Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Black 924S - getting nice new paint job - advice?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 03:16 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black 924S - getting nice new paint job - advice?!

hey it's been a while (had a cute but involving baby...)

so i have a friend who works at a body shop that does mostly insurance claim stuff, so i am thinking theyre pretty legit. he looked at my black 924S with pretty bad clear coat "gorbechev" on the front quarter panel, and just an overall tired and beater look to it. there are also 2 small golf ball pings on different spots that they will fill and sand etc.

he asked if i wanted a pearl, i said no thanks, looking for shiny black kind of period style.

the method hes talking about sounds legit, with baking and being done at a real facility etc, but wont take off the weather stripping. does that sound like something where relative success can still be attained.

last topic is i am curious what people do about the bit of moulding on the side. def dont want to lose it entirely, but kinda like the thick ones from Lemans 924S's. any other thoughts there.

its a 2 grand car, that i love to death, and am dreaming of it looking super sweet after this paint work.

any advice, words of caution, thoughts? I'm not expecting to get all my money out of this, mainly want to enjoy having a sweet classic, but also these things are only getting more rare and antique-y.

thanks
Old 03-11-2015, 11:56 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would get a lot more input if you posted in the main 924/944/968 board
Old 03-12-2015, 01:50 AM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh right, my bad.

reposted

lets delete this thread!

(moved to the main 924/944/951/968 board)
Old 03-12-2015, 02:32 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

My advice would be to do a single stage Urethane paint. This vid explains what it is:

I also recommend that you ask about a color like 'Coach Black'. It is a very deep black that look like the Miata below.

As for the moulding...I would keep it. I happen to like it alot. Here is how my car looks:

Quick Reply: Black 924S - getting nice new paint job - advice?!