924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

1988 924s DME

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:30 AM
Scojo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 924s DME

So for the last couple of weeks I've been starting this car using the "Jumper" method. I broke down and ordered a new DME installed it and the fuel pump kicks on and the car turns over but it won't start. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 01-30-2015, 11:47 AM
grenadiers
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started before, but not now. Check the basics, spark, air, fuel. Swapping out the DME, did you get a similar one?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Scojo
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car runs great when I use the "Jumper" method. I connect the 30-87-87b directly, and leave the other wires directly connected to the new DME relay. Then I disconnect the jumper and plug them into the new DME and I hear the fuel pump and it turns over but doesn't start? You mentioned if I got the same DME relay, I noticed the new one is a little bit bigger than the one I replaced, would that be normal?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM
grenadiers
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an electronics guru, but your ignition switch, the plastic part, might not be working. If you're getting direct power with your jumpers, maybe that line could be from the switch. To verify, you'll need a wiring diagram to trace it back to the switch. Or, the switch activates the finger bone, which activates the knee bone, which...

There are two 'relays' in the DME relay, one is for the pump, the other for ignition. Take apart your old one to see how it works. I had a similar problem on my '88, and I took the cover off to verify both relays were working. Getting that relay in and out of the fuse box is difficult. If you remove the cover, hard to get back on. Anyway, they weren't on mine, fuel pump section failed, I replaced the switch, it worked.

Easy process to test, if you have a spare metal ignition switch and key, which I do, you can unplug the pigtail to the plastic switch, and plug it into your spare setup. If it works, then tear apart the steering wheel, and all that fun.

Quick Reply: 1988 924s DME