Notices
924 and 931 Forum 1976-1988

1980 Porsche 924 Turbo, worth it?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:24 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo, worth it?

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an 84 Porsche 944 so I have been spending most of my time here on the 944/S2 forum. I have a quick question. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo. It's complete, the interior is in decent shape, the seats have some funky checkered flag pattern on them (not sure if it's original), and then the usual stuff, nasty carpet, needs a deep cleaning.

The motor itself "supposedly" runs, but the turbo has gone bad. The guy who's selling it also says that it has a Porsche transmission in it, and not the Audi one (would this be stock?).

The body is damage free, and the paint is actually pretty decent. It's some weird two-tone paint. Silver on top, and a charcoal on the bottom. The wheels are those BBS look-alike wheels. The hood has some SLIGHT rust around the turbo vent, but other than that the body is rust free. I basically needs a complete overhaul.

The guy is selling it for $1,000 and says it has a clear title.

I have a couple of questions:

1 - Is it worth the $1,000 bucks in it's condition? I don't mind spending it, but if the Audi L4 and Turbo are more expensive to work on than the 2.5 Porsche motor then I might re-consider.

2 - Are parts at LEAST as easy to come by as 944 parts?

3 - Is it unreasonable to expect that... down the road when I fix everything up, I can achieve high 14s in the quarter with this 2.0 Audi Turbo? I know that stock numbers are around a flat 16 in the quarter, and a 0-60 of probably low 9s? Is a high 14 achievable with an upgraded turbo, and is such a turbo available?

Thanks guys for any future advice you give me!!!

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 01-01-2007, 02:45 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Those are all stock items mentioned. Does it have 4-lug or 5-lug brakes? The latter were an option, more desireable.

The Turbo engine is no more expensive nor difficult to work on than the 2.5L IMO; the 2.0L NA is actually much simpler, easier, and cheaper.

There are a few harder to find turbo-specific parts, but not much; everything else is easy.

Did I mention timing belts cost $8?

Boost is good. These cars have no IC; if you plumb one in, plenty of power can be made. In fact, more boost can be added with just the addition of high-octane gas; stock boost is only 7psi, and compression is relatively low (around 8:1 depending on year/details).

No idea what 1/4mile times are possible - I find the straight-line stuff pretty boring, stick to the twisties. I'd use your TA and Fiero for the 1/4 mile stuff if I were you - they're much more designed for such.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:38 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Those are all stock items mentioned. Does it have 4-lug or 5-lug brakes? The latter were an option, more desireable.

The Turbo engine is no more expensive nor difficult to work on than the 2.5L IMO; the 2.0L NA is actually much simpler, easier, and cheaper.

There are a few harder to find turbo-specific parts, but not much; everything else is easy.

Did I mention timing belts cost $8?

Boost is good. These cars have no IC; if you plumb one in, plenty of power can be made. In fact, more boost can be added with just the addition of high-octane gas; stock boost is only 7psi, and compression is relatively low (around 8:1 depending on year/details).

No idea what 1/4mile times are possible - I find the straight-line stuff pretty boring, stick to the twisties. I'd use your TA and Fiero for the 1/4 mile stuff if I were you - they're much more designed for such.

Thanks 924Racer, I appreciate the advice. It is in fact a 5 lug.

That sounds pretty decent. You'll have to excuse me though, the only other Turbo I've owned (since learning about cars) was a Volvo 240 Turbo Wagon. How exactly do you add more boost? Does that always require a larger turbo? Or can I make adjustments to the blow-off valve, or something???

Unfortunately, I live in Fort Lauderdale, there is absolutely no such thing as a twisty here in South Florida. Everything is utterly flat, and the roads layed out like a huge square.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
Old 01-01-2007, 07:06 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah well, at least you get to enjoy them all year long!

You would need to mess with the wastegate signal. The common way to do that is to bleed off pressure from the wastegate signal line using a bleeder valve; if you screw up your fittings, though, and they come loose, you have unlimited boost and pop your motor. The smart way to do it with that wastegate (which is a 930 wastegate) is to feed a small amount of boost pressure to the top side of the diaphragm, reducing the pressure differential and making it open later. Need a boost gauge and caution to do it this way, if you don't add an intercooler.

The 951 IC can be fitted in the nose, if you're not afraid of some sheetmetal work and re-plumbing. The 951 IC is just a mass-production version of the 924 GTS IC, after all...
Old 01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Hey guys,

I recently purchased an 84 Porsche 944 so I have been spending most of my time here on the 944/S2 forum. I have a quick question. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo. It's complete, the interior is in decent shape, the seats have some funky checkered flag pattern on them (not sure if it's original), and then the usual stuff, nasty carpet, needs a deep cleaning.

The motor itself "supposedly" runs, but the turbo has gone bad. The guy who's selling it also says that it has a Porsche transmission in it, and not the Audi one (would this be stock?).

The body is damage free, and the paint is actually pretty decent. It's some weird two-tone paint. Silver on top, and a charcoal on the bottom. The wheels are those BBS look-alike wheels. The hood has some SLIGHT rust around the turbo vent, but other than that the body is rust free. I basically needs a complete overhaul.

The guy is selling it for $1,000 and says it has a clear title.

I have a couple of questions:

1 - Is it worth the $1,000 bucks in it's condition? I don't mind spending it, but if the Audi L4 and Turbo are more expensive to work on than the 2.5 Porsche motor then I might re-consider.

2 - Are parts at LEAST as easy to come by as 944 parts?

3 - Is it unreasonable to expect that... down the road when I fix everything up, I can achieve high 14s in the quarter with this 2.0 Audi Turbo? I know that stock numbers are around a flat 16 in the quarter, and a 0-60 of probably low 9s? Is a high 14 achievable with an upgraded turbo, and is such a turbo available?

Thanks guys for any future advice you give me!!!

Todd,
hi Todd,
Sounds like it has the Pasha interior- cloth is irregular sized black and white checker. this pattern was available from 1980 and also found in 911's and 928's.

the g/b is stock for '79-'80 called a G31 or commonly refered to as a 'snailshell' g/b.
its a porsche unit, stronger, smaller and lighter than the audi boxes but with weak and expensive sychromesh in the lower gears.

the turbo engine has a porsche designed and assembled head. The engine is easier in some ways to work on than the n/a, but obviously theres less space in the engine bay. note they are very different, especially if ordering parts.

Check around at how much it will cost to fix said problems before committing.

Look here for performance info http://www.weissach.net/924-944-968_...stSummary.html
Old 02-10-2007, 01:58 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 82 931. Most of the money I spent on the car was on engine internals, so I would bet if the engine is sound you could stem the cash bleeding.

You can turn this into a fast car if you're willing to learn CIS and come up with a fuel enrichment plan, put in a bigger turbo with better drainage, and install some kind of intercooler. Or you could just buy a cheap 86 or 87 and already have something as fast as my 993 to 60 and even faster in the quarter.

Trust me, you're going to blow every bit of eight large if you want a car this fast. Just buy a 951...
Old 02-11-2007, 12:00 PM
ericj001
Advanced

having owned all three varieties of 924 (924 2.0/924S 2.5/931) the 931 is by far the most fun to drive, when it is running right. they can be a bit fickle, all those pesky turbo parts and the CIS fuel injection require attention on occasion, but even so, its well worth it. the rest of it is much easier than the 2.5 to play with imo.
as mentioned above, the g31 box can be the best, or worst tranny to have, depending on its condition. every one ive seen crunches a gear or two on occasion, but then again, it is a racing tranny, lighter weight and made for go fast work.
the 931 isnt for everyone, but considering the platform (bits and pieces from 924's, 944's and 968's can be used for parts and upgrades) and with a few mods you can up the hp a good 25% or so, more than that and it starts to get "involved", but definately possible) it can be a great choice for some.

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2007, 03:55 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually stock 0-60 time is 7seconds for Euro version w/ 170-177hp. It's almost as fast as S2 (6.9s) or 951 220hp version (6.8s). Stock euro version runs easily mid 14's.
US version with it's 20hp lack of power is a bit slower but easily "curable" by upping the boost a bit and even more when installing 951 IC.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any pictures of the car? That might help with us giving our opinion on the car.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

I own two 1980 931s (along with a 928, a 924 NA, and a newly acquired 924S). My comments aren't meant to discourage you, but here are some things to be aware of:
  • a turbo rebuild will cost between $300-$600 depending on the rebuilder and the condition of the internals
  • the 80s were prone to developing cracks on the underside of the 3rd and/or 4th runners of the exhaust manifold. They are difficult (but not impossible) to repair, and good ones from a series 2 (81 or 82) are hard to find. Cracks in the exhaust manifolds=boost leak.
  • by some accounts, you can marginally improve low end grunt and throttle response by upgrading to a series two throttle body, which has a circular throat vs. the oval one that will undoubtedly be on your 80. You will need both the throttle body and the charge tube from an 81 or 82 and maybe a few gaskets, but it should be a direct bolt-on.
  • The snailshell gearbox is the biggest concern. 2nd gear synchros & dogteeth are notorius for being chewed up and destroyed. They are also unique to this particular gear box, no longer manufactured, and therefore unobtanium. Repairing the gearbox will cost ~$1500 from a reputable shop, including the parts, if they can be found or made. There are a few guys in Europe who apparently sourced some newly made bits, but I don't know if they're still available. Despite all of this, you should double check to verify whether the gearbox is LSD or not. If it is, it's definitely worth salvaging. If it's not, you might consider swapping the snailshell for the readily available, easily repairable (but ultimately less fun) Audi gearbox.
  • Aside from 2nd gear, there are lots of commonalities with the snailshell and the 915 gearboxes in particular. Also, if you perform other performance mods, you can use a 915 pressure plate and a stock 931 clutch disc to double your clamping power. I believe it is a direct bolt-on (or nearly so), although I have not yet done it myself (I'm planning it for one of 931s).
  • If you buy the car, register at 924board.org and make liberal use of the 931 forums there. No disrespect to this fine forum, but there is much better information available there on the 924 and 931 than you'll find here.
These items are the most common things that seem to be unique to the 1980 931. You would do well to read up on the litany of other more general 924/931 issues. Again, not to discourage you...it would be great to see another 931 revived...but just trying to give you an idea of what you're in for from someone who owns two!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey 82 t/a, i live in sunny isles. i can give you a hand with mods. also would like to see a pic of that transporter. is it in good shape, selling???
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Its not worth it. No 924 is worth anything no matter how much you think it can beat or resemble a 944/951.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 PM
badmofofosho
I Bad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nitehawk951
Its not worth it. No 924 is worth anything no matter how much you think it can beat or resemble a 944/951.
This guy's spot on, run away, they are all junk....
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, spoken almost like a 911 owner... Go post in your own forum, Newbie!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nitehawk951

You should just grow up, that's all. Then, and ONLY then come and start posting info about Porsches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo, worth it?