Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

914 Suspension Upgrade-What's best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Brad Waite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 914 Suspension Upgrade-What's best?

I just purchased a 72 914 2.0 which is my first 914. I want to improve the suspension which I'm pretty sure is worn out and would appreciate any recommendations those of you have for what the best setup is. My guess is I'll need shocks/coilovers on all corners, but am curious what spring rates, type of shocks etc. work best for the street on this car.

I have other track cars so don't need anything suited for that purpose. Just want to get the most out of the car with the correct street setup. I'll appreciate any help from those who have developed knowledge around this. Thanks all.

Brad
Old 03-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

For a great street vehicle + some DE track time, I put Koni/gas at all 4 corners, with adjustable coil spring perches out back. Boges if you are on a budget, Bilsteins are right in the middle of cost range. If you are serious about front coil-overs, you could go RSR front struts with the coilovers; OR the JRZ brand struts, shocks + coil overs ;WARNING; the prices get into the stratosphere !
Marty
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Brad Waite
Intermediate

Thanks for your help. The JRZs are great, but not what I need on this car. I think I'll replace the Struts and coil overs with Bilstein and bump up the rear springs a bit to 140 lbs. or so. For the first time in history, I'm not going to go crazy on this car......just want it to drive nice on the street. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Brad Waite
Intermediate

Actually, I probably should consider the Konis to get the adjustable perches. Would make it easier to lower the car somewhat. Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On my personal 914's I've used, Koni Yellows, 19mm front sway bar, 21mm front torsion bars and threaded adjustable setup on the back with 150-175# springs.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 05-02-2015, 11:06 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Since it is a street car, one of the best restoration tips is to replace all the OEM rubber bushings with rubber. The stock 914 suspension was pretty stiff to start with. Put in new rubber and you will be amazed. If you decide to "upgrade" to Delrin or the like you will get a bone jarring ride. Guaranteed.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:46 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I concur 100%. I have had the hard bushings in other 914-6's and this time around I went with all Elephant Racing rubber bushings. I want it to be responsive but not bone jarring. I am also done with squeaks at this point in my life. Unless your car is a dedicated track car, I see no reason for any other type of bushings. As for coil-overs, I love them. But I went with just Bilstein Sports on my Six this time around. Essentially to keep the stock configuration as much as possible.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:08 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I would simply put it back the way it was with the addition of bilstein shocks
new tie rods
new ball joints (look at the bottom of the 72 strut to balljoint hole for wear
new front wheel bearings
front bilstein shocks
rear stock spring set
rear bilstein shocks
rear wheel bearings
rebuilt cv axles
195/65x15 tires on 5.5 rims

that should set up a street car nicely. No need for sway bars or heavier springs
Originally Posted by Brad Waite
I just purchased a 72 914 2.0 which is my first 914. I want to improve the suspension which I'm pretty sure is worn out and would appreciate any recommendations those of you have for what the best setup is. My guess is I'll need shocks/coilovers on all corners, but am curious what spring rates, type of shocks etc. work best for the street on this car.

I have other track cars so don't need anything suited for that purpose. Just want to get the most out of the car with the correct street setup. I'll appreciate any help from those who have developed knowledge around this. Thanks all.

Brad

Quick Reply: 914 Suspension Upgrade-What's best?