Sponsored by:

About Painted Fuchs wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts
Default About Painted Fuchs wheels

anyone here have any of the original cast aluminum fuchs that have been painted?

If so, maybe you can share with me how the painting was done. I just got a set back from a local (and unimpressive) shop, and before I take them back I want to have done a little more homework.

I had mine for less than 24 hours before the black started to chip.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:57 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have refinished several pairs. To get a good finish you really need to sand the pedals and put down a primer then a top coat. I have two sets we race on and they have not chipped in five years. It looks like they did not even lay down primer for the paint to grab hold of.

Steve
Old 07-06-2015, 05:54 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 884 Likes on 535 Posts

Had two sets done by Harvey Weidman and they have held up very well. They look factory. He is the Fuch's guru... you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Briby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree on the multi-step process. Double agree on the recommendation to have someone with a great rep take care of it. Love the painted look, but I know I'd have high blood pressure if I knew there was a chip on my wheels. So I went with polished.

http://www.motoroso.com/531600026cae...8843520/My+914

Would love to know how it went at the shop.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

I had ours done at Al Reed Polishing in CA. Al does an awesome job and is very inexpensive (cheap sounds too 'cheap'). However...you will wait A LONG time for your wheels and get little to no correspondence from him. Just one day (6 months later??) you will get a call for a credit card number, and off they go back to you. But their workmanship is top notch.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-10-2015, 11:25 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I have never liked the polished look on these or the 911 fuchs.

Al Reed is less expensive and faster than Weidman when it comes to restoring or refinishing these. However I believe Weidman does a better job.

I personally like them in the stock anodized factory finish. However, if you are going to add the black, if not done properly, and preparation is the key, they will flake and chip and look bad.

I refinished a set of 914 wheels, like the ones above about 40 years ago. I taped them off tight for the line I wanted and scuffed them with about 600 grit wet paper and followed that with a scotch pad to make sure I did not miss anything. Then I washed them with wax and grease remover, re-taped them, primed and shot them in satin black. They looked like new for years after that. Back then I did not have the $ to have it done by a pro. My current deep sixes are at Weidman Wheels for factory refinishing. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Briby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cairo94507
I have never liked the polished look on these or the 911 fuchs.

Al Reed is less expensive and faster than Weidman when it comes to restoring or refinishing these. However I believe Weidman does a better job.

I personally like them in the stock anodized factory finish. However, if you are going to add the black, if not done properly, and preparation is the key, they will flake and chip and look bad.

I refinished a set of 914 wheels, like the ones above about 40 years ago. I taped them off tight for the line I wanted and scuffed them with about 600 grit wet paper and followed that with a scotch pad to make sure I did not miss anything. Then I washed them with wax and grease remover, re-taped them, primed and shot them in satin black. They looked like new for years after that. Back then I did not have the $ to have it done by a pro. My current deep sixes are at Weidman Wheels for factory refinishing. Good luck.
Awesome on the 914 wheels. I've been debating whether or not to remove the chrome bumper on the 914, which means the fully polished look on the wheels might look off. In which case, I'll want to paint. If I do, I might reach out for a more detailed explanation.

I think my takeaway on the paint is to either have it done by someone good, or be willing to commit to doing them right.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:17 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

I dunno...I still like the polished look...
These were done by Reed

Old 07-15-2015, 09:57 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Bob- Your car looks awesome. On race cars anything goes. I just prefer either stock or RSR finish on my Fuchs.

Quick Reply: About Painted Fuchs wheels