Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Please Help to get rid off 89 Isuzu Impulse Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Shabba
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by slinky
esanmiguel,

You might try posting the car on Isuzone.net:
http://www.kipanderson.net/forum/

Isuzone is a discussion board for Impulse, Imark and Geo Storm enthusiasts (kinda like Rennlist).
DEFINITELY put it on Isuzone. I am a genuine Isuzu nut (having owned a few and currently co-own an '88 turbo) and that car will sell fast. A blown head gasket is not too much trouble (we just replaced it on the '88 not two days ago!!). These are fantastic cars for the money and are relatively bullet proof. Much like p-cars, they need to be maintained, but they are way cheap to upkeep (did that rhyme?). Parts are getting a little scarce, but provided the turbo and exhaust manifold aren't cracked, the head gasket is about 40 bucks and replacment time is only about 2 hours (if you are handy) for the gasket. If I lived on the west coast, I would have been at your house this morning making you coffee and breakfast while loading the car up. BTW, these cars are often referred to as the JR series fwiw. The 90-92 impulse came in the RS and XS models and if you are fortunate enough to own or find an RS model (made in 91 and 92, about 800 made TOTAL), they are fantastic cars as well. Someone made a disparaging remark about these cars that is completely off base. The RS was well built, quirky, faster than you think (7.0 seconds to 60, low 15 quarter from a 160 hp intercooled turbo 1.6 liter motor) had all wheel drive standard, loaded with factory options and was fairly comfortable. Even the base model, the XS was a great car and like other isuzu cars, pretty reliable. Soooo...that was the lists Isuzu lesson for the day!
Old 03-15-2004, 12:34 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Shabba
Someone made a disparaging remark about these cars that is completely off base.
Where was the remark? I don't see any real negatives about the car in the entire thread...(other than the plasticy interior, which in reality, really is a trait of many asian import cars (hell, even most american cars) of the 80's)
Old 03-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Shabba
Racer

Originally posted by tifosiman
Where was the remark? I don't see any real negatives about the car in the entire thread...(other than the plasticy interior, which in reality, really is a trait of many asian import cars (hell, even most american cars) of the 80's)
Originally posted by esanmiguel
. This is the all Japanese made 1st generation and not the crappy GM made 90's Impulse (Geo Storm).
Hmmm...the original post was the disparaging one...I thought it was further down the line..oh yeah, the interior was plasticky no doubt...I completely agree!
Old 03-16-2004, 02:21 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh man Esan, that really sucks. I remember you posting about when you got it, that was only a few months ago. I would really love to take it off your hands, but I just couldn't warrant spending that much money and shipping (or time off and towing).
I truely would buy it too, sorry man
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM
OGO
1st Gear

Originally Posted by esanmiguel
If anyone does not know about the Impulse Turbo, it was one of the premium "sleeper" GT's in the mid 80's. This is the all Japanese made 1st generation and not the crappy GM made 90's Impulse (Geo Storm). This particular model is rare and is definitley a collector's item.

This is the last model for this generation and all the goodies are in this car. The car has a 2.0 liter 8V intercooled Turbo, RWD with LSD, Handling designed and tuned by Lotus. Recaro seats, power everything, auto climate control. The car is auto transmission and is very quick and very torquey.

I bought this car for my wife's niece (who is teenager) as her first car.
The car was bought off a senior citizen who first owned it since 1989. The car has been garaged, pampered, and maintained perfectly. It only has 65K miles. The condition of the car is immaculate. It looked like it just rolled off the showroom. Its that clean.. I bought the car for $3500 less than a year ago.

Here is the problem. Once my wife's niece took over the car, it was pretty much abused. It got into a fender bender which moved the front bumper a few inches down and messed up the front alignment. Then two days ago, the car started making VERY loud ticking noises (bent valves?).. I am not really sure what happened but the car will still run but will stall after a while. The car is loud and now sounds like a diesel truck. I checked the oil and it looked a tiny bit milky (head gasket?). I am not really sure how this car got to this condition, but nevetheless, it is now sitting on a driveway stuck there.

I figured that it would not be worth getting a new engine for the car. I can try to take the engine apart and inspect the head but I no longer have the time to do such work. I want to sell the car as is for $1500. Is this reasonable? I need to get rid of it soon.
I'm looking for an impulse turbo to buy my name is Tom and # 904-540-4627
Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by OGO
I'm looking for an impulse turbo to buy my name is Tom and # * * *
Just in case the OP hasn't gotten rid of it, 12 years later?
Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 AM
Jessie M Brandt
1st Gear

Default Isuzu impulse

I realize this is an Old Post. But if you still have this impulse I will buy it from you now. My email is Jbrandt2501@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick Reply: OT: Please Help to get rid off 89 Isuzu Impulse Turbo