Sponsored by:

About to buy a 914 and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 532 Posts

Look at pca.org for more local region info...
Old 04-19-2015, 03:21 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

------ but I can't imagine being without my 914.

------ 1.7 wasn't offered for 1974, just 2.0 or 1.8.

------ more worried about rust and fire prevention than induction.

------- The things to concentrate on are rust (!!!) and model year (1974 is a good one).

------- Mid-engined, very lightweight, clever packaging, air-cooled sounds and smells, and early Porsche charm. The 914 isn't for everyone, but those above have it pretty well nailed: The 914 isn't so much a car as a fold.

Pete speaks the truth.....

I agree on all counts. Mine was not the first Porsche. It actually kind of found me after about a 10 year search to find a wholesome, unrusted body. Then, out of nowhere I am presented with an opportunity to acquire a dry, western Montana 2.0 litre with low mileage and no history of rust or accident damage. That was 22 years ago this fall, and I have NEVER looked back even owning other Porsches.

They are so 'elemental' in their appeal. Visually sort of an acquired taste they are; the different sense of apexing , the constant worry the rest of the world isn't really seeing you waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy down there at the height of their Yukon's step plates.

That soft chuffling out the tailpipe with a pleasant sort of eagerness to it's forward 'thrust' of acceleration.
Once you experience all of the lunacy of ownership, your ears will suddenly become deaf to any or all derision made by folks not in tune with your thinking.

Yes, we are a bit of an 'eclectic fold'.

Quick Reply: About to buy a 914 and have some questions