Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potenial Fix To Rattling Sound Caused by Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 03:16 PM
944EX
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Potenial Fix To Rattling Sound Caused by Fuel Filter

User Guide to Removing Possible Fuel Filter Noise for a 944 N/A

This brief guide is intended to aid in removing a very annoying noise that may be caused by a fuel filter.

If you just had your fuel filter replaced (which usually occurs every 15,000 miles) and then you hear a rattling sound (like metal rattling metal) coming from the rear of the car, only noticeable on acceleration or deceleration, then this may be the simply fix you need.

If you hear a rattling sound during acceleration and the fuel filter has not been touched, then this simple procedure will probably be of no help.

Description of rattling sound: It is metal, being vibrated by other metal. It’s a loud, dull ring that can be easily heard with the windows up and radio off. It comes from the rear of the car and almost sounds like the rear hatch is slightly open. It is annoying and can drive a person mad.

Cause (as near as I can tell): When a new fuel filter is installed it may be put in at an angle, which brings part of the metal of the filter in contact with the frame. When the engine accelerates, the transmission, which is right next to the filter, vibrates the frame, thus vibrating the filter to a wild state. This creates a rattling sound. Generally certain RPMs caused my sound. 3300 in third gear was the prime sound causer for me. Note: sounds coming from the car at certain RPMs can be much worse problems.

The fix to this problem takes about thirty seconds to do.

Simply slide under the rear of the car and locate the fuel filter. It is on the passenger side of the car, in front of the fuel tank. I can slide under the car, past the gas tank, and fiddle with the fuel filter without jacking the car up. If you have to jack the car up, put it on blocks and other extreme safety measures. Once you see the fuel filter, grab the side of the filter closest to the transmission. I gave mine filter 3 strong pulls downward, so that the bracket holding it slightly bent down, thus creating some space between the frame and the actual filter. Doing this stopped the rattling sound completely. The sound does not come back. This has occurred with my two last fuel filter changes.

There is a simple bracket holding the filter, which you may try to loosen with a flat head screwdriver and reposition the filter that way, though this did not work for me.

At first I was cautious about yanking my fuel filter as I worried I would brake it, then drown myself in fuel. However, the thing is pretty tough, and after a few attempts of softly moving the filter with no noticeable results, I gave it a stronger yank. I knew it was the filter making the sound because the rattling noise changed tones and frequencies each time I fiddled with the fuel filter.

That’s all it takes to stop the noise, if the fuel filter is the cause of the noise you hear.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:22 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think thats annoying....

Youve never heard a shot CV joint have you?

Quick Reply: Potenial Fix To Rattling Sound Caused by Fuel Filter