internet home".
Old 07-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Madant26x
Racer

Name: Dan Herman

Occupation: Starting my own company... Home Generator Company (www.homegenco.com)

Hobbies: PCA Track Events, AutoXing, Snowboarding, Mountain & Road Biking, Drinkin' Beer

Porsche Genesis: My dad has been into cars since he was young. He used to club race with PCA Riesentöter Region F Stock, and took me to every race when I was a kid. Rubbed off on me. Soon to be club racing in a few years.

Rennlist: Used to have a VW and was on their forums (VW Vortex), so I did a search for Porsche forums when I became interested in buying one.

Here's my 951:
Old 07-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Marc

Age 38

IT Manager

Wanted a Porsche since I was 10!

Been a rennlister since it's inception, before that Porschephiles and Porschefans, than John created Porschelist and the rest is history!

There are other hobbies besides cars?

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 07-23-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:17 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Sam Grant - 27 I manage cancer trials for a pharma company.

I was on Porschefans, then Porschelist, now rennlist...Ive been "around" since 1997 I think.

Grew up with posters on my walls of Porsches, and my dad had a brown 83 n/a, red 85.5 n/a, ordered a turbo when he heard it was coming and traded in the brown n/a for it. Its still in the family, although in much different form now. I blame my addiction on them for putting all the Porsche posters in my room at such a young impressionable age

edited: 2/14/07

Last edited by SamGrant951; 02-14-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!