Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 FAQ - Lets build one

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 01:13 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default 944 FAQ - Lets build one

There has been a lot of talk about having a 944 FAQ on the top of this forum for new people. Just like the 928 Forum has.

Due to some recent threads, Rennlist member Turbo944 suggested we start working on a FAQ. Since I just started my lunch break, I though I would get the ball rolling.

Recent examples as to why a lot of us feel a FAQ is needed:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=110586
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=110986
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=110945
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=110688
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=110749

Yes I know in one of these threads the new user was not the most polite. That's not the point.

Does everybody here remember this?

http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html

I memorized this FAQ back in 95/96 when shopping for my 944S.

Does anybody know who owns this? Just that document alone would help out a lot of new users and the rest of us.

Lets start a list here with everything the FAQ needs.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that idea a lot. It should be a mandatory read before posting as well.

Things i feel should be included-

- Brief explanation of all our major service items
- Why oil is the lifeblood, and should not be neglected or let leak
- Quick difference between models, and what terms are, ie: N/A 951, S, S2
- Most common upgrades
- mentioning of various quirks we get asked over and over, ie: heater clips, sunroof gears, DME relay (and how to put it in), etc...
-TIRE SIZES
- WHEEL SIZES AND SPACINGS
-a link to clark's garage
Old 01-27-2004, 01:53 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Line 1.

CHECK YOUR F'ING GROUNDS!
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a great idea, but we already have a 924/944 FAQ here:

http://www.rennlist.org/main/areas/s...ontent.htm#FAQ

And yes, they belong to Kevin Gross. I'm sure he'd be open to suggestions and contributions, but why reinvent the wheel?
Blue S2
Race Car

We could always post links to previously established FAQ, and then just make a second one for the boards from what we've seen needs to be addressed.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, why miss the obvious.... it'd HAVE to start out by promiting a PPI, describing what's commonly inspected in a PPI, cost and links to past threads of the worst examples where people didn't get PPIs. I think that going into P-car ownership with a healthy bit of fear is a good thing (saved me).
Old 01-27-2004, 02:07 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Perhaps a URL FAQ shortlink at the this forum's main menu would help? This would bring it to newbie's attention before posting their common questions.

EDIT: Actually the FAQ link is already there...but it's not the one we're concerned with.

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
And yes, they belong to Kevin Gross. I'm sure he'd be open to suggestions and contributions, but why reinvent the wheel?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:13 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...since I was the last suggester, I'll drop in some ideas here.

I think it should be broken up into a couple of areas. First should be a statement section/question area for the first time reader:

Welcome to the 924/944/968 forums on Rennlist. First time user here? Ready to post your first question? Not yet! Read all of this first. Why do you ask? Because frankly, it will help you a lot to understand that many of these things happen frequently here and because with a few minutes of your time, you can often find an answer to your question in more detail than you'd ever need than by posting and having to wait for the answer. This FAQ is designed to help you to take advantage of all that we have to offer you, the new owner, the frustrated owner with a problem on their car who has just found us, or the enthusiast/potential owner who wants to get to know these cars more.

1. In your first post, identify yourself a little bit. We don't need your driver's license number, full name, or VIN number, just let us know a little about who you are and where you're from, why you are joining us, and what we might be able to help you with or do for you. If you're a new owner, tell us a little about your car and show us pictures if have some. We love pictures! Then, once you have gone through this FAQ, you'll be very prepared to ask pertinent questions or just introduce yourself to us. You might have several of us nearby that can help with work on your car or you might join us for a drive to enjoy our cars.

2. Use the spell check feature, use punctuation and grammar correctly or as best you can. It makes it easier for us to read and understand so that we can help you better. Not using it makes it hard for us help you and difficult for us to even figure out why you are posting. If you are from another country and don't speak English well, say so and we'll have a frame of reference into perhaps understanding you better and there may be someone else from your country here who can help you in getting your point across.

3. For sale items: From the Rennlist rules and regs. If you are new here and wanting to post a for sale item, read this (wherever it should point to). If you do post something for sale, be aware that we eat, breathe, sleep, and live Porsche here. BS doesn't cut it. If it's not true, don't say it. If you aren't sure, don't say it or let us know that you aren't sure about something. Be honest with us, we've seen a lot of these cars in conditions from basket cases to a primo 1200 mile Turbo S. There is a difference between them. If you are joining up and posting a car for sale, do your best to clean it up and present it in a clean manner. A clean car might find a new home where a dirty car might make someone here consider that even in selling, the condition of the car doesn't mean much to its owner to show a bunch of fanatical Porsche owners.

4. Horsepower from a normally aspirated car. Bigger engine, rebuild to larger displacement, turbo, supercharger or nitrous (covered below). All of these cost a lot of $$$$. Otherwise be realistic in your expectations. It's cheaper, simpler, and would be a much better option to buy a 944 Turbo than to try and turbocharge your NA. If you have a lot of $$$$ and time, by all means, knock yourself out.

5. Nitrous. Yes, you can do it if you are responsible and reasonable using it. No, you can't get a 500 horsepower boost in your 944 from it. Nuff said.

6. Acronyms and other terms of endearment. We have a lot of them. Here they are (should be alphabetically but as we're still adding stuff and I won't try to do them all and in fact, I'm just going to give the acronym!).

RWHP
POS
Big Reds
K26, K27
MBC
FPR
bar (as in boost, not happy hour )

Okay...somebody else's turn....can't spend my whole workday writing this...hehehe
Old 01-27-2004, 02:14 PM
83 TX 944
Racer

Here's a new one to add... The 944 is not a hard car to parallel park. Why does it have a power rack after 83 models?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Turbo944, i think thats a great idea to add!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:32 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by turbo944
4. Horsepower from a normally aspirated car. Bigger engine, rebuild to larger displacement, turbo, supercharger or nitrous (covered below). All of these cost a lot of $$$$. Otherwise be realistic in your expectations. It's cheaper, simpler, and would be a much better option to buy a 944 Turbo than to try and turbocharge your NA. If you have a lot of $$$$ and time, by all means, knock yourself out.

I might make that my new signature. That's classic!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Luis de Prat

In principle it's true, but many links with technical details on that page are no longer available, which makes this FAQ not very useful.
A good FAQ needs to be maintained regularily!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

The 993 guys have an Admin-posted thread that's basically a Guide-To-Common-Threads-So-Don't-Post-'Em in addition to some basic frequently asked questions
well, 2 actually:
here:
993 board summary ! Just finished reading it all

and here:
993 FAQ - New Visitors: Please Read This FAQ First

but I think it's a great idea, I started a thread on this subject awhile ago too, hopefully this one will suceed
Old 01-27-2004, 03:24 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

How do we get something posted to the top? Once something falls off the first page, people forget about it.

I think one of the biggest items needed is a year by year breakdown of differences. These are questions being asked all the time.

Do threads ever get deleted? If not, keep a running list of threads of popular topics in the FAQ so if something new comes up, its easier to find for the person that wants to add info. Also that will bring that topic back to the top.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's not forget the more important questions we see on the board all the time like.....

What color should my girlfriend die her hair
What color should I paint my car
Should I tint my windows
How often do you street race
Can someone run a carfax for me
What's your car's name

If we had a FAQ that addressed those questions we could actually read/reply to posts associated with our cars.

That aside, the FAQ is a good idea guys.

Quick Reply: 944 FAQ - Lets build one