Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stronger starter motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 11:53 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stronger starter motor?

Has anyone tried to put a more powerful starter on a 944? I'm having a starting problems -- especially on cold days and because I have 968 engine (that I'm trying to crank up with a tired old starter....). I need to freshen up my starter a bit.

But then I came across this on eBay: 968 tip starter. I hear this is a 1.7w unit, while the standard 944 starter is 1.4w. The picture looks like it would fit. The seller says it'll fit a 944 and he seems knowledgable. I'd like to get a second opinion, though.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a reasonably recent rebuilt starter in my S2-engined 944. It's an 8-valve starter - same as my original 8-valve 944 starter - I replaced it a couple years ago before I did the engine swap.

It has no problem at all cranking the higher compression 3.0 liter S2 engine over.

The only time it struggles a bit is when it's insanely cold outside - well below freezing. But there are other factors contributing when it's super cold - mainly the engine oil. I'm running 15W-50 mobil one in the engine and synthetic or not, it gets good n' thick when it's below zero out. And this makes it very difficult for the starter to turn the engine. I've put a small heat lamp under my oil pan on those super cold mornings and if you just take a little bit of the chill off the oil, the engine will crank over fine.

I'm going to run a slightly thinner oil next winter (5W-50) and don't expect to have any problems with my run-of-the-mill starter.

Bryan
Old 03-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you try new grounds before replacing the starter. I hear that it makes a world of difference.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:51 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Doesn't the battery's performance in cold weather effect this as well?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
I suggest you try new grounds before replacing the starter. I hear that it makes a world of difference.
It does.

You can also rebuild your old starter pretty cheap. New brush assemblies are availible from most chain parts stores. (Audi/VW used the same starter) Clean up the bearings and armature with solvent, re-grease bearings and contact points with good moly lube, and replace the soleniod.

Save a buck when you can.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:09 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Thanks Perry, that what I was wondering about!

I actually just did the grounds last weekend and it's gotten warmer around here. But the car starts up as if it's still below freezing. So I'm moving down the list of 'to check' list. The next up is solenoid and then the whole starter -- if I'm going that far, I might as well consider replacing it. In my current screwed-up living situation, it's actually easier for me to replace a part over the weekend than to let the car be out of commission while a shop rebuilds the starter. I miss having a garage to wrench in...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:16 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

The rennlist member "dmsog" owns a starter/alternator shop. Search on a post by be about Doug. He's a really nice guy.

He sold me a complete brush assembly (no soldering!) for a very fair price.

Also, if you are replacing a solenoid, rockauto.com sells genuine BOSCH soleniods for our cars, also a very fair price (<$50 including shipping if I remember correctly).

I just had my starter out last night (new soleniod was binding - should have used some grease on the soleniod piston - doh! - also a tip from Doug).

Oh, I did "rebuild" my own starter last summer. A little messy, but very rewarding!
Old 03-08-2004, 01:21 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The large cable from the battery to the starter is also a source of resistance. These corrode inside the insulation at the ends creating resistance. Seen a few that use the cheepo clamp the cable ends at the battery.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:18 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, how big a deal is it to rebuild the starter yourself? Mine is making a big loud dry grinding noise on startup, makes my skin crawl...I was trying to avoid paying for a new one...
Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

I followed what Brian Perry did (basically):

- disassemble entire starter
- inspection of all parts
- clean all components with Brakleen
- replace brushes (or brush assembly)
- replace solenoid
- clean commutator (light sanding, clean out grooves between copper sections)
- reassemble, using lubricant on gear assembly, solenoid piston, all rotating parts
- use anti-seize compound an all threads during reassembly.

May not solve your grinding problem. This is not the flywheel teeth stripping on the starter gear, is it?

Kevin
Old 03-09-2004, 10:18 AM
josephsc
Race Car

I don't suppose a starter rebuilt can be a 'weekend parking lot wrenching job'?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be no more than that. It takes less than 30 mins to remove it and I suspect no more than an hour or two to rebuild it. I guess the answer depends on who is doing the wrenching?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:40 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

josephsc,

I don't think you can get a "new" starter anymore, at least not inexpensively. Just about everything you'll see out there is rebuilt.

The biggest variable for doing this on a time schedule is the condition of the bendix assembly within the starter, since you are not replacing it. If yours is in good condition, then you could definitely do everything in a few hours. Cleaning the brush material out can take some time. (I took my time and cleaned all parts, repainted some of them.) If you have to replace a damaged bendix assembly and you didn't order a new one, that could set you back some time. If your complaint is slow cranking, you probably won't need to replace it.

To pull the starter, you'll need a 19mm, 13mm, 8mm to remove the starter, and a 13mm to remove the negative battery cable (do this first!). You will probably have to lift the car to get the 19mm into a good position to take off one of the two bolts that hold in the starter.

Once it's removed, I suspect your "rebuild" would be done inside. You'll need a deep 7mm and a couple of sizes of philips head screwdrivers.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:50 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Thanks Kevin -- okay, I'm inspired to do the rebuild myself now. I should be fun. I was thinking of a rebuilt unit, rather than 'new', of course. I saw your old posts -- I'm sure they will come in handy.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:02 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Kevin regarding the Bendix/pinion gear and ordering that early. You have two problems. This starter isn't made anymore. This starter for our 944s turns backasswards, so you need the special gear. I don't know if this is actually 100% true but I have been told that our starter pinion gear is unique to our cars. I do know it takes some time to find a new replacement.

Quick Reply: Stronger starter motor?