924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

Buying a 1987 924s

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 1987 924s

I've been driving 911s for over 25yrs.I sold my 1976 911 about 2yrs ago and really can't afford to buy another 911.I recently saw a 1987 924s for sale but I don't really know much about 924s.Before I take a look I figured I would pick the brains of 924 experts.Here are the stats on the car.The car overheated so the head was rebuilt with timing belt and water pump about 10k ago.It also has new tires and trans axles.All the electrics work except the passenger window only works from the driver's switch.The bushings was replaced on the front end.From the picts the interior is in decent shape with some cracks in the dash.The exterior is in good shape but there is a nice size dent in the driver's door.The A/C was never upgraded so it doesn't blow cold anymore.Also the owner said it shifts fine but sometimes it's hard to get into reverse.This happened to my 911 and it just needed new bushing.I don't know if it's the same on a 924.The odometer shows 80k but the present owner is pretty sure it has been rolled back so milage is pretty much unkown.It's the 3rd owner which is basically a teenager.He brought the car in high school and now away at college and his dad is selling it.Talked to the dad on the phone seems pretty straight forward and honest.Not that it matters but they live in a very affluent town so I think the car got the proper maintence.They are asking $1500 for the car.Let me know the things I should look for or check.I'm going to try to look at it next weeknd.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last months Excellence did a complete article about this subject, I highly recommend you check that out. As for the 924, the engines require a lot of maintenance, a belt job and related hats and oil seals could easily cost as much as your purchase price. The car itself will feel slow compared to a 911 but will handle like it's on RR tracks. Regarding the hard reverse, the shift linkage is long and can get out of adjustment, you might get lucky and only need to tweak that. Otherwise with what you stated, overheating, other factors, you can plan on putting at least a couple gees into it.

Quick Reply: Buying a 1987 924s