Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

First time Porsche Owner, 924s, maintenance questions

Old 09-08-2016, 09:56 PM
dclax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
TO answer the original question, you should do the timing belt, balance belt and all rollers/sprockets every 30,000 miles.
You should change the water pump every 60,000 miles (every other belt change).

You never need to do a valve adjustment.
Over the course of 20 years, and 60 thousand miles, my uncle only changed the belt once, and that was when it snapped. It snapped very recently, about 5 years ago, so about 500 miles ago. Is the timing belt something you can do yourself or can a "standard" garage do it. There arent many German mechanics near me.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

944 timing belt is easy.
People are just "frady-cats" because they spend too much time reading the internet for TB failures.

Just follow in the instructions on clark's-garage, or watch Van's video on youtube.
Even for a first timer it should be maybe a 4-5 hour job. Once you've done it a few times you get down to ~2...
Old 09-12-2016, 05:38 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dclax
Correct, I just checked and they match the doors. The passenger one is badly stained, but the drivers side one is clean.
Those pin stripe seats are pretty rare. Would consider finding a good upholsterer in an attempt to carefully restore as best as possible.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 PM
dclax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Those pin stripe seats are pretty rare. Would consider finding a good upholsterer in an attempt to carefully restore as best as possible.
I will, don't worry. I have some other things to take care of first, hopefully I can find someone good. Currently, there are bigger fish to fry. And btw, cleaned up the car, looks much better than before.

As you can see, the hood turned up nice, trying to keep the car as original as possible. Will probably do the wheels next.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:12 PM
dclax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
944 timing belt is easy.
People are just "frady-cats" because they spend too much time reading the internet for TB failures.

Just follow in the instructions on clark's-garage, or watch Van's video on youtube.
Even for a first timer it should be maybe a 4-5 hour job. Once you've done it a few times you get down to ~2...
Who is van? I only found one guy on youtube doing it, and he didn't speak English. Clark's garage is very helpful, but a timing belt would be the biggest project I'll have undertaken.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time Porsche Owner, 924s, maintenance questions