Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Exhaust ideas.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 PM
C.pan974
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust ideas.

I'm starting to want a bit more of a rumble out of my exhaust, because as it sits right now it's a little underwhelming. With winter coming up I'll have some extra cash to put into a small winter/spring project as I won't/can't be driving my car in the Winnipeg winter. I'm wanting it to be louder but still have that low "growl". I'm not looking for that weed whacker cough'vtec'cough sound, just something I can hear/feel in the car. I've looked up videos of people with 3" straight pipes from the headers back, different mufflers etc. If there's a way to get it to sound similar to a Subaru boxer 4, that would be perfect.
I don't much care for the glass pack sound and full straight pipes are illegal here, so I'm just curious as to what other people have done, and what, if any, are the performance gains or losses from doing so.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Dante924S
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my exhaust on 24S

Heyya I have a 87' 924S and I have msds headers, 2.5inch piping with a high flow cat and a borla muffler and 3 inch tip. It sounds really good, I've had my buds drive it at night around the neighborhood so I could get a good feel for it outside of the car and its totally badass. I jumped in joy and couldn't believe my car sounded so good. Inside the car its got a pretty good rumble to it. No raspy or empty sound at all honestly. When I'm hauling *** I really love the sound of it, I couldn't be happier! It is pretty loud though, so be aware of that too. Performance gains were substantial, I have this buddy of mine that I would race all the time with, I always used to lose until 3rd and the start to catch up and eventually pull on him. Now though, I literally am ahead the whole time and have 2 car lengths on him by 3rd gear. I have no dyno results but I would say an honest 10hp gain, perhaps more pushing towards 20hp. I got a chip soon after which was tuned with a free flowing exhaust and it felt even better. Idle sounded better as well with that chip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust ideas.