Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch state and squeaky noise

Old 06-06-2016, 07:16 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch state and squeaky noise

My 1973 2.0 was just repainted (from bare body / with a number of rust repairs, to original Bahia red). I love the new colour. It radiates red... I will post some pictures soon.
However, this post is to ask a few questions: I just drove 2,100km (ca 1,300miles) over 2 days, going from the Netherlands to Portugal where the car will stay from now on ( I have a house there with a garage that can accommodate a few Porsches...)
The car performed almost flawlessly. A real pleasure to drive. Still plenty of punch in this old engine. And after all the motorway, I enjoyed some twisty roads where the car really performs at its best.
The car did not let me down but a few things were of concern:
- a squeaky 'rotating' noise near the back wheels. Can't hear it when the engine is under load (the engine and exhaust are too loud for that and my ears are in fact still ringing a little... ) but if I sort of coast down on a downhill next to a wall that reflects the sounds it is very noticeable and my son driving next to me could also hear it.
- a possible slipping clutch? Nothing noticeable in lower gears but in 5th if I try to accelerate quickly while already at 60mph or above, the engine will pick up and then rev up like the clutch has slipped (I would release pressure on the gas immediately if that happens and otherwise if I accelerate gradually then there is no problem). I have had the car over 2 years and the clutch has seemed strong otherwise. No idea when it was last replaced by previous (US) owners. I'll talk to my mechanic and I have no problem changing the clutch plate but I am asking because I was surprised this should happen in 5th gear...
- finally, at one petrol refill during my long journey, the car would not start. The battery was clearly fully charged but when turning the key nothing happened as if the starter motor had been disconnected. The car started perfectly after being pushed and the clutch released into 2nd gear. It also started very well at further stops along the way. So not sure what caused the temporary incident.
Sorry these are all 'low tech' questions' and after I talk to my mechanic tomorrow I will hopefully have answers but in the mean time if you have suggestions, I would appreciate.

Chris
P.S. And I promise to post pictures soon (I will need to wash off the 1000 insect victims plastering the front of the car first...)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:33 AM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

A few pictures.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:01 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Update: the question about replacing the clutch was an easy one. Slipping in fifth gear is a clear sign that the clutch is going. It will be replaced next week (provided the parts are available).
Back wheel noise could be bearings but still needs to be confirmed.
Suggestions welcome
Chris
Old 07-18-2016, 08:59 PM
CFM928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Pretty Car!

Starters and connections can be heat related. My 914-6 sometimes did that, only when warm. I chased connections, later discovered it was the battery.

Do you hear the solenoid clicking? It could be the ignition switch. Hard to fix until it breaks completely - IF it ever does... One way to trouble shoot / eliminate is to have a second wire to the solenoid, and connect that to +12 when / if the problem happens again.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:50 AM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CFM928
Starters and connections can be heat related. My 914-6 sometimes did that, only when warm. I chased connections, later discovered it was the battery.

Do you hear the solenoid clicking? It could be the ignition switch. Hard to fix until it breaks completely - IF it ever does... One way to trouble shoot / eliminate is to have a second wire to the solenoid, and connect that to +12 when / if the problem happens again.

Good luck!
Thank you.
The problem has not recurred (yet). I will double check the battery connections. No solenoid clicking noise that I noticed . I will pay more attention to starter sounds...
Cheers
Chris
Old 07-28-2016, 04:40 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

yes clutch is slipping, hot start is typical solved by the bosch WR1 hot start kit, and the squeak could be sticking caliper pistons or em brake cable or poor venting clearance, and on some later models, a rear wheel bearing (but they usually whine)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch state and squeaky noise