924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

924S radiator upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 924S radiator upgrade?

For the first two years of Frankies life I have had no problem with overheating on the track. However, during the last few events I decided it was time to really push the car to redline instead of baby shifting at 6200 rpms. I noticed that my car was running much hotter than normal (but still within limits). This was on cool days so I'm starting to worry about next July and August.

I've always run the stock 924S radiator with my 968 engine. Has anyone adapted a larger radiator ot the 924S. Are there better options that are a direct bolt in or will I need to do some fabrication?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to my alignment guy about upgrading the radiator in my car, and he said that the 944 turbo radiator will fit but you have to tweak the lower mount a bit. I woud think that the turbo radiator would be up to the task.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by J Silverman
I was talking to my alignment guy about upgrading the radiator in my car, and he said that the 944 turbo radiator will fit but you have to tweak the lower mount a bit. I woud think that the turbo radiator would be up to the task.
Excellent, that's what I was hoping!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Tim Comeau
Racer

You can mount the 951 radiator if you unbolt the lower radiator shelf, invert it, put some spacers in there about 1/4 inch, put the shelf back, then install the bigger radiator. You're basically dropping the mounting shelf down. The 924S has an early 944 body so the space on top of the radiator is a little less than the late 944's.
ps. The only good thing about religion is the music.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tim Comeau
You can mount the 951 radiator if you unbolt the lower radiator shelf, invert it, put some spacers in there about 1/4 inch, put the shelf back, then install the bigger radiator. You're basically dropping the mounting shelf down. The 924S has an early 944 body so the space on top of the radiator is a little less than the late 944's.
ps. The only good thing about religion is the music.
Thanks Tim, I'll try it. (the radiator mount, not the music )
Old 12-27-2007, 11:57 PM
emoore924
Advanced

PM or email me if you would like details on a 944S rad retro...
Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Tim Comeau
Racer

Lemming,
..at your service.
And remember the parts books show 3 different lower radiator hoses. 1 for early 944's, one for late 944's, and 1 only for the 924S. You can make any one fit in a pinch, but what I'm concerned with here is clearance of the fan blades.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:03 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tim Comeau
but what I'm concerned with here is clearance of the fan blades.
Im having terrible luck with that on my car. Ive eaten 3 of the hoses this year. Best I can get it is with about 1mm of clearance to the blades.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by J Silverman
Im having terrible luck with that on my car. Ive eaten 3 of the hoses this year. Best I can get it is with about 1mm of clearance to the blades.
I can't remember what it looked like when the 2.5 L was in my car, but with the 3.0L I have at least 1" of clearence

My fans are set up on a switch, not on a thermometer. I typically only turn them on when I'm exiting the track and leave them till the car is parked. They are also used when sitting on grid.

EMoore - post the details on the list so everyone can see!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:34 AM
Tim Comeau
Racer

Jason,
Believe it or not....look to the other side of the radiator for the solution!
I've seen this several times....
The hose clamp on the upper radiator hose where it enters the radiator is clocked wrong and strikes the radiator housing. This sometimes prevents the radiator from fitting into the housing well, but more often "pushes" the radiator and thus the FANS to the passenger side of the car---closer to the lower rad hose. Check your rubber mounts on top and bottom of your radiator, too. You have a 924S. The front spoiler is integral with the lower radiator shelf. Any dings in the steel front spoiler affect the position of the radiator shelf. I assume you have the correct 924S lower rad hose?

Quick Reply: 924S radiator upgrade?