Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 vs Rx8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 04:22 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 944S2 vs Rx8

I was reading about the Rx8 and came to thinking to myself about how close proformance numbers are and what one I would rather own for
A.Driving at the track
B.Driving day to day

15 years can the N/A rotor beat the N/A Porsche?
It seems in a strait line that they are a tie (depending on driver)

Cornering? Its hard to say without driving a Rx8 so I can only go on one note. It seems the 944 will have a higher skidpad(its gets a .1 bonus for newer tires) but I think it would loose in something like AutoX.

Comfort? I think the 944 seats fit me better then the Rx8's but for looking as weird as the Rx8's do there not that bad. Also driving it seems to be about the same (driving over bumps) and such but thats diffrence between 16's and 18's.

Day to Day? I thought about this for some time and thought if I had to have 4 people in my car alot the Rx8 would be better because of the way the doors work. Thinking about it though I figured that the tq of the S2 engine would be lots better.

Anyone else have anything to add?

My thoughts are there about even for both track and Day to day
Old 02-23-2004, 04:50 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only read a little about the RX8, but I don't see much usable power coming out from it. For the manual version, I see that it claims 159 lb-ft at 5500RPM -- and gets to 238hp only by revving it all the way to 8500RPM. In comparison, the S2 is 206 lb-ft at 4000RPM. Maybe we can't quite compare RPM numbers to rotary engines, but I'm just not seeing anything coming out from the engine.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:59 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it will be hard to beat the boot in the 944.. It's huge compared to other sport cars.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd reallly like to drive one- I love S2's- our cars are getting old though- this includes 951's & 968's- they do well for what they are & for their age, but, it's getting tough for them to compare w/today's cars- especially day to day- I've talked w/a few Rennlisters off the list, who own other cars & many are putting fewer & fewer miles on their 944's b/c of cars like Audi 1.8T Q- that makes sense- a new Civic w/160HP is kind of a surprise though- other cars, like BMW, Infinity, Lexus, etc, are mentioned...

Our cars are cool- very nice styling- I LOVE the look, & most of the layout, of the interior- I like the exterior too- most of it- I don't like the rear wheel well area at all- nice shape, size (for smaller sports car), etc- I don't like the seating position (OR seats except Sport seats), ESPECIALLY in relation to the SR, as it seems too far back w/the rake of the windshield- I can list pros & cons all day, but... I will say that I LOVE my car enough to spend all kinds of $$$ changing, & mildly tweaking, MANY areas, in an attempt to change a LOT of areas a LITTLE bit, in an attempt to have one REALLY COOL CAR!!!

I hated the RX8 at first, but, it has grown on me- looks much better in person than pics. I HATE that it lost it's turbos- what's the point? They should have INCREASED HP to ~300 & brought TQ a little closer to the same level, while getting slightly more down low, reducing the already light weight another 50-100lbs, giving it a 6-sp w/slightly shorter ratios AND slightly taller top gear (best of BOTH worlds- the REAL reason for- unlike the screwy 968 6-sp crap....)- making it a little better in EVERY area- would be a REALLY COOL CAR! I guess it was not to be... It's obviously much slower- not to mention the fuct that simple mods can't inexpensively add 50-100HP like 3rd gen RX7- too bad... I'd STILL like to drive one though- I was always told that the low TQ & high-winded HP wasn't as big a deal in day to day driving in the turbo as one would think- largely b/c the car was so responsive & so light- RX7's were ~2900 - 2950lbs, 200 - 250lbs lighter than 951/S2. I had an 89 Integra- 118HP @ ~6700 & 103TQ & ~5700 w/7K RL- very little before ~4K when it felt almost as if a tiny turbo had just come on- really wasn't that bad though- my 951S is slightly similar- you get used to driving them & learn to work w/it. The S2 has a much more linear TQ curve though- many people don't like it b/c of this, claiming it doesn't feel fast- I think it feels fast, but not quick- I often times didn't FEEL it, only to bounce of the rev limiter seconds later & notice the speedo showing 3-digits- by contrast, my Integra could be quick (IF driven right) but not fast- would start to really wind out ~4K & you'd feel it. But, my best time ever in that car was 16.2, compared w/best test I've seen of 16.5- avg S2 time's ~14.9....

Overall though, I think I'd probably still want the S2 over the RX8, for either type of driving, UNLESS I needed room for more people- OR, unless the RX8 ends up feeling better than I expect...
Old 02-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

A friend at work bought an RX8 and it is a very nice car. I have not been in it when truly "flogged" but it seems to get up and go quite nicely. Plus that rotoray engine will spin forever with ZERO vibration, at least compared to a piston engine. Fit and finish of the car is very nice and it seems more "solid" than the previous RX7, another friend had one of those and it felt "tinny" and light to the point of being fragile.

As a DD, unless you really need to run the car to redline from stop light to stop sign, it is a very nice car. Hard to beat 14 years of development. Is it better than my S2, to some people, yes, for me no, JMHO.

Now will the car last as well as my 155K mi S2 in 14 years of driving, that remains to be seen.

Cheers
Old 02-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't think of any circumstance where I'd take an RX-8 over an S2. None.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:27 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Riff
Now will the car last as well as my 155K mi S2 in 14 years of driving, that remains to be seen.
So true. With these Japanese cars it's like the flavor of the month. Yes, they're nice. Yes, they come with lots of features, but what about the long haul? To me they only make sense if you have a 2-5 year ownership timeframe in mind, and depreciation will cost you on a new car more than it does to maintain a 944S2.

OTOH our cars may be old but nobody has a difficult time seeing them as classics and they age quite well. It's a different story with the Japanese cars. Perhaps the early Zs are considered classics, and that lone model from the Bond film, but I don't see them aging very well, new or old, to say the least.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I have not driven an Rx8. I had a TT rx7 though, and the handling of that car was seriously impressive. The magazines claim the Rx8 handles better. If so, it may be a challenge for an S2.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:00 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I think the RX-8 is a great car. It gets pretty good gas mileage...looks nice (to me anyway...big fan of uneeded curves...heh), seats four, is actually very comfortable, and pretty much seems to get up and go very well when needed. It is comparable to a standard '00 model Boxster. Handles like a new Z, but with MUCH less in power.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Aleks951
Instructor

I think the RX-8 is a great car for what it is, but personally, I'd prefer a nice S2 over the RX-8. Yes, it is an older car but the money you save over the RX-8 would allow you to perform many upgrades which should allow you to outperform the RX-8. Additionally, in my opinion, the S2 looks much better than the RX-8 as that car looks 'quirky' to me. In the long run I think the S2 will age more gracefully (body design) than the RX-8.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:12 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that quite a few people have been returning the RX-8s for lack of the expected power.....

I've seen a few, they don't do a great deal for me. Then again, I probably couldn't find 10 cars under $100k that I'd purchase new from the 2004/2005 model years....I'm kind of picky
Old 02-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Tom M'Guinn
I had a TT rx7 though, and the handling of that car was seriously impressive. The magazines claim the Rx8 handles better. If so, it may be a challenge for an S2.
Yes, I've heard they handle very well too, &. as far as being a challenge for an S2- from a handling standpoint, IF the RX8 outhandles the RX7, an S2 would be no contest, unless M030, & even then, would STILL not be able to keep up- an S2 w/M030 & equivalent wheel/tire combo should handle as well as a Turbo S, only being limited by it's lack of HP/TQ, BUT, a 3rd Gen RX7 will outhandle a Turbo S- AAMOF, a Turbo S would run WSIR in 1:41 when brand new & the RX7 ran 1:40.2 & it was faster at the 1/4 & up to ~120 or so, although I'm pretty sure the Turbo S would eventually come around it if given enough room, but, am not positive- I DO remember running w/one one night right after getting my Turbo S, which was bone-stock at the time- I was staying right w/him from ~80 - 130 & actually seemed to be pulling him for a second or two right before we shut it down- It was dark & on the freeway- not much traffic at all, but still, not a good place, or time...

What are the times for the RX8- like 1/4 mile, top speed, etc....? What do they weigh?

Also, I agree w/the point about the way our cars are aging- they are STILL some of the nicest looking cars on the road IMO- some slightly larger wheels, 968 mirrors & handles, & the car looks a little more modern & cleaned up.

As for Japanese cars not standing the test of time, I don't see this at ALL! that's DEAD WRONG! Their styling does NOT continue to inspire, however- I'll agree to that- I loved the 3rd Gen RX7 when it came out & thought it was one of the most beautiful cars in existence- I've kind of chilled on that a little, but, I still think it's beautiful- I would like it better w/a non-pop-up headlight front end, like the Miata went too, or something... Would probably save a few pounds that way too... Anyway, the Hondas & Toyotas, Acuras, Nissans, etc, are running into some EXTREMELY high miles...

Old 02-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked around more for Rx8 information so naturaly first thing I do is look for a online Rx8 forum. I came across www.rx8club.com and most of the people on there seem very nice but it must be said they are haveing a crap load of issues. One guy in 10,000miles had his tranny blow 6th gear 6times (you can look it up) and 4 others have had similar problems (with less then 10,000 miles) also they are getting fuel into there oil? or something like that and the oil is foaming... I dunno sounds like really bad stuff to me..

Also in 15 more years what will be in better shape? I have to say S2
In 15 years what will look better? I think the S2
Old 02-23-2004, 03:53 PM
944J
Banned

I didnt know what an rx-8 was until I clicked on the club link in this post, the car doesnt compare in looks to a 944 or any porsche in my opinion... and we all know our cars aren't powerful, my friends honda accord has 240HP stock, but I'd still rather have a 944 than it... the rx-8 is pretty ugly IMO and lots of cars are faster than our 944s...
Old 02-23-2004, 05:18 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

It's not a bad looking car really. At least it stands out compared to all the ho hum me-too look alikes produced from cookie cutters. It does appear a suspiciously gimmicky. And the well publicized under powered rotary does not help to back up those power bulging flared fenders. My biggest beef would be over the rotary's traditional low and mid range torque or lack of it. Having owned a Mazda I don't have much confidence in them on long term endurance. Sure there are exceptions some people can even prove that Hyundai's last forever.

Quick Reply: 944S2 vs Rx8