Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of headlights do I have? - now a UK insurance thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What type of headlights do I have? - now a UK insurance thread.

I need to get new headlights for my car and have been asked :

"Are your headlamps the adjustable type?"

Is presume he is talking about the electronic adjustment for load on later cars?
I have never seen an adjustment switch but it is in the engine bay, correct?
The U.S. cars only had this from '89 on, correct? So my car should be the cheaper early type.

Confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by Highway T; 11-22-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:22 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I believe he is talking about the alignment aspect. But them again our vocab is different of this side of the pond.

Christian
Old 11-22-2003, 03:27 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you are talking to some UK supplier. Why he is asking you this for a US spec '87 944S is beyond me. All you need are regular 7" round E-Code lenses for left hand driving lane. Just go into the local retail auto parts store.

Some of the cars did come with a little dial wheel on the dash so you could change the verticle alignment of the headlights on the fly for load conditions but I have never seen it myself and don't know exactly how it worked. None of our cars came with automatic self levelers like the new high end Euro HID lamp equipped cars.

BTW, what is it going to cost to insure a left hand drive car in a left hand road country? I think they really rip you off.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Many thanks and yes it is a UK supplier.

Not sure about the insurance, the car will take 2 months to get there but I wanted the lights waiting for it.

Personally we found the U.S. insurance to be very expensive, even for ordinary cars. When my daily car got hit by hail I understood why! In the UK we do not comonly get tornadoes, hurricanes, golf ball sized hail, earthquakes, etc.

When I left the UK you could get 'classic' insurance on a car 15 years and older and I hope that is still the case. The classic insurance tends to be limited mileage but a lot cheaper and more forgiving of oddball cars. My age is also for once a benefit.

Anyone who has experience of insuring a 'left hooker' in the UK please chip in.

Chris

P.S. Iceshark, well impressed with the ground kit you supplied. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Taffy
Track Day

Chris, cost me about 100 quid more for a 996 (on a fully comp policy). Originally enquired for a RHD then a LHD same year spec and all that. Its with Performance Marques in Brummie. I think some of the other goys here use them...

Once insured a 911 supersport cab on a limited miles 'classic' policy with 'Peart Associates' (I think), not sure if they're still going but were reasonable back then...

Cheers, Richard.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

My UK spec S2 has the wheel on the dash for moving the lights up and down. I've heard the system described as being "As useful as **** on a bull"
They're supposed to work through solenoids mounted to the underside of the 7" light unit. Must admit they do nothing to affect the light adjustment whatever. Otherwise as IceShark says there's no problem fitting R.H.D. 7" units fron any auto electrical supplier - try a LUcas outlet.
Insurance wise I'm with Liverpool Victoria and they quote £285 fully comp with protected bonus on about 6000miles per year - but that's with the full no claims discount. I think we in Britain pay less than our American friends.
Enjoy your car when it arrives.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:19 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bruce '89 s2
I've heard the system described as being "As useful as **** on a bull"

That is a favorite description that my engineer father and his engineer friends like to use for a total POS that doesn't work and never had a chance of working. As we are sitting there in some mess trying to figure out how to get out of it.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:05 AM
adie
Pro

'Classic line' are about the cheapest I found, if it's modified though you'll be looking at Adrian Flux.
'Carroll Nash' is also another co. worth trying. Elephant.co.uk are also giving good quotes, as for parts like heasdlamps try 'german and sweedish' and 'eurocarparts', for the best prices then clubautosport can help you out. Hope that answers your question's. If it is headlamps your after and will make do with standard then my racer has now got a no-light badge panel, the lights are floating around somewhere, I'm going back to the UK for x-mas so i can have a hunt around the garage if you want. (they qwould be free of course, if your flying in to Heathrow you could pick them up from local to airport).
Old 11-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adie, you are a gentleman. I will PM you, thanks.

Thanks for the insurance leads. For comparison my U.S. insurance on the 'S' is US$726 (427 GBP) with an agreed value of $12K, totally stock, no limit on mileage and a clean history/license. The particular company I insured through accepted proof of no claims from foreign companies.

Our total bill for the three cars was $2,047 a year! The Porsche was only slightly more than our 'normal' cars.

Cheers,

Chris

Quick Reply: What type of headlights do I have? - now a UK insurance thread.