924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

1987 924s "new owner"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 PM
CPD 128
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 924s "new owner"

I've owned the car since April and just recently found some wheels to replace the hidious ones that were on it.
Odometer is broken, power antenna is humming but it has a pep boys plastic rig in place of the original. Horn is hard to hear, all interior lights are dim and smells like a gas leak when half full.
I'm into it for about 3k. Is it worth the $ to get a full "road worthy" overhaul? Fluids, tires, belts ect?
It's runs well and looks decent. I'll get some pics up.
Thanks Mike
Old 12-07-2015, 04:46 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CPD 128
I've owned the car since April and just recently found some wheels to replace the hidious ones that were on it.
Odometer is broken, power antenna is humming but it has a pep boys plastic rig in place of the original. Horn is hard to hear, all interior lights are dim and smells like a gas leak when half full.
I'm into it for about 3k. Is it worth the $ to get a full "road worthy" overhaul? Fluids, tires, belts ect?
It's runs well and looks decent. I'll get some pics up.
Thanks Mike
Depends what your looking for and like Mike ?
Are these cars getting rare n the US, they are in the Uk.

The odometer will be either a broken cable which runs from the back of the gauge through the front left wheel bearing to a cap which has a square hole and a circlip, it even might of been off and not reconnected ?

The lights might be battery, alternator or due for replacement bulbs,

The horn should be easy / cheap to fix or replace

The antenna also replace?

Fuel smells quite possibly from the filler hose ? needs inspecting...

That should be the mild gremlins out the way, but the rest is general upkeep but belts, fluids and tyres will add up....... to a fair amount

But if you do all that, it should be a good car to enjoy,

Or if your not feeling the love, move it on for somebody else to do...?

What were the hideous wheels? and what have you fitted now 15" ?
Old 12-08-2015, 05:00 PM
CPD 128
Track Day

Thanks for the reply....I'm starting to like the car the more I drive it. I'll do more research over the winter months and decide what route I'll take come spring. As far as the wheels, they were some silly looking 5 spoke wheels, ASA's. I picked up some 15" phone dials local from Craig's list, painted a gunmetal grey, looks much better now. No maintenance records so I really need to start with the basics. I'll do as much wrenching as I can on the "easy" things.
Mike
Old 12-08-2015, 06:02 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply....I'm starting to like the car the more I drive it. I'll do more research over the winter months and decide what route I'll take come spring. As far as the wheels, they were some silly looking 5 spoke wheels, ASA's. I picked up some 15" phone dials local from Craig's list, painted a gunmetal grey, looks much better now. No maintenance records so I really need to start with the basics. I'll do as much wrenching as I can on the "easy" things.
Mike

Way to go Mike, the feel of these cars is like nothing else I've driven, I had a break for about 4 years and had a 3.2 Boxster, then this had to go for financial reasons and once I'd recovered I went for a cheap 944 and the contrast was massive in a bad way !
It felt so agricultural, noisy and everything was much stiffer to operate like the throttle and gearshift this was on the way home having decided to buy it ! 2 hours later I'd morphed and we were as one ! I was back home.........since this one I've had 2 more 944's and my first 924S all 3 of these were totally different...some the handling was pin sharp, the brakes pants, others good brakes but a bit sluggish........One of them had sevral gremlins and seemingly the more I spent the worst it got...after spending $1000 dollars I just got rid....! So there can be some money pits out there like all classic cars........fo you homework, make a list and go with your gut if you Gel with it or not ?

R
Old 12-11-2015, 01:30 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Mike, as mentioned, those things are relatively minor. When you say "gas leak", do you mean the tank leaks gas on the floor or the smell of gas vapors becomes more noticeable? Gas on the floor would obviously be a bad thing.

Without maintenance records, most folks here would worry about the condition of the timing/balance belts, along with their associated rollers. A few hundred dollars in parts, and about 4 hours of time. If you snap a belt, or a roller locks up [just as bad], you'll likely bend most, if not all, of the valves and need to rebuild the head [~$2k].

Just something to keep in mind.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:03 PM
CPD 128
Track Day

Here are a few pics
Old 12-22-2015, 06:45 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking 924. I really like the gun metal finish on the phone dial wheels.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:05 AM
CPD 128
Track Day

Few more...

Old 12-23-2015, 10:07 AM
CPD 128
Track Day

Last ones for now...

Old 12-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

That's a great looking little car mate.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:36 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I trust you have spent some time reading about the 924s and especially how it compares to the 944. If you have, then you know the 924s had a slightly higher top end owing to it being a couple of inches narrower and some 30#s lighter. Really, with the exception of the styling they were not terribly different from it's fraternal twin. Sure, you'll find some alloy rather than steel underneath and the spoiler is a bit smaller on the 924. Oh yes, the steering wheel is a bit lower but all-in-all the 924s is a very affordable deal. $3k so far? That's not all that much.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 AM
88Silver924S
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Grounds, fuel hose

Those engine fuel hoses look like the originals, at least 29 years old. You can replace the underhood ones especially the little one from the damper to the fuel rail. You do not want a fuel leak there. Also check the fuel hoses in the rear, it could be original and ready to refresh with new hose. There are several threads on Rennlist and Pelican etc on how to replace the hoses. I used this guys method on mine and they are tight and dry http://members.rennlist.com/sharkski...-FuelLines.htm

As for the electrics bad grounds can also cause weak performance. You could try cleaning up the grounds that you can find to see if that helps--it's free, just takes time. Do you see much corrosion? Also it is wise to carry a spare DME relay as they are a known weak spot.

A lot of repairs are the same for a 944 so I spend more time on that forum than here. Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:47 PM
CPD 128
Track Day

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'm pretty sure I can handle the smaller jobs The fuel lines, rollers.belts and pumps I'll have to find a shop in the area. From what I've found out on this and other sites is that maintenance is key to the life span of these older cars. I just wish I had the skills to perform them.
Mike
Old 10-18-2016, 06:19 PM
CPD 128
Track Day

UPDATE: Not that anyone is following this thread...
Sold the car and I'm regretting it. I've been searching CL and Rennlist for a replacement. I'd like another 924s but they seem hard to come across.. An early 944 seems more available in my area (Chicago) but the prices seem high $4500- $7500.
Anyone here have any suggestions and/or leads?
Mike
Old 10-19-2016, 04:20 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

UPDATE: Not that anyone is following this thread...Sold the car and I'm regretting it.
Mike, sorry to hear that.

Re: selling...unfortunately, that is often times the case. That was a really, really, clean 924. Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: 1987 924s "new owner"