Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this junkyard 914?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

IF the bumpers are original it's a '73 with front **** and no rear bumper ****. Also '73's had the sway bars std, and optional in '74. That has rear sway bar.

Have they hauled it out of the field, or are those older pix? Yes a '73 2.0 would be the one to have if it isn't a real earlier 6.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Well, I've got the go ahead from Household 6, but I'm going to have to part with a car. Things being what they are, it's going to be the 951...
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
Have they hauled it out of the field, or are those older pix? Yes a '73 2.0 would be the one to have if it isn't a real earlier 6.
The pics of it out of the field are from this afternoon. He also has a yellow one, of which he sent a bunch of pics. That one is rough...
Old 08-06-2016, 12:52 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

rough as in rusty rough ?

Is that one also a four ? Wouldn't it be cool if it was a sixer ?

The more I look at those photos I am believing it's a '73-2.0 litre and after the previous poster mentioned the sways, I see it as well peeking out at us on the rear.

Am looking up that color.... be right back.

According to 914 World Forum,

It should be paint code :
L96M
Marathon BLUE Metallic
(tag will be on the left door jamb by the hinge)
Old 08-06-2016, 01:47 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

"73 2.0 is a desireable year and car, with all of the good 914 upgrades and thankfully "normal" bumpers, and less smog sh*t.
That will probably be a BIG project, and you'll spend more than the car will be worth when done, but should be fun.
My '73 had more cancer than I thought when I got into it, but it is now better and stronger than new with upgraded longitudionals, etc. I've got MUCH more in it than it's worth to other people, but I've got two great 914's and two boys, so they're staying in the family for another generation (once I'm supposedly willing and able to pass them on).
Post more pix if you do get it... it should get some feedback (and possible flames) especially if posted over at 914world...
Old 08-06-2016, 02:50 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Rough as in rusty.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:55 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My early 914 2.0 litre came from a good part of the world , so it had semi-arid conditions to exist in. There is no rust or scale/flakes anywhere, and no battery boil over due to a stuck voltage regulator. No outside storage where the rainwater would continually bathe the battery (especially without a rain tray in the engine cover, which so many of these had removed by dealers and owners thinking they were curing an overheating issue).

the white 944 came from the same area ( central Montana ) and is a fairly rare 'Sport Touring Package with 28,000 original miles.....

The Carrera came from around San Francisco..... actually just north of there.
The photo of the door jambs show the teener in all it's glory, and showing the day it was granted it's certification and vin # at the factory.

I'll post better ones of the exterior of the 914 once it's cleaned thoroughly. It is a sweetheart that had a lot of love in it's past. All credit for all 3 of these cars go to the previous owners and for their level of care, I am eternally grateful.

Your photos of both cars indicate to me several things :

Not as bad as one has seen.....or as bad as some which have been saved, having great amounts of donor sheet metal welded in. I think both cars are worth a go of it. Especially since they both appear to be 2.0 litre with Appearance Group options and FUCHS wheels.

----- they can all be saved if you have a good vin. Just need time and money

The yellow car looks like a mate to my early built '74 with low serial # and many features of the '73 cars which came before it.... ( silver bullets in dials, chrome washer jets, FUCHS, console with gauges, small rubber bumper over riders, even tho it is a black painted bumper car.
It came from the dry central regions of Montana originally and to me in '94 from the dry central regions of ND.
Everything east of here gets a good dosage of chemical in winter, especially in MN and WI. Some of the wild goose chases made in those states make the two in your pics look like beauty pageant contestants. Several had right rear wheels that were a-goggly about two inches at the bottom. Holes in the bulkhead behind the passenger seat and batteries relocated to rear trunk because there weren't any places to rest the battery as they came from the factory.

that first image is of the latest acquire, 1986 - 944 n/a with 28,000 miles.<br/>Sport Touring pkg, with stabilizers, color matched 16 inch FUCHS, leather Sport Seats, rear wiper, non-restored original paint and interior
I wish I could find and buy cars every day that were as well preserved as these, due to careful owners who lived in a dry part of the world and never drove them in the winter.

The one's you have shown have a bit of concern, but to a 914 metal worker familiar with the needs these have, it may be expensive to restore them, but well worth it in the end.

Best wishes with what your plans entail.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 08-06-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:31 AM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

that is a 73 2.0 a highly desirable car, it is worth 2500 for junk, looks pretty rusty so even though it may be very inexpensive to get running, it may be very very costly to restore. Figure just getting it running and clean it up and enjoy it, NOT try to restore it.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dr914
that is a 73 2.0 a highly desirable car, it is worth 2500 for junk, looks pretty rusty so even though it may be very inexpensive to get running, it may be very very costly to restore. Figure just getting it running and clean it up and enjoy it, NOT try to restore it.
I want a little two-seater to tear-*** around in. Restoring is not on the agenda!
Old 08-11-2016, 07:13 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

buy a bolster! Great value for the money, do everything right, dependable and much much newer! You can get a great one for 9 grand
Old 08-13-2016, 11:16 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

You're correct about a Boxster, but they're also a dime-a-dozen and I've always had a thing for 914s.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this junkyard 914?