Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Does anyone make something like the Gabriel Ready Mount Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:43 PM
dclax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone make something like the Gabriel Ready Mount Struts?

Good morning, planning on replacing the struts on the porsche, but to be honest, Im not a big fan of trying to remove the spring. So my question is does anyone make something like the gabriel ready mounts so you can just drop it in?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:29 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dclax
Good morning, planning on replacing the struts on the porsche, but to be honest, Im not a big fan of trying to remove the spring. So my question is does anyone make something like the gabriel ready mounts so you can just drop it in?

I've not heard of a Ready mount ? Is it a complete strut / spring and
top mount assembly ?

If not any change of shock absorber is going to need the top mount undoing and the spring removing, it's not that hard to do DIY and would not be much cost with any Car garage either !

R
Old 10-05-2016, 05:15 PM
dclax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 924srr27l
I've not heard of a Ready mount ? Is it a complete strut / spring and
top mount assembly ?

If not any change of shock absorber is going to need the top mount undoing and the spring removing, it's not that hard to do DIY and would not be much cost with any Car garage either !

R
Yes, its complete spring, strut, and the top piece. I know its not hard to do DIY, but im not a big fan of compressing that spring. The local garage wants $800 for the struts... and hes not using Bilsteins. And that doesnt include an allignment. If I have to, I guess Ill be rebuilding it.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

The 944 has enough suspension "swing" and fender cut outs that you can remove the spring/strut without needing to compress anything.

Lift the car up in the air and unhook the sway bar from the control arm attachment points.
Put the car back on the ground and loosen the strut top nut until it is on the last few threads.
Slowly lift the car back in the air...the weight of the tire/wheel/etc will cause the suspension to droop and de-compress. Remove the strut top nut the rest of the way.

Usually worn struts will pull themselves from the upper strut mount but sometimes a light whack on the top of the strut will put it through the hole.

The spring will now be loose, you can use your arm strength to wiggle/lever the whole strut slightly towards the back of the car, and then tilt it outwards. Remove the spring, remove the strut insert (or the whole body if a sealed strut car).

As they say...installation is the reverse of removal.

Getting to the point of swapping the strut out is about a 10 minute procedure following these instructions.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:32 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, its complete spring, strut, and the top piece. I know its not hard to do DIY, but im not a big fan of compressing that spring. The local garage wants $800 for the struts... and hes not using Bilsteins. And that doesnt include an allignment. If I have to, I guess Ill be rebuilding it.

$800 to change 2 shock absorbers ! This is way over the top....

Surely there will be other garages that would more like $400 including supply, fit and alignment ?

An new shock Insert is only about $100 ?

R
Old 10-05-2016, 06:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

If your car is a "removable strut insert" type, doing both fronts and both rears should take maybe an hour, total.

The parts will be $300-$400 on their own though for basic Sachs/Boge parts.

Gabriel/Monroe shocks are GARBAGE.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:35 PM
dclax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
The 944 has enough suspension "swing" and fender cut outs that you can remove the spring/strut without needing to compress anything.

Lift the car up in the air and unhook the sway bar from the control arm attachment points.
Put the car back on the ground and loosen the strut top nut until it is on the last few threads.
Slowly lift the car back in the air...the weight of the tire/wheel/etc will cause the suspension to droop and de-compress. Remove the strut top nut the rest of the way.

Usually worn struts will pull themselves from the upper strut mount but sometimes a light whack on the top of the strut will put it through the hole.

The spring will now be loose, you can use your arm strength to wiggle/lever the whole strut slightly towards the back of the car, and then tilt it outwards. Remove the spring, remove the strut insert (or the whole body if a sealed strut car).

Getting to the point of swapping the strut out is about a 10 minute procedure following these instructions.
Thanks! I always heard you had to use the spring compressor thing and then rebuild. Ive heard of some horror stories rebuilding struts...
Old 10-05-2016, 06:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Other cars (like my Subaru) yes, there is NFW without a compressor.

But the 944 is easy...
Old 10-05-2016, 08:03 PM
dclax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 924srr27l
$800 to change 2 shock absorbers ! This is way over the top....

Surely there will be other garages that would more like $400 including supply, fit and alignment ?

An new shock Insert is only about $100 ?

R
The problem around here (suburbs of philly) the shop rate is 100 per hour, so jobs get expensive real quick. They also mark up parts up to 50%. Its very frustrating.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:08 PM
dclax
Intermediate

If your car is a "removable strut insert" type, doing both fronts and both rears should take maybe an hour, total.

The parts will be $300-$400 on their own though for basic Sachs/Boge parts.

Gabriel/Monroe shocks are GARBAGE.
Have to disagree, but I think Gabriel shocks are great! Using them in my f250 in the rear, they even work well offroad. Never had an issue with mine. Id be surprised if I could do my own struts in under 2 hours. When I did my rear shock absorbers (on the porsche with Gabriels) it took 45 minutes.

Looks like the previous shocks were Monroes (they are junk)
Old 10-05-2016, 08:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

What were you stuck on with the rears?
Doing the 944 shocks should be as easy as on your truck...top bolt + bottom bolt...
Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 PM
dclax
Intermediate

What were you stuck on with the rears?
Doing the 944 shocks should be as easy as on your truck...top bolt + bottom bolt...
I have a long driveway, so it takes a while to drag tools down, and when I work on my own vehicles, I take my damn good old time. The longest part of the job is taking and putting tools back. Lol.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like the previous shocks were Monroes (they are junk)
Get a little closer...those look like M030/M474 Koni sport dampers.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 PM
dclax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Get a little closer...those look like M030/M474 Koni sport dampers.
The label wore off, and frankly (not being rude) I didnt care, car failed inspection because of them.

Pictured above are the rear shocks that were on the truck, old on left, new on the right. I usually wait a long while to do shocks on my vehicles.... so unless inspection fails them, I usually dont do them.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I so tried this when I did mine last year. Absolutely no way. I had to compress the springs.

Quick Reply: Does anyone make something like the Gabriel Ready Mount Struts?