No oil pressure + won't prime.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:14 PM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure + won't prime.

Hi guys,

I've just finished replacing my knackered engine and all is well other than I can't get ANY oil pressure.

Zero pressure everywhere. I've had the filter off and cranked it with now't coming out of it so I've poured oil into the centre hole of the filter housing to back fill the pump and then cranked it then did the same, turned the engine over backwards by had then cranked it, now't. THEN I did all that again but filled the housing cente hole up with some STP engine treatment/treacle, backwards by hand, rigged up a bicycle pump with tube to fit the housing cente hold, pressurised it (that even registered on the oil pressure guage) then cranked it with now't coming out.

The replacement engine was sat empty of oil and no filter so I'm assuming the pump has lost its prime.

It does run (I only ran it for a second or three) and the lifters were noisey so there's no oil up top.

I can't imagine the pickup pipe has developed a fault so it has to be pump related.

I'm now at that stage where I want to forget I own it and hope it goes away.

Any ideas?

Remove the pump and pack it with vaseline?

Help!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:14 PM
ihatesissycars
Track Day

PS, the crank bolt is tightened right up, I had to take a run up to do up that bad boy.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
jwade944
Instructor

I'm going by memory here (never a good thing). I think the center post on the oil filter is actually the outlet and goes to the pressure sensor. To prime the pump, you need to fill the outer hole in the filter mount and turn the engine backwards to pull oil into the pump. Then remove the DME relay and the spark plugs and turn the engine with the starter. Since you have seen the pressure gauge work when pressurizing the filter outlet, I will assume the sensor is wired correctly. If you cannot get any pressure, then suspects are the crank bolt that you have already checked, the pressure relief valve and the oil pickup. The pickups have been known to crack and there is also a rubber seal for the pickup tube. If the engine has been dry for a while, this seal may need to be replaced.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
joecitizennn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pack your pump with assembly lube.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

I just bought a 924S that sat for 5 years . It ofcopurse would not build oil pressure . I took a canister used for flushing an a/c system . I removed the oil pressure switch and shot oil into the galley via the switch port . I had G crank the engine over while I shot pressure into the engine with about 100 psi . It helped right away . This was only to help the bearings while I tried to fix the problem . When I work on an old engine w/ the new style pressure releif valve w/this problem I always remove the oil pressure relief valve and replace both the o'rings . Another failure place is the seal for the oil pick up tube . By all means though ck the crank bolt . Let me know how it goes , I've fixed alot of these .
Old 04-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Sorry if this was not clear . I filled the a/c flusher with 20/50 and shot the oil in with it .

Quick Reply: No oil pressure + won't prime.