Sponsored by:

914 coming to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 914 coming to the stable

I am buying a 2.0l from 1973, sourced from California and pretty much rust free.
The car is currently having a few things done such as:
replaced blower motor, installed electrical pump for windscreen washer, new leather interior, replacing aged rubbers around cockpit, replacing side mirrors with period ones.
Let me know if there are key upgrades I should think about.
Finally one question regarding the wheels. It currently has the alloy Fuchs (?) wheels as per below picture. I could do a swap with the ones on the green 914 also pictured below. Not sure if the latter are genuine period Fuchs?
Really looking forward to driving this old lady around. More character than a Miata I think and cheaper than a Boxster...
Chris

P.S. I bought it from this place: http://www.stolzeclassiccars.nl/
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

You should keep the Fuchs that are on it. The wheels on the other car are Riviera aftermarket wheels- very popular at the time because they were 5 spoke wheels with 4 bolt hubs. Not nearly as desireable. If you want 5 spokes, convert it to 5 bolt hubs etc and put real rose petals on it.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Glad you're replacing those mirrors! They look hideous...

Welcome to the 914 club!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
Glad you're replacing those mirrors! They look hideous...

Welcome to the 914 club!
Thanks I had been considering a 914 for quite some time. But definitely keeping the 993 as well.

Originally Posted by skl
You should keep the Fuchs that are on it. The wheels on the other car are Riviera aftermarket wheels- very popular at the time because they were 5 spoke wheels with 4 bolt hubs. Not nearly as desireable. If you want 5 spokes, convert it to 5 bolt hubs etc and put real rose petals on it.
Exactly the sort of advice that I was looking for. RL is great!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Yes, keep the 993. Wish I still had my '95 coupe, and my '71 914-6 (a real one) , etc etc etc...
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Do not swap for the aftermarket wheels on the green car. If you swap for anything, do the 5 lug conversion and put a nice set of Fuchs on the car, finished as they came from the factory. Personally, I would shop for the deep sixes, they are 15x6, they are a bit expensive, but they look perfect on these cars. If you consider going that route, contact Eric Shae at PMB Performance in Utah. He can hook you up with everything you would need to do it right. Beautiful car BTW- good luck.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

+100 on Eric. Many things on both 914's from him. He even personally delivered some parts to DM when on his way through to a swap meet from the west!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cairo94507
Do not swap for the aftermarket wheels on the green car. If you swap for anything, do the 5 lug conversion and put a nice set of Fuchs on the car, finished as they came from the factory. Personally, I would shop for the deep sixes, they are 15x6, they are a bit expensive, but they look perfect on these cars. If you consider going that route, contact Eric Shae at PMB Performance in Utah. He can hook you up with everything you would need to do it right. Beautiful car BTW- good luck.
Thanks for the tips. I have not taken delivery of the car yet as the re-upholstering takes time. I will see how it looks and feels when I get it home and then decide if I need to slip a bit down the slippery slope...
Utah by the way is out of reach from The Netherlands but I could surely contact Eric for advice (or parts if he ships internationally).
I had another look at the Riviera wheels and it is definitely not for me, but on the other hand I really like the look of the Fuchs deep sixes - that's what I had in mind.

Last edited by NeufCentOnze; 08-30-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
+1 on the wheels; the ones on it are the alloy option. With original side mirrors that will be a very nice 914. Such fun cars.

Quick Reply: 914 coming to the stable