Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Leaking around Fuel Door

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Leaking around Fuel Door

After a DE this past weekend I noticed that I had a lot of gas coming out from teh fuel cap area and running off the side of the car. I have also noticed that there is a gas smell in the cabin now. I have read the archives about gas smell in the cabin and looked at where the drain hoses come together and everything looks fine. Anyone experienced this problem and/or have a fix out there. I would think that since there is gas coming out of the car, that something with the cap or lines around the filler cap would be bad. Just need some help with someone who may have dealt with this before. TIA.

TJ
Old 07-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Might want to check both cap seal or filler neck.

TakeCare

Last edited by Hans; 07-23-2004 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most likely the seal 0-ring on your gas cap.. can be replaced individually.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep a gas cap is no biggie. Although if you're smelling gas fumes from the cabin might there also be a leak somewhere else?
Old 07-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the tank VERY full and a hard right turn involved? That's enough for upsplash thru the filler tube to occur.. If not see the above fixes.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is also a more difficult problem to fix there.

I had that issue on my race car. Well new o-rings failed to solve it. It turned out there is a flapper door inside the filler neck. Attached to the door is small round plastic 1/2 bubble that acts as a float to help close the filler door when fuel hits it. This bubble broke off and feel into the tank. It's pressese in the tank cause other issues, but the lack of bubble mean the flapper door did not close. Well my neck leaked fuel. It seems that the o-ring could not stop the fuel. I replaced the part of the filler neck and it has not leaked since. Seems that most of the fuel is held back by this flapper door and what gets by is sealed by the o-ring on the cap.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:59 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
There is also a more difficult problem to fix there.

I had that issue on my race car. Well new o-rings failed to solve it. It turned out there is a flapper door inside the filler neck. Attached to the door is small round plastic 1/2 bubble that acts as a float to help close the filler door when fuel hits it. This bubble broke off and feel into the tank. It's pressese in the tank cause other issues, but the lack of bubble mean the flapper door did not close. Well my neck leaked fuel. It seems that the o-ring could not stop the fuel. I replaced the part of the filler neck and it has not leaked since. Seems that most of the fuel is held back by this flapper door and what gets by is sealed by the o-ring on the cap.
I saw that flapper in PET awhile back and wondered if it might be the cause of my raw gas fume problem on curves and when the tank is over 1/2 full. I don't leak any fuel but think the slooshing gas is leaking out the filler neck and soaking the seal between the metal cover in the hatch area. Was there also a fume problem with yours before the repair? Did you have to drop/lower the tank to replace your filler neck? What all was involved with your repairs? I really have to get this problem fixed, really spoils a good drive plus I can never fill the tank all the way.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

This sounds like probable areas to attack. I can hear a hissing/vaccum leak sometimes when I get home. I think I need to take a look at that flapper to see if it is bent back. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a race car and I only drove it with window's open. Never any fuel smell, but I am not sure that there would not have been if it were a street car.

No need to drop the tank, but you do need access to the filler neck. You will need to get unter the side carpet to access the black metal cover panel.

See pic below.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:35 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Great, I was hoping I could do it without a tank drop. I'm also suspicious of the 3" dia. gasket for the sending unit under that fabric cover in the photo. Brad-Cam had a leak here and found out it was a common source of fumes also, he gave me a gasket so I'll do both pieces at the same time just in case. Thanks again for the help, I'll post back if it solves the problem.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:44 AM
84black944
Racer

I dont experience any leaks myself but am wondering is it normal to get a ruch of fumes when i open the gas cap to fill my tank.

Quick Reply: Gas Leaking around Fuel Door