De-Chalonize

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-Chalonize

Hi 914 Community,
Never written on these lands since I'm usually on the 951 side...

I am looking for a 914 to do a fun proyect for my 3 year old kid (supposedly), so it means I have 15 years to finish it.

Anyways since in Puerto Rico they practically don't exist anymore, I found three on an abandoned patio and since they are on top of grass they have their share of rust. None are running, and the best one has a Chalon Body kit. Not to my taste but I was wondering how much work would involve De-Chalonizing it.

I was looking into a GT wide body style...

Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need new front and rear fenders. You have to remove the chalon fiberglass fenders. A lot of the original fenders are cut away for the chalon kit install. So remove the chalon fiberglass and weld in replacement original fenders. Install the metal GT flares while you have the welder handy.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Since the fenders are integrated, any crash repairs tend to be done by cutting and replacing them with donors- I would assume that removing the chalon kit would be the same. I would recommend removing the fiberglass chalon panels first to make sure there is nothing lurking under there.

I also have to ask, is it really cheaper to do the repairs on what I would assume are pretty rusty cars vs. importing? Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance of importation into other countries
Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, I just noticed that all of us on this thread have 951 profile pics- interesting

Quick Reply: De-Chalonize