Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 944 Hybrids!!

Old 06-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P944forscott..... A normal, 5.7 chev V8 does weigh about 150 pounds more that the 944 engine. But, an LT-1 with alloy heads and intake manifold, along with tube hedders reduce the overall difference to around 80 pounds. And, an LS motor would be a fun conversion, but it will not fit without major surgery, the cost is much greater than an LT motor, and the LT will make more than enough hp for the 944 chassis and tranny. We have used the 951 tranny in all of the conversions and have yet to grenade one, and some of these cars have been pretty well thrashed. However, a 500 hp conversion is in the works and, who knows, prehaps a Tremic 6-speed will be the next engineering challenge! I would like to see that!
Old 06-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pred - I am kind of surprised that more of you hadnt tried the T-5/6 since it is configured roughly the same.

When you get that working give me a call, THERE is a Chevy part I would be happy to trade for.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:27 PM
944LT1
Racer

Pred, You are so full of $hitttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Show some proof of all the cars "WE" have worked on or have in the works??? YOU paid to have your conversion done......right??and ever since then you act like you invented the conversion and that you have converted several cars since then. PLEASE show us some proof!!!

Also 75 MPH on a turbo tranny is 3000rpm, not 2250 as you post earlier. (I have verified this with GPS for speed and freescan for RPM) And 22mph??? come on get real and quit the BS
Old 06-13-2004, 03:39 PM
944LT1
Racer

Originally posted by Predator
I suggest, use as many of Renegades parts as possible, especially their wiring harness, hedders, and, of course, all their advice. Take your time, measure twice, cut once (actually no cutting is necessary).Old times:
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/po..._012_copy3.jpg
TERRIBLE ADVICE!!!

I suggest anybody attempting this conversion buy ONLY the base kit from Renegade. (Bell housing, engine support, brake conv. pieces) Everything else can be sourced much cheaper! ESPECIALLY the wiring harness!!~!!they ream you for like $750 on that one alone! Plus they charge extra to flash the computer!
(I have done 15 harness and flash computer for conversionist for $250) I offered to Renegade to do them for $150 for him and he could mark them up some, he said great I'll send them all to you and sell the for $750, I said no thanks!!!!!

Old 06-13-2004, 03:52 PM
944LT1
Racer

P944forscott..... A normal, 5.7 chev V8 does weigh about 150 pounds more that the 944 engine. But, an LT-1 with alloy heads and intake manifold, along with tube hedders reduce the overall difference to around 80 pounds. And, an LS motor would be a fun conversion, but it will not fit without major surgery, the cost is much greater than an LT motor, and the LT will make more than enough hp for the 944 chassis and tranny. We have used the 951 tranny in all of the conversions and have yet to grenade one, and some of these cars have been pretty well thrashed. However, a 500 hp conversion is in the works and, who knows, prehaps a Tremic 6-speed will be the next engineering challenge! I would like to see that!
AGAIN BS BS BS BS !!!!!
LT1 engine is 125+ pounds heavier with aluminum heads!!!!

I am finishing my 7th conversion that I did all the work myself in my garage at my house. I know what I'm talking about......

OH and BTW I have already commited to help put an LS1 in a 968.........details in the next few months......944LT1 Pictures
Old 06-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

Default RE 944LT1

944LT1 what are you doing for cooling systems??

Mine still runs kind of hot but I am using stock 951 radiator and aftermarket electric fans.

7 Conversions. WOW!! How many do you still have and are you making and $$ at this??

Later
Old 06-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Predator
Pro

Ya know... every time ol' 944LT-1 chimes in here, he's got a hard on for me. I don't know why. Yea, BFR did the original engine installation for me, as John is a good friend, and we used his shop. Since then, I've had the complete drive train in and out of the car 3 times, so I think I know a little about the installation. I also do some R&D for John. Specifically, we just thrashed the new style hedders offered by Renegade. Took three tries, but we finally got them correct. Needless to say, you don't want to experiment on a customers car. So 944LT-1, chill out, try decaf... and kiss my rosie red ***!!! And FYI, our Garmin GPS reads 70 mph at 2250 rpm.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:21 PM
944LT1
Racer

Ya know... every time ol' 944LT-1 chimes in here, he's got a hard on for me. I don't know why. Yea, BFR did the original engine installation for me, as John is a good friend, and we used his shop. Since then, I've had the complete drive train in and out of the car 3 times, so I think I know a little about the installation. I also do some R&D for John. Specifically, we just thrashed the new style hedders offered by Renegade. Took three tries, but we finally got them correct. Needless to say, you don't want to experiment on a customers car. So 944LT-1, chill out, try decaf... and kiss my rosie red ***!!! And FYI, our Garmin GPS reads 70 mph at 2250 rpm.
I am just calling you on your BS. Your past post indicate you or should I say "WE" have converted several cars. Now you say youve had your entire drivetrain out 3 times. So have you worked on any other conversions? (except yours after it was originally done by BFR)

And first you say 75mph and 2250 now its 70??

Everyone with a turbo tranny turns the same RPM at 75mph regardless of engine, SO everyone chime in WHATS YOUR RPM AT 75MPH?

Last edited by 944LT1; 06-13-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:35 PM
944LT1
Racer

Default Re: RE 944LT1

Originally posted by Bob Ward
944LT1 what are you doing for cooling systems??

Mine still runs kind of hot but I am using stock 951 radiator and aftermarket electric fans.

7 Conversions. WOW!! How many do you still have and are you making and $$ at this??

Later
I use a custom Fluidyne aluminum radiator and a 2900cfm fan. Not really making money but I have almost paid for 944LT1
Old 06-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

The balance shaft design was mitsubishi's and they were paid $8 a car I believe

If it is true I don't see how adding that much weight to the front end of a car "doesn't make that much of a diffence".

For the extra 200 hp it's well worth it IMO, some stiffer spring up front can at least make for some of the weight. Aluminum heads and manifolds will knock off a whole bunch of that weight as mentioned before, then the stiffer springs can bring that car back to a near nuetral state (I dunno if I worded that right).

I'm not an expert, I'm just going by what I think would help so corrections to anything I say would be appreciate by me and so I'm not steering people in the wrong direction.

As for the LT-1 conversions, I'm sure a whole bunch of other people would like to know what's involved as well, i.e. the list of parts needed. Again, going from my little knowledge on the subject, I's expect the obvious. engine, wiring harness, computer, some sort of mounts....what else?

I'm also assumong it would be cheaper to source the parts by yourself for a cheaper conversion in the long run but more of a hassle and downtime if you already pulled out the old engine.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Dave E
Pro

so how about the LS-6? does anyone know what it weighs? an aluminum block should save alot of weight, my turbo engine is listed as 401 lbs dry in the manual. that is a heavy engine for what it is.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

LS doesn't fit into the 944, specifically the LS oil pan won't clear the crossmember.

Sam
Old 06-14-2004, 08:00 AM
ftanguay
Racer

I do agree with almost everyone here, the car company (all of them) make silly thing some time. I saw someone change his spark plugs on a mini van once (chrysler if I'm remember) OUTCH! who need to lift they're motor to change the rear plugs? talk to me about the greatness of american engineering ; ) hey Predator (just kidding ) But suddently I just began a full rebuild of my Porsche and WHOOOOOO! GOD O WHY have done this to me? (DR Porsche personalize GOD) They really pack it on! It's like a meat loaf in there.

By the way, why some of you prefer American (or other) than european car and buy a Porsche??? It's really not clear to me.

I just talk to a University Physician few weeks ago (don't worry I'm not in that business), the guy work in the Indy car serie few years ago. The thing I remember the most about him is that phrase " the car was invented in German ans French!, not in English" (sorry if that comment offend anyone)

I notice some of you talk about the Audi and VW thing... It's true... but there almost all the same company for years. Porsche always use VW and Audi parts because they can supply the parts at lower cost since they have a VERY large market. And for the mitsubishi balance shaft, I have read it could have cost more to desing another kind of balance shaft than pay royalty...

its funny how things turn out in the new car... like the new corvette, the transmission put in the back! have you find old trick here or it's just me? and the aluminium block, and the turbo's... just to name few of the old German trick use in our 20 years old car. Talk to me about new technology improvement ; )

And even If someone beat me with a log trying to make me tell that I like anything else than european car... I'll never fall for the dark side ; )

In the end, I will never understand you to put anything else than Porsche engine in a Porsche... but it's a free wold!

(sorry it's kind of long)

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally posted by ftanguay
By the way, why some of you prefer American (or other) than european car and buy a Porsche??? It's really not clear to me.
I'm one of those people, and I love cars. All kinds of cars. I get a different thrill from each one. I love my p-car but I also love the rumble of a V8. I'm not limiting myself to a brand or nationality when I look at cars. For my next new car, I might do a WRX STi. I might do an S2000. I might do a Corvette. I might do a Boxster. I havent' decided yet. Is it wrong that I'm not interested in only Japanese, only American, or only German cars?

I didn't buy my p-car for presitge, or halo, or brand identity. I bought it for what it could do.

I have a brother-in-law who owns nothing but VWs (five of them) but quite frankly I just don't get it. Yeah, OK, German design and reliable, but FIVE OF THEM? Did you ever see someone buy two of the same car (brand new, not for parts or one for track, one for street) and wonder why?

I love Italian exotics. However, if I hit the lottery, I don't think I'd have five Lamborghinis or five Ferraris. Certainly I'd have at least one of each, but I imagine I'd be like Jay Leno -- a wide swath and variety of cars represented.

It's like girls -- I don't have a particular type. You can find something to enjoy in all of them.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally posted by ftanguay
its funny how things turn out in the new car... like the new corvette, the transmission put in the back!
Been there since the C5 in 1997.

have you find old trick here or it's just me? and the aluminium block, and the turbo's...
Aluminum block came along in the early 90's.
No turbo Corvettes from the factory.

just to name few of the old German trick use in our 20 years old car. Talk to me about new technology improvement ; )
Funny, I was irate by my p-car's interference engine and rubber timing belt. The last car I had with such design flaws was a cheap 1985 Isuzu. I expected better from Porsche.

There are plenty of technological innovations in cars like the Corvette. Even if you hate everything that's not Teutonic, "know thy enemy". Based on your statements, you don't know the competition very well.

And even If someone beat me with a log trying to make me tell that I like anything else than european car... I'll never fall for the dark side ; )
Well, that's your entitlement, but you will miss out on some great cars. If I had your attitude, I would have never discovered my wonderful p-car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Hybrids!!