Opinions on eBay 914

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:24 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Opinions on eBay 914

Hi guys

I've been looking off and on over the last year for a 914. I do my own work for minor stuff, but I'd like to learn more, and the 914 seems fairly approachable to DIY. I'm no expert mechanic, so for logical reasons, I've been looking for a car that is currently running with minimal rust.

For illogical reasons, I'd like a 1971 in orange

I check Craigslist every week to see if anything comes up close to me, and Renllist from time to time, but I found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131864482572

Any thoughts on the car from the experts? It checks a lot of boxes, but the back/front ride height looks very odd to me, like the rear trunk is full of weight. Normally, I would PPI, but the car is far from me, and the Ebay clock is ticking. Of course, maybe that means I should pass...

Thanks
pf
Old 07-06-2016, 02:48 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Saw that same car at 914 World- sagging rear springs pretty common, but that is really bad on that car. Not that hard to fix.
Not original rear bumper- only '74's had the rear ****, '73 had them just in front. '71 had no **** or bumperettes. Rear bumper on '71 has sharper creases, not the rounded ones like that.
Horrible hub caps- easily fixed.
Main thing is RUST- somebody has to look it over carefully and know what they're looking for. I know that's a broken record, but so true.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks skl!

I found the threads on 914 World. I'm sure I'll be better off waiting for one I can check out in person, eBay is tempting at times!
Old 07-10-2016, 12:23 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Early '71's still had the hard edged rear bumper. Later '71's came with the more rounded one. At least that is what I have been told time and again by "exerts in the field".
Old 07-10-2016, 03:53 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cost of '72/'73 914 2.0 L partial restoration/repairs

Thanks for even a ball park guesstimate, as I have no clue on these items. Owner for last 13 years asking $5000, his sister owned before him. Interior not real clean and overall the body looks decent for the money. Engine started first time and idled well.

Immediate needs:
Speedo repaired or replaced.
New left rear fender due to start of rust from rear end accident.
New rear bumper and smallish area of rust work below the engine lid from rear ender.
Front bumper.
Window/door seals.
Passenger door sill.
Seats.

Recent work:
Front calipers and pads.
rear pads.
new passenger side heat exchanger.

Observations:
floor pan rust free.
exhaust system original except for new exchanger.
all looked good around suspension areas, wheel wells. looks like a 70s car that was not treated like an enthusiast would treat/store it, but nothing out of the ordinary I could see.
Sides looked straight from the front and back corners looking down the sides of the car.

Depending on costs, I might keep for pleasure use, or sell after getting some enjoyment from it.

Thanks for your time.
Todd

Quick Reply: Opinions on eBay 914